ForumsTips & Tricks[UserStyles] Toodledo - MacOSX v1.0

[UserStyles] Toodledo - MacOSX v1.0
earnjam

Posted: Dec 16, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
I've used a few different user styles with Toodledo, but I always grew tired of them after a few weeks of use. I was always craving more of a smoother, desktop-like experience. So yesterday I decided I was going to attempt to make a Toodledo user style that more closely mimicked a native MacOS application.

After a day of work, I have finished version 1.0 and have loaded it on UserStyles.org. I thought I'd post it here also to get some feedback and see what everyone thought.

I have tried to accommodate a variety of different viewing methods, however, Toodledo is so robust that it is difficult to cater to everyone's style of use. If you see a problem, let me know and I'll attempt to fix it. Please keep in mind, though, that there is only so much that can be done with just the CSS. I'm still ultimately limited by the HTML of the site.

I've done testing in both Chrome and Firefox and it seems to work well in both.

http://userstyles.org/styles/41218

Hope you enjoy!

This message was edited Dec 17, 2010.
earnjam

Posted: Dec 16, 2010
For quick reference, here are the screenshots I posted on UserStyles.org

This message was edited Dec 17, 2010.
PeterW 

Posted: Dec 17, 2010
Nice work! I'm really impressed with the overall look and feel.

One problem I had was with the Search view. All of my saved searches open with all of the criteria displayed (i.e. in edit mode) so the tasks are off the bottom of the screen.

I also noticed that there is a blue line through the Multi-Edit link.
earnjam

Score: 0 Reference
Thanks Peter. I don't use the search function a whole lot, so I didn't think about the fact that it hid when viewing saved searches. I've fixed it now. I still need to tweak a couple of things to get it pixel perfect, but the functionality works correctly now at least.

I also fixed the multi-edit link issue.
PeterW 

Thanks earnjam! That fixed everything for me.

This is a very cool theme.
PeterW 

Hi @earnjam,

Just found another issue...

View by: Context (selected context = work)
Sort by: Due Date - forwards, then by Priority, then by Folder
Subtasks: Indented

At the top of the screen I can see a bunch of subtasks but not their parent, nor the divider. When I disable your theme, the divider (Due in the next 7 days) and the parent task appear. So something in your theme is causing them to be hidden (maybe they're just under the nav controls at the top).
earnjam

Ah, good call. Didn't think about a few of those views I have hidden (goals, contexts, etc). I made a quick adjustment and believe I've fixed them, but haven't had a chance to test. I'll check tomorrow, but if you apply the update, I think they should work.
PeterW 

Posted: Dec 18, 2010
Thanks! That fixed it.

Just also noticed that the filter popup menu has an issue - the context and tag links overlap.
earnjam

I fixed the Filter dropdown menu...same thing as the Contexts, I just didn't test them since I didn't have them in my view. They're working now.

Also after adding everything to the view, I noticed another small bug. The column headers didn't scroll horizontally with the tasks when the page was too wide. (Only in Grid Format)

I've adjusted it so that they will move horizontally with the tasks now, however that means that if you don't have experimental scrolling enabled, the column headers will slide up behind the toolbars when you scroll down. This isn't a huge issue, since that is what Toodledo default theme does when you don't have experimental scrolling on (columns scroll up off the screen), but I think from a usability standpoint it would be better to view the column headers all the time.

I'll continue to try and figure out a solution, but for now the best method is to turn on experimental scrolling.

For anyone who doesn't know how to enable experimental scrolling:
Account Settings > Show Tasks as: > Top is fixed and tasks scroll
AJS

That is a seriously cool UI. Absolutely love the layout and the strike through on done tasks is just the job. Between this and the Focus theme there is little to choose, both are excellent options to add to the other themes. Great work.
verivox

Very nice and clean - great job! I also wanted to say that it's nice to see more UI scripts lately since we have not gotten any official UI improvements. I hope even more step up to the plate to contribute themes. Thanks!
twangus

Posted: Dec 20, 2010
Hey earnjam,

Really nice job with this style! In particular, really nice use of menus... In the Focus style, I was actually in the process of turning the Toodledo drawer into a menu, but I hadn't thought to have Filters and Collaborators as menus... Very nice! Also, I like how the search bar is always present -- makes much more sense than having the useless "Search" button to hide and show it...

Great work! I hope you don't mind if implement some of your ideas in the Focus theme...
piyush_soni

It really amazes me sometimes what all things people can do just with CSS. I am a programmer and I have recently come to believe anyone can do programming with some training. Not many can make things look really good though. Great work!
earnjam

Thanks for the comments everyone!

twangus, go right ahead and pull out whatever ideas or CSS you want. The great themes from you, VinTom and nonimage are what inspired me to attempt this.

Sometime later this week, I might try to add some comments to my code so that people can easily pull out the parts they need or want to reuse. I need to condense a few sections anyway....the code has grown so much that some of it has become redundant.
Captain_Obvious

Posted: Dec 23, 2010
Posted by earnjam:
Sometime later this week, I might try to add some comments to my code so that people can easily pull out the parts they need or want to reuse.

That'd be nice, I would enjoy learning from this code.

Note: "Toggle Select/Edit Links | MultiEdit Preferences" from the multiedit mod overlaps.

This message was edited Dec 23, 2010.
earnjam

Can you give me a screenshot of what you're referring to? Do you have the Multi-Edit Tasks UserScript installed...is something from that?
piyush_soni

Hi earnjam,
Yes, he's probably talking about the ToodleDo Multi-Edit userscript installed. I noticed it too because I have that installed, but didn't mention that here because it's not from the official ToodleDo website.

This is the problem not only with this theme, but the 'ToodleDo Focus' as well. It'd be great if you could do something which works well for both the people who have it installed and who don't. :)
earnjam

Ok, thought that was probably the case...couldn't figure out what he was talking about.

I'll install it when I get home tonight and take a look. Can't imagine it will be too hard to work around.

I do have your Search Tab Counts script installed and checked to make sure it worked, but hadn't gotten around to doing the Multi-Edit script yet.
piyush_soni

Thanks for making sure my script works! (I noticed in ToodleDo Focus it doesn't dynamically update the task count on changes, in this one it does. )

One thing I noticed:
The 'Plus' and 'Minus' signs in the tasks lists should be the opposite of what they are right now. Shouldn't they? Currently they do collapse and expand respectively, but should do the opposite. They are correct for the other panels and links like 'Collaborators' and 'Filters' etc.

Other suggestions:
1). The internal notes section of any task (class name: "note") is currently the same background color as the page. Could you add a 'little' hint of some other color (grayish?) for their background so that they are more distinguishable than the rest of tasks? I am not qualified enough to suggest how to do that though :).

2). I would still love a hint of any kind of a separator between two tasks. The fine dotted line which was there in the original ToodleDo was fine enough, though I don't know what majority feels about that. Again, any kind of divider/separator you decide would be better than I do.

3). Some buttons in forums like 'Search this topic', 'Search All forums', 'Edit Post' are still the old style.

Even without these it looks very professional and nice! Thanks for that again.

This message was edited Dec 23, 2010.
piyush_soni

Posted by piyush_soni:
(I noticed in ToodleDo Focus it doesn't dynamically update the task count on changes, in this one it does. )

My bad. When I install as a user-style, it works correctly for both the styles. When I install the themes as a user-scripts, doesn't work for both. Not a problem as installing themes as styles is the right thing to do.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.