ForumsTips & TricksSuggestion: Contingent tasks

Suggestion: Contingent tasks
kathymacmillan

Posted: May 22, 2018
Score: 5 Reference
I have no idea how this would work from a technical standpoint, but from a user standpoint a feature that would be super useful to me is to be able to set up a task to be contingent upon the completion of another task. For example, as a writer, I might have separate tasks for "write chapter 1", "edit chapter 1", and "turn in chapter 1 to editor", but obviously I can't do the second and third until the first is completed. And I can make up due dates based on when I *hope* the first will get done, but it would be super cool if I could set up something where those other tasks don't appear on my to-do list *until* the first task is completed, and if they would automatically be assigned a due date or start date based on when the first task was done. I could see this be a super valuable feature for many different types of tasks, especially in multi-step projects.
Purveyor

Score: 0 Reference
Take a look at this topic: Making one task dependent on another.

In Linking Tasks by tasks that proceed another one, Jake says this:
We know that people really want task dependency so that tasks are automatically hidden if they are dependent on another task, and we do plan to build this. For me, it is much faster and more efficient to manage this manually with a weekly review that it would be to record all the complex inter-relationships between all my tasks.

This message was edited May 22, 2018.
cj

Score: 1 Reference
Posted by Purveyor:
Take a look at this topic: Making one task dependent on another.

In Linking Tasks by tasks that proceed another one, Jake says this:
We know that people really want task dependency so that tasks are automatically hidden if they are dependent on another task, and we do plan to build this. For me, it is much faster and more efficient to manage this manually with a weekly review that it would be to record all the complex inter-relationships between all my tasks.

so ... basically, if the lead developer doesn't find it useful for their own use, then ... forget about any users asking for the feature ...
seems to be the case, since it has been NINE years since Jake replied to the feature request with that comment.
shelbyp

Posted: May 23, 2018
Score: 5 Reference
This is a very clever idea and I definitely add my vote to up the priority. This would immediately solve the biggest issue I have with Toodledo:

I have a set of recurring tasks which I would like to execute in sequence. they are not high priority. However currently they clutter my task list especially when things become overdue. The contingent task feature is exactly what is needed so that I only see the current one. I hope this is implemented someday and it needs to work correctly for recurring tasks.

I have been trying for years to solve this, I have tried modelling these tasks as habits, subtasks and even outlines and using saved searches, but none do the job satisfactorily. Really the contingent task or linked task is exactly what is needed to solve this. I see many applications for this!
debbiegalecsr

Posted: Jun 19, 2018
Score: 0 Reference
This would also assist me. As a court reporter, my transcripts go from translating to editing, to spellcheck and research, to proofreading, to corrections, to certifying and delivery, and finally to being filed with the court. At minimum myself and one other person is involved, but there could be multiple assistants on a large trial. One step cannot be completed until the step before it is done.

I have often thought about writing an article about ToodleDo for the US Court Reporters Association to share how I use it for my transcripts, so others can sign in and benefit; but I've been waiting for something like this last element to be implemented before I recommend it to the court reporters nationwide.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.