ForumsGetting Things Done®Toodledo on iPhone: Like it, but lacking

Toodledo on iPhone: Like it, but lacking
Mallozzi

Posted: Jan 17, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
BTW I wont suggest using Pocket Informant (Although I'm a PI Fanboy from Windows Mobile) untill they support Sub-tasks (which by the looks of it, is coming *very* soon - next release)
davidholliday

Posted: Jan 17, 2010
Posted by Mallozzi:
BTW I wont suggest using Pocket Informant (Although I'm a PI Fanboy from Windows Mobile) untill they support Sub-tasks (which by the looks of it, is coming *very* soon - next release)

I'm also a Pocket Informant fanboy from the old days. I use the iPhone version, just as a replacement for the built-in calendar (at least I did until the little problem this weekend!)

Good news if sub-tasks are coming. At the moment my task structure in Toodledo is a mess in PI with everything flattened out - especially since I have multiple projects that contain the same task.

To be honest, I was surprised PI didn't have sub-task support from day one; especially since it was a big part of the WM version and that Toodledo supported them.

I've been drifting away from Toodledo of late because I want a better GTD workflow. PI with sub-tasks might just make me think again.
Proximo

Posted: Jan 19, 2010
Posted by davidholliday:
I've been drifting away from Toodledo of late because I want a better GTD workflow. PI with sub-tasks might just make me think again.

I have a love hate relationship with Toodledo. It's the best Web Application right now for my GTD needs, but it's not a very good GTD solution. The open nature of Toodledo makes GTD a mess at times and never has the simple and fluid workflow that is GTD.

I am always on the lookout for something that can do GTD right and only GTD.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2010.
davidholliday

Posted: Jan 19, 2010
Posted by Proximo:

I think we are on the same journey - all I want is a simple GTD workflow, not interested in all the extras.

At the moment Nozbe comes pretty close for me. I'm getting over the lack of a proper inbox by using Evernote for all my collecting and adding anything that is a task or project to Nozbe at the Process stage.

A lot is going to depend on how the upcoming iPhone app for Nozbe works out.

I've noticed as well that quite a few people seem to have had success setting up a context and tag system in Evernote and used that as their GTD system. I might try that while I'm in limboland here.

I must say, the Evernote/Nozbe combo has made me feel more in control of what I'm doing, so some progress has been made.
cjuzda

Posted: Jan 20, 2010
Interesting - I've taken a quick look at Nozbe but it seems a bit pricey for a web app compared to Toodledo which to me is a comparable app - different but comparable. Can you add a bit of info re why you feel Nozbe is a good solution - The iphone app looks good and it's free but paying $60+ every year seems pretty expensive for the web app so it would ave to be measurably better than alternatives

Chris

Posted by davidholliday:
Posted by Proximo:

I think we are on the same journey - all I want is a simple GTD workflow, not interested in all the extras.

At the moment Nozbe comes pretty close for me. I'm getting over the lack of a proper inbox by using Evernote for all my collecting and adding anything that is a task or project to Nozbe at the Process stage.

A lot is going to depend on how the upcoming iPhone app for Nozbe works out.

I've noticed as well that quite a few people seem to have had success setting up a context and tag system in Evernote and used that as their GTD system. I might try that while I'm in limboland here.

I must say, the Evernote/Nozbe combo has made me feel more in control of what I'm doing, so some progress has been made.
Proximo

Posted: Jan 20, 2010
@cjuzda,

I was reading your post above and was so confused. When I read the Quote and saw "Posted by Proximo", I thought the entire quote was my post. I was reading it and thinking... I must have been on drugs because I think Nozbe does GTD wrong. So wrong that it should not be called a GTD System.

Once I realized that It was not me, I started to laugh. Had me scared there for a second and I thought I was in an alternate universe where I like Nozbe. :-)
cjuzda

Posted: Jan 21, 2010
@Proximo

I don't know why this board behaves like that, it's a confusing way to show a quote within a quote.

I agree that Nozbe really doesn't do GTD properly but it has some potential that's why I was asking davidholliday to expand a bit. Also I was looking at their forums and it appears the iphone app is a bit of a disaster due to problems with subscriptions and they are re doing it

Chris
Proximo

@cjuzda,

I still have my Nozbe account and I can tell you the entire website and forums is a mess. The owner has no focus on the Web Application or iPhone app.

He also forces people to use GTD as he interprets it and it's wrong.

There is no Inbox, Next List, Project List, Waiting For list or Someday/Maybe list.

Everything in Nozbe is a Project to include your inbox. So if you want a list of your individual Next Actions that are not Projects, you need to create a Project and call it "Next" or what ever makes sense to you.

Nozbe is just a dead wrong implementation of GTD on many fronts.

It's too bad because the UI is nice and the programming used is really good. When you drag things, it animates and works like a real desktop application.
davidholliday

Posted by cjuzda:
Interesting - I've taken a quick look at Nozbe but it seems a bit pricey for a web app compared to Toodledo which to me is a comparable app - different but comparable. Can you add a bit of info re why you feel Nozbe is a good solution - The iphone app looks good and it's free but paying $60+ every year seems pretty expensive for the web app so it would ave to be measurably better than alternatives

Chris

Chris, Nozbe has some really nice feature and some serious problems - just as Proximo mentioned.

For me, it is really good at handling projects, probably the best (of the apps I've looked at) for this.

The weakness is the parts of the GTD workflow that don't exist in Nozbe - at least not without workarounds. At the moment, I'm using Evernote for the parts Nozbe doesn't address (particularly as my GTD inbox) and this is doing OK.

Anyway, I plan to hang in there with Nozbe for a while just to see how things work out. I'm getting more out of it than my previous Toodledo workflow. A new iPhone app is planned which is badly needed - actually the current one is unusable as far as I'm concerned.

With the addition of homes for inbox, next actions and the other missing lists, Nozbe would be a real winner - especially if the iPhone app is half decent.

The program has tons of potential, but it all comes down to whether the developer decides to make those changes. As you noticed Nozbe is rather expensive (more so since I think most serious users will soon need more than the 100 projects included in the first package)- there should be funds available for development, one would think.

Cheers!
David
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2  

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.