ForumsTips & TricksNaming Saved Searches and nesting subtasks

Naming Saved Searches and nesting subtasks
JPR

Posted: Aug 28, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
I've settled in on a fairly standard set of saved searches, each of which have different nesting preferences for subtasks. I've named the saved searches to start with the Tab#, followed by the nesting keyboard shortcut (J,K or L).

For example, my first saved search (in tab 2) is named:
"2J: Inbox", another is "8L: Weekly Review". Switching tabs is as simple as typing "2J" or "8L", without having to think about your nesting setting. One caveat: you need to pause slightly after the number, and let the tab load before hitting the nesting shortcut.
Salgud

Posted: Aug 29, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Neat tip! Unfortunately, I tried it and it doesn't work. When I type "2J", nothing happens. I have keyboard shortcuts turned on. Is it because I'm on a Mac?
JPR

Posted: Aug 30, 2010
Hmm, can't speak for macs, but if your keyboard shortcuts are working elsewhere, it should work. 1-9 will select the corresponding tab in any view. One thing that makes shortcuts inactive is if you have some other element on the page high-lighted... like a text box. Clicking on any blank part of the page should activate them.
Salgud

Posted: Aug 30, 2010
Thanks for your reply.

Am at work, on my PC, and they work, sometimes. Apparently, I have to show the details of a task before the shortcut keys work. If I select "new search" with the mouse, I can use the numbers to go to the other tabs. If I select "new search" with a number key, I can no longer select other tabs with the number keys.

At least so far, it seems like I have to do a "setup" of some kind to get the shortcut keys to work, which isn't very useful. The idea of the shortcut keys is to keep your hands on the keyboard. But with TD, I have to use the mouse to get the shortcuts to work. Good thing I'm not that big on shortcut keys anyway. They just take me back to my DOS days, when everything was done with shortcut keys, and you had to mermoized a different set for each app, and start over memorizing them if you switched apps.

So for me at least, it's no big deal. I might have used some of them if I could rely on them, but I don't want to have to memorize when I can use them, and when I can't, and what I have to do to activate them again.

This message was edited Aug 30, 2010.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.