ForumsTips & TricksTasks vs Calender events

Tasks vs Calender events
thx1973

Posted: Nov 20, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I recently started using PI and I am very happy with it. I can input all of my calendar events into Google Calendar and all my tasks in Toodledo. The program syncs to both so I have everything I need in one app! If I need subtasks in PI I just create a project and then put those task under that project. Recurring calendar events are easy to set up and have many options. I get a push message for anything I set a reminder for.
tonyka

Posted: Nov 23, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
Some posts in this Forum longed for a tighter unity between an online Calendar and To Do List. I use Toodledo for my "heavy lifting" structuring of projects. For light duty reminders I use the TASKS function of Google Calendar. It allows me to create multiple To Do Lists by topic and when necessary add a due date that makes it show up on the appropriate calendar date. Google Tasks is also integrated with Gmail and can turn an inbound email into a To Do Task with a link back to the original email.

Still, Toodledo is best for complicated task management.
replytoken

Posted: Nov 30, 2009
Posted by tonyka:
For light duty reminders I use the TASKS function of Google Calendar. It allows me to create multiple To Do Lists by topic and when necessary add a due date that makes it show up on the appropriate calendar date. Google Tasks is also integrated with Gmail and can turn an inbound email into a To Do Task with a link back to the original email.

Are you at all able to elaborate on this arrangement? It used to be that the Google's Task calendar was not synced with the native calendar on the iPhone/iPod Touch, and I was wondering if that was at all part of your system. I would like to know a bit more about how you are making Google Tasks show on your calendar.

Thanks,

--Ken
j2020

Posted: Dec 17, 2009
I agree with the poster who mentioned Palm Datebook. It gracefully solved the calendar/to-do issue by allowing to-do items to be entered on the calendar as dated or floating events. Becasue they "float" they continue to move to the next day until they are checked off, instead of simply being forgotten if their date already passed. It also gave a tidy layout on the calendar showing events AND dated to-do's for that day, all in one place, integrated and easy to edit.

Frankly, I'm shocked at how poorly calendar events and to-do's are integrated by most products today, since the Palm solution came out over ten years ago. Currently I use Gmail for calendar and Toodledo for to-do's, but I hate that I have no way to see my day at-a-glace without checking multiple websites/applications. The new Toodledo integration with gmail is a step in the right direction, but it is still extremely primitive as it is read only and doesn't run in real time.
chrisj

Posted: Feb 23, 2010
I agree with Judson. There were multiple products in the '90s that allowed you to have to-do items integrated with your calendar (including floating forward until completion), even before the Palm desktop program became widespread. I remember using DayMaker happily for many years back in the Mac OS7 days.

Unfortunately, PIM software actually seems to have *regressed* over the last 10-15 years. I think a lot of the blame falls to MS Outlook, which (A) never integrated these functions, and (B) came to dominate corporate offices by default. Still, I'm also disappointed with Apple, whose iCal program is a pale shadow of what it ought to be. (And not only in this regard: with "calendars" equal to "categories," you can never assign multiple categories to an event. It's absurd.)

But I digress. Full-featured as ToodleDo and various other task managers are, I'd much rather have it all integrated in a single interface. It's ironic that PocketInformant may come closer to giving me that on my *phone* than anything does on my desktop...
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2  

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.