ForumsGetting Things Done®Subtasks and iPhone, can't get it to work for GTD

Subtasks and iPhone, can't get it to work for GTD
Alterb

Posted: Apr 15, 2012
Score: 2 Reference
I've spend a few hours trying to get subtasks to go under their parents on the iphone app. They seem to display where ever they want to, and I couldn't set any sort options that made them go where they belong. I read a number of posts on this forums, and the only solutions seemed to be workarounds like using tags, or naming conventions.

I want to use subtasks for projects per GTD. This is why I purchased the premium service.

Ex:
Projects folder:
Project name
Task 1
Task 2
Task 3

What I end up with is:

Projects folder:
Project name
some other task in the projects folder
Task 3
Some other project name
Task 1

The other issue was that the only way to get something into a subtask, was to create it under the parent. Sometimes when I think of a task, I need to get it down right away. I don't have time to look through the projects folder, find the parent, and create a subtask. Is there a way to get a task to turn into a subtask on the iPhone version?

Thanks for any help that you can provide

Bruce
PeterW 

Score: -1 Reference
On Toodledo's iPhone app there are two options for displaying subtasks - inline or hidden. As far as I know you cannot display them indented like you can on the website.

To access this option, when you are viewing a list of tasks just pull down on the screen to access the toolbar. On the left hand side you will see a link 'Hidden Tasks'. Tap on this and you will see the subtask display option.

Regarding your second question, I can see no way to move an existing task to become a subtask or to move a subtask from one parent to another. I'm not a regular user of the Toodledo iPhone app so others can correct me if I am wrong.

I use this capability all the time on the app I use regularly. Didn't realise it was missing from Toodledo.
Alterb

Score: 1 Reference
Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to this. I've used the inline setting, before I posted. I don't want hidden, because I don't want to forget about a task. But, when I had a number of projects, with subtasks in the projects folder. They sorted like I indicated above with subtasks and projects all mixed up.I was unable to find a sort option that would make them display under their parent. I wasn't looking for them to indent, although that would be nice.

This exploration stems because I've been looking at the iphone version of Ominfocus. I would rather stay with Toodledo, because it has been rock sold reliable. But I would like a better implementation of GTD.

The deal breaker may not be the subtask stuff. If I can't create a subtask quickly, or have to do some cut and paste operations when I want to move something from my inbox, to a project subtask, that will probably put me off from using subtasks at all.

Thanks again,

Bruce
PeterW 

The parent/subtask handling in Toodledo's iPhone app has been the main reason that I've always stuck with Appigo Todo instead - it just works sensibly and intuitively and still makes it possible for a subtask to appear 'loose' in the hotlist.

And I can quickly create tasks in my inbox and later come back to them to move them into projects or checklists if needed. You can sync Appigo Todo with Toodledo so it's possible to keep with the online version if you wish.
Alterb

Do you have to pay to sync todo with toodledo? I couldn't find this listed on the app description.

Thanks,

B
PeterW 

Bruce - no, there is no cost to sync Todo with Toodledo. It just works.

Note that Todo does not support all of Toodledo's fields, e.g:
-start date
-start time
- goals

If you use any of these fields in Toodledo online they won't cause a problem in Todo nor will they be lost when you sync. You just won't be able to see them on your iPhone in Todo.

One other thing to note with regards to parent/subtasks: Todo ensures that subtasks are kept in the same folder as their parent. Toodledo does not. So if you move a subtask into a different folder in Toodledo, Todo will put it back into the same folder as the parent when you sync. This is how I wanted to work anyway so it wasn't an issue for me.

I now use Appigo Todo Online instead of Toodledo because the latter's project handling was just too problematic for me.
Alterb

Ok, I'll download it and give it a try.

Thanks!

Bruce
mco

Posted: Apr 16, 2012
I do not care for Appigo Todo myself because it hides subtasks behind projects all the time, except in the hotlist. Also, it does not support the start date.

What you want is to have subtasks indented on the web site. I suggest having projects as a context so it is easy to get a list of just projects. I use "-Projects" so it sorts to the top. On an iPhone or iPad, look at just your projects. The tasks for each project will pop up for you when you touch the subtasks field of each project. If you are looking at a task in a context menu, you can see the project above it the same way. You can even go up and then down into the list of next actions for each project. It's actually pretty simple and convenient.
Alterb

Posted: Apr 17, 2012
I've put some more time into trying to make the subtasks work. The deal breaker is that I can't find a way on the iPhone (where I spend 100% of my time with Toodledo because I'm mobile) to quickly add a task on the fly, and later move it to a subtask when I have more time to clear my "inbox"

The only way I can figure out, is to actually be on the parent task, and click subtask. This takes too much time, and caused me to forget some items, because I couldn't keep them in my head while I moved through a list of projects, and than selected subtask.

I need to be able to quickly list a task, and figure out where it goes, later.

If I'm wrong about this, please let me know.

Thanks,

Bruce
PeterW 

Bruce,

I've checked the Toodledo app but cannot see how this can be done. I don't think it's currently possible.

But here is how you would do this in Appigo Todo:

1. Tap the edit button at the top of the screen and then select the task to be assigned. A red checkmark is shown alongside the selected task. You can select more than one if you wish.

2. Tap the Actions button at the bottom of the screen.

3. Select action (e.g. assign to project)

4. Select the project or checklist to assign task to.

It's very straightforward, especially if your new tasks to be processed are sitting in your inbox.

This message was edited Apr 17, 2012.
mco

Posted by Alterb:
I've put some more time into trying to make the subtasks work. The deal breaker is that I can't find a way on the iPhone (where I spend 100% of my time with Toodledo because I'm mobile) to quickly add a task on the fly, and later move it to a subtask when I have more time to clear my "inbox"

The only way I can figure out, is to actually be on the parent task, and click subtask. This takes too much time, and caused me to forget some items, because I couldn't keep them in my head while I moved through a list of projects, and than selected subtask.

I need to be able to quickly list a task, and figure out where it goes, later.

If I'm wrong about this, please let me know.

Thanks,

Bruce

That is the one thing that Appigo Todo does do that the Toodledo iOS app does not. It doesn't bother me too much. Often, I am following up on an existing task, and I go up one level to the project and enter a new subtask. Even faster is to clone an existing task and then change the details. If I have something coming in from email, I can move it into the project later using the web interface.
JPR

The trick I use is to pre-pend the orphaned subtask with "+"... essentially a marker that says "I am an orphan that belongs to a project". I created a saved search on the website which shows active projects AND tasks beginning with "+" so, I can isolate everything for easy drag and drop at my weekly review.

If the orphan is the active next action, I may not even make it to the next review. In that case, the "+" is a visual prompt that the task belongs to a project, and I need to activate the 'next' next action. I also created a text shortcut in iOS that quickly generates the "+" by typing "pp" and hitting the spacebar.... makes for quick entry on the iPhone.
PeterW 

I've just fixed up the image links in my post above so you can see the relevant screen shots.

Posted by mco:
That is the one thing that Appigo Todo does do that the Toodledo iOS app does not.

There are a few other things Appigo Todo can do that Toodledo does not, but in my view this one is significant. Being able to assign/reassign tasks and subtasks into projects, checklists and also to change their context and tags is really useful.
Christopher Sol

Posted: Jul 02, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
2Do on IOS does sub-tasks really well. They work just as you would expect.

It has some limited ability to do "saved searches" or filters, but I'm not happy with how those work...
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.