ForumsTips & TricksNew to Toodledo - Project and Context Clarification

New to Toodledo - Project and Context Clarification
dp

Posted: Aug 04, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Hi guys,
just wondering if I am on the right track.

I am GTD user - have been for a number of years and I have turned to Toodledo to get this practice in to my iPhone.

As I use GTD, I create projects / subprojects and assign actions. Actions are kept in Categories and I see that Toodledo maps Categories to Folders. Folders as I understand it are used as a sub for Projects.

My question, and apologies for taking so long, how are actions mapped out to Toodledo?

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to map actions to Context? And then read project and map to Folders?

I understand for subprojects I will need to upgrade - thats fine.

If anyone can shed some light, I feel like I have missed something all together.

Thanks in Advance
DP
Anders

In terms of the mapping you mention, I will assume you are using the 3rd party Outlook sync tool. Toodledo doesn't map anything. The developer of that sync tool chose those pairings, and a lot of people have been asking for Categories to be mapped to Contexts on Toodledo. There is a version of the sync tool currently being testes that does that.

One of the great things about Toodledo is the flexibility it offers, but that can make it tricky to first set up your system. Non-Pro users most commonly seem to use either Folders or Tags for Projects, but many Pro users use tasks with subtasks as Projects, and use Folders for more broad areas of focus (this is what I do).

I am not very well versed on GTD, though I plan to read the book very soon, and I am not sure what you mean by Actions, but it sounds similar to the Toodledo Status field which includes Next Action, Waiting, Someday, etc.

For a lot of good tips on using GTD with Toodledo, I would recommend checking out the Getting Things Done forum here. For questions about the Outlook sync tool, use the Third Party Applications forum, where the developer can find them. If you are interested in checking outthe new version of the tool that maps Categories to Contexts, see this thread: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/8/2369/0/outlook-sync-beta-testers-wanted.html
You can also find out more about the sync tool on the developer's site: http://www.chromadrake.com/ChromaticDragon/software/ToodledoSyncInfo.aspx

I hope that helps somewhat.

This message was edited Aug 04, 2009.
Proximo

I created a Basic GTD Workflow in the GTD section of the forums.

https://www.toodledo.com/forums/5/2625/-1/gtd-workflow.html#newest
dp

Thanks guys,
that helps.

Anders, you are right the more I think about it, it does come down to the synchronisation tool and how that maps things back in to Toodledo.

Thanks for your help.

DP
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.