ForumsTips & TricksPhraseExpress

PhraseExpress
Stuart

Posted: May 05, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I just thought I'd share with you all the benefits I get using this application (windows).

Using proximos GTD setup as I do, I find that, as a log or reference, I am typing in dates often into Toodledo's notes field. I use Phrase Express using its macros facility to quickly add a date using a quick keystroke. For example,

dt# automatically puts today's date in the notes filed
yd# puts in yesterday's date
ct# puts in the current time
lu# puts in a 'last updated' time and date
dc# - puts in a date completed

(Note these are personal customised shortcuts, you can use any key combo)

This is only scratching the surface of this application, using the set up it can autocorrect typing like the iphone keyboard.

As we are all busy people, finding little short cuts often gives you the impression of real productivity gains even when those gains are just seconds.

Stuart.

This message was edited May 05, 2010.
PeterW 

Looks great, but it's not cheap!
Stuart

Its freeware for personal use.

http://www.phraseexpress.com/freeware.htm
PeterW 

Yeah, but I would be using it 'commercially', i.e. at work. So to get all the best features it's $139. Not cheap for a utility.
johnwin

AutoHotKey or Fingertips will replicate these functions (and lots more!) for free

www.autohotkey.com
www.getfingertips.com
Stuart

Posted: May 06, 2010
@PeterW - yep fair enough, I must admit I didn't realise it was that expensive!, only using it for personal use etc.
Michael

Posted: May 17, 2010
Hi folks,

thank you for using PhraseExpress.

Only the top version cost $139. The Standard Edition that offers most features you may ever need at only $49.95: http://shop.phraseexpress.com

Here is a complete feature list:
http://www.phraseexpress.com/features.htm

Our blog with tips and tricks about PhraseExpress:
http://www.text-expander.com

Michael
PhraseExpress Team

This message was edited May 17, 2010.
wim.andrea

Posted: May 25, 2010
I use Texter (Windows) for likewise actions. It's free:

http://lifehacker.com/238306/lifehacker-code-texter-windows

W. Andrea

This message was edited May 25, 2010.
Sytone

Posted: May 25, 2010
I have a simlar script for testing applications, just did a quick switch to the format you used. I personally perfer hot keys than replacement.

Auto Hot Key Script:

; Script Starts Here

#Hotstring EndChars -()[]{}:;'"/\,.?!`n `t #

::dt::
FormatTime, TimeString,, yyyy-MM-dd
SendInput %TimeString%
return
::yd::
ytd =
ytd += -1,days
FormatTime, TimeString,%ytd%, yyyy-MM-dd
SendInput %TimeString%
return
::ct::
FormatTime, TimeString,, HH:mm:ss
SendInput %TimeString%
return
::lu::
FormatTime, TimeString,, yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss
SendInput Last Updated %TimeString%
return
::dc::
FormatTime, TimeString,, yyyy-MM-dd
SendInput Completed On %TimeString%
return

; Script Ends Here
derosajohanna

Posted: Jun 30, 2010
Hi guys!

I am new here and in all honesty, probably do not belong here. (heh heh). But I am desperate for a solution to an annoying little problem. I'd be eternally grateful!

For my work, I have to transcribe audio files into an online web form, and then submit what I have entered into the form.

The way that we have to listen to the audio files is through this same webpage. Above the form where I type in the text, there is a Quicktime application running in the form of just an audio-control bar. That's all it is. Just a sliding bar with a pause/play button, etc.

So it slows down the work considerably when the only way to pause/restart, or listen to something again, is to remove your hands from the keyboard and manipulate the Quicktime bar using the mouse. THEN to start typing again, you must go back to the web form and click in it to get your cursor to go back there rather than be controlling the Quicktime bar.

There have been rumours that you can use Phrase Express or similar to create some kind of hotkey to switch between the quicktime control and the typing. But I'm danged if I can figure out how to do it. I've downloaded both Phrase Express and Autohotkey, but I've never done this sort of thing before and I can't work out what kind of a command I would need.

I have tried the normal keyboard shortcuts you can use, like switching between applications, etc.... They seem to be of no use because they'll switch entirely out of the webpage I am using. I need something that will switch back and forth from the web form and the quicktime control, but not leave the webpage I am on and not interfere with any of the other functions on the webpage.

(for example, I did find some sort of shortcut which paused the audio for me - but the only problem was it wasn't much use because I had no way of switching back into the web form. So I still had to use the mouse anyway. )

To make matters more complicated, I can't experiment and fiddle around to try to find something that works, because when I am on this particular webpage, I am being timed for my transcription and my work quality is being judged - so I can't really be random-ing around. hahahah. If I could find some webpage where the same situation exists, I could experiment and probably figure something out, but I can't think of a place/way to experiment that would have the same situation. ARGH!

Well I know this is very wordy and it's a bit of a long shot, but I have found that there are some amazingly knowledgeable people who hang around these sorts of forums, so who knows. Well, if someone could explain or direct me to a solution for my woes, you would be legendary in my eyes. :)

Thanks
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.