ForumsTips & TricksJott interoperability

Jott interoperability
Donnie

Posted: May 16, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
Posted by Toodledo:
Setting the folder/context/etc cannot currently be done with Jott, but this is something that we are thinking about for the future.

I signed up for Toodledo a month ago - and have yet to enter any tasks. I didn't want to invest the time into yet another GTD method that I'd have to abandon later.

I was brought to Toodledo by Jott (a service which I now find indispensable) and persuaded to sign up based on Toodledo's comparison chart.

Finding out that the Jott link to Toodledo is minimal/crippled is a BIG disappointment. I hope that the powers that be at Toodledo will put some time and energy into this. (At least get the Inbox right!) Jott-to-GTD-Inbox represents 80% or more of my usage!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Have you tried using the "via" field in the search view to create a Jott inbox? If you create a saved search for the via=Jott field, you will always have an instant list of all tasks that came in through Jott. You can use this to sort your tasks after they have been entered.

The reason that we have not yet added folder/context/etc from Jott is because Jott's voice to text accuracy is not 100% and there is no way to provide feedback from Toodledo back to Jott about how we understood your commands. The problem is that if Jott does not accurately understand which folder/context you say, it will not be put into the proper folder/context (unbeknownst to you) and this may cause problems if you expect the task to be there. As it is, you can use Jott to quickly stick the task into your inbox and then properly sort it later.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Since your post, I've been thinking about it more and more and I even did a test with Jott to see how it would work, with humorous results. Here is an example that illustrates the problem that I described earlier.

I called Jott and said "Hello, this is a task. Folder work. Context phone. Due tomorrow."

This is what Jott transcribed into my account: "Hello, it is a task builder work, contact phone do(?) tomorrow."

As you can see. The special keywords "folder", "context" and "due" were incorrectly translated. With this amount of inaccuracy, Toodledo would be unable to properly place the task into the correct folder and context 100% of the time.
Scott Forbes

Posted: May 18, 2008
Would it be possible to insert the URL for Jott's "Listen to X's message" link into the Notes field of the created task? It wouldn't fix transcription problems directly, but at least you could go back and do a better job of understanding your own voice. :-)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 18, 2008
Actually, we already do put the "Listen Link" in the notes of a Jotted task. Are you not seeing it?
Qrystal

Posted: May 20, 2008
I think David Allen would approve of using Jott as a GTD tool for the collection stage, and that you process the tasks later through a more flexible interface to Toodledo.

I personally have multiple collection methods (twitter, jott, firefox add-on) and occasionally I'll use the web interface "really quickly" to add a task...

The way I ensure it will be in my Inbox is to give it No Folder, and the ONLY things that are in No Folder are the ones that are yet to be processed -- thus, it is a perfectly functioning Inbox.

This issue seems to come up so often, I want to suggest an idea to Toodledo...
...How about an option in settings: Rename "No Folder" to "Inbox"? :P

This message was edited May 20, 2008.
Kevin

Posted: May 23, 2008
I concur think using Jott to get things to the inbox is exactly the way David Allen would recommend it. I think trying to put stuff into your inbox and process it at the same time is somewhat GTD-contrary. One of the things that David warns about is the "purge and organize virus", in which people get caught up in a task they've identified.

I agree that there ought to be a default "Inbox" instead of "no folder," or at least the option for such an inbox.
Tim Glinatsis

Posted: Jul 14, 2008
I'm actually a big fan of the Jott integration here. I was hoping that my setting my default context to "inbox," that all incoming Jotts would show up under that context. Instead, they're coming under "No Context."

Is there a workaround for this? I would expect that anything that comes in *without* a context specified would end up in the inbox, per the default setting...but it's just not the case for me.

Any thoughts?

(PS - Toodledo is seriously rocking my GTD world right now. Kudos.)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 15, 2008
Currently, the default context is only used to prefill the context field when adding a task via the website. This gives you the ability to change the context before adding the task. If we were to use the default context for tasks coming in via other menas (Jott for example) there would not be an opportunity to change the context and some tasks would therefore get incorrectly labeled.

One thing you should consider doing is making a saved search using the "Via Jott" search term. You could even add "Context is none" to the search to quickly find all the tasks that have been added via Jott that have not yet been processed.

Hope that helps
sherm

Posted: Jul 26, 2008
Hi, korbas: amazingly helpful tip. It was driving me nuts that Jott couldn't understand it when I said "Toodledo." I just now changed the Jott link name to "Too Do" and it worked perfectly for the first time. Thanks!
CJD

Posted: Jul 30, 2008
Guys should check out Jott and toodledo iphone interface both are killer.
rleber

Posted: Aug 03, 2008
I'm having problems getting the Jott connection to work. I can see Toodledo listed in my Links on Jott, and Toodledo says I have authorized a Jott connection. Yet nothing shows up anywhere in my task list on Toodledo when I send a Jott to Toodledo, even though Jott says it has been sent. Any suggestions?
ohsusannaf

Posted: Dec 31, 2008
Do you have to use the Toll Free number to post from JOTT to ToodleDo. Is it possible to just use the RECORD feature in JOTT on the IPhone and some how it will appear in ToodleDo? I don't want to dial everytime. The tap and record feature is so great.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 31, 2008
This is a question for Jott's technical support, but I'm pretty sure it only works with the toll free number. I'm not sure why Jott does it this way, you might want to ask them.
1968eric

Posted: Feb 20, 2009
Posted by Toodledo:

One thing you should consider doing is making a saved search using the "Via Jott" search term. You could even add "Context is none" to the search to quickly find all the tasks that have been added via Jott that have not yet been processed.

Hope that helps[/quote]

It helps a little by making the lack of a solution more convenient to deal with, but there's still a lack of a solution.

The entire purpose of using Jott to add to Toodledo is for those quick, spur of the moment-before I forget, type things. The way I use Toodledo I don't usually see things with no priority, no context, etc. Having to do searches, while easier than manual digging for the buried Jott, is still the kind of hassle no one wants to deal with in conjunction with tasks added by Jott.

Is there no way you can at least add a setting for a default folder, priority, or "due today" for Jott-added to-dos? Anything better than "do a search for it?"

This message was edited Feb 20, 2009.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Feb 22, 2009
Yes, we plan to have the default settings also work for tasks added via Jott.
joshroman

Posted: Mar 17, 2009
+1 for setting a default for Jotts. They can get buried in "No Context" "No Folder" "No Due Date" far too easily and spend a week (or more) there before a Weekly (Monthly?) Review. Thanks guys!
egerter

Posted: Jun 02, 2009
Defaults for Jotts +1
fencepost

Posted: Aug 14, 2009
Another +1 for that. Preferably a Folder or Context, because I'm also starting to use TaskJot and it doesn't have the same level of support for tags.
Once it's on your list, it's easy to move items from a "Jott" folder to whereever it's supposed to be.
Lance

Posted: Aug 14, 2009
Posted by Kevin:
I concur think using Jott to get things to the inbox is exactly the way David Allen would recommend it. I think trying to put stuff into your inbox and process it at the same time is somewhat GTD-contrary.

This is right on the money. I learned about Jott from an interview David Allen had with Jott's developers. David is a big fan of Jott and uses it to 'Capture'. He then will process the data later at the appropriate time.

I use Jott in the car all the time w/hands free headset. So another vote here for defaults for Jott!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.