ForumsTips & TricksA tip, an issue, and a feature request

A tip, an issue, and a feature request
Levi Wallach

Posted: Mar 18, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I've just started playing with Toodledo and trying to implement a GTD system with it. Toodledo has some of the features that are part of GTD, but there are things that aren't set up the way I would like. There are various workarounds and one such that I've discovered is a greasmonkey script:

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/41369

This lets you replace text on a page with some other text. What I'm currently using this for is to replace "No Folder" with "Inbox" In GTD, your "inbox" is where you collect stuff to later process. In Toodledo if you don't specify a folder, then your tasks are assigned as "no folder." Sure it's a minor thing and a matter of semantics, but I've seen others actually create a separate folder called "inbox", but really what's the point if you can rename "no folder"?

While the above works well (for me), there are other items I want to do this for that don't work quite as well. For example, many of the status items in Toodledo are not part of GTD, or are called something else. I've tried to rename these, and they do appear renamed as plain text, but in form pull-down lists they are still the original name. Oddly, "Inbox" DOES show up fine in the pull-downs, but statuses do not. So my question is, is there any way to get this to work. I've tried messing with the script but haven't had any luck. I'm sure it's something about how the status option entries are created by toodledo which is different from the folder options, but I can't quite figure out how.

Finally, it would be great if we were able to actually rename the status fields and even remove some that were not relevant to us, but at least a renaming ability would be a nice feature. And while you're at it, maybe even have a way to edit the "no folders" or at least give you choice between that and "inbox"?

An important note here I've not mentioned is the limitation that this script is only going to rename things on the machine(s) you have it installed on, so if you look at toodledo on your phone (or any other browser that you haven't messed with previously or that can't run such scripts), the old names will still show, which is why being able to rename them would be the optimal solution...
PeterW 

Posted: Mar 18, 2010
I've asked elsewhere in other threads but will say it again... I also want to rename No Folder to Inbox.
Levi Wallach

Posted: Mar 19, 2010
Posted by PeterW:
I've asked elsewhere in other threads but will say it again... I also want to rename Inbox to Inbox.

Peter, it's a hack, but the script that I link to above at least fixes this in Firefox...
PeterW 

Posted: Mar 19, 2010
Posted by Levi Wallach:
Peter, it's a hack, but the script that I link to above at least fixes this in Firefox...

Thanks Levi - I will take a look at it this weekend.
NoCatharsis

Posted: Apr 08, 2010
Maybe I'm misunderstanding this question, but...

Can't you just go add Inbox as a Folder in the Folders edit menu, then change your new tasks to default to the Inbox folder on creation within the Account Settings?

That's what I did and it was very simple to do. That's why I feel like I'm not understanding your question completely.
PeterW 

Posted: Apr 09, 2010
Some users (me for one) use Appigo Todo on the iPhone and sync it with the Toodledo website. Appigo Todo has a dedicated Inbox folder so if I create an Inbox folder on Toodledo, I then have two Inboxes on the iPhone in Appigo Todo - not good.
Levi Wallach

@nocatharsis, I hadn't thought of the default folder and that's a good point. Will that work no matter what way you choose to enter your task (eg web vs. ff plugin vs. mobile app)?

If so it may or may not be useful for the inbox, but you can also use this greasemonkey script to change the names of statuses and other items that are otherwise not changeable in Toodledo. Apparently being able to change them is amongst the huge number of items on Toodledo's list of intended changes, but who knows when any of them will come about.

I would like to figure out a way to get this to work in pulldowns for statuses, but I'm not sure if it's possible...
Andrew A

A friend uses a Nexus and his third-party Toodledo app basically treats TD's "no folder" as the inbox, but I would think that is a design decision they, third party folks, made. I like having a no folder option (and if it can be renamed someday, why not), but perhaps the third-party app folks could scan for a folder called inbox (which we are all capable of creating) and not duplicate it? I mean, even if you rename no folder to inbox the same issue will crop up unless they adjust their code, no? So they have to do the work anyway. Problem Solved.

btw: I treat no folder as an inbox of sorts, though most of my "in" is outside of toodledo.
Levi Wallach

Looks like the FF plugin does not use the default items, so if I enter a task with it and don't pick a folder, it puts it in no folder
NoCatharsis

I see what you mean now - basically it's an interface problem between the systems. I've only ever used the browser UI so I hadn't seen that side of things.

Though I am new to the forums here, the handful of posts I've read specify that Toodledo is not necessarily GTD-specific. Perhaps that's what the developers were keeping on their mind with the "No Folder" default.

Anyway, instead of the Greasemonkey script (which I've always heard about but have never actually tried so forgive the ignorance), how about if you enter all you need from the 3rd party app then go into the browser UI later at your computer. Set up a Saved Search for all Folders = "No Folder" then change them to the Inbox using Multi-Edit.

Is similar to what you're doing with the script now as it is?
Levi Wallach

@nocatharsis, I don't know how familiar you are with GTD, but the inbox is not something you're supposed to really have stuff in. So if you have the time to go into the app to change stuff to the Inbox folder, you might as well categorize it and put it in the real folder it should be in. For now I've created an actual inbox folder and just changed one of my filters so it picks up stuff from both Inbox and No Folder when looking for stuff that needs processing/correcting. I don't think this is any simpler than my previous tactic, but it does get around the fact that the greasemonkey script only works in firefox and not the mobile app/browser. 6 of 1 half dozen of another I guess.
Andrew A

@Levi.

Yeah that has always sort of been my take on it and wondered what good a digital one was and why my "Inbox" is outside since I try to process whatever is in my real world inbox into some context or project/folder or action as I process it into toodledo.

About the only thing that ends up in "no folder" for me are forwarded emails I know I have to do something with but haven't yet read and cant read for whatever reason.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.