ForumsGetting Things Done®Routine Tasks

Routine Tasks
J

Posted: Dec 11, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I think I read somewhere for routine tasks, people use the Start Date. However, for repeat, you guys use Completion Date, right? What happens when you usually do your laundry on a Friday but for one Friday, you did not have time?

I have a Custom Search for Routine Tasks where I only see tasks whose Start Date is the current day. If I miss a routine task that I wanted to do yesterday, I will not see it on this Custom Search. Any solutions to this?

Maybe there's a better Custom Search for me to see all my routine stuff?

Thanks guys!
Linden

Posted: Dec 12, 2009
I'm one of the folks that uses the start date for routine tasks, and I do most commonly repeat by completion date.

If I usually do laundry on a Friday, I would have the repeat set to "every Friday -- by completion date". So, if I do the laundry on Sunday, it will reappear in my list the next Friday as always.

There are a few things that I have have marked to repeat by due date for reference convenience. These are generally tasks that need to be done once for each month, and I use the start date as an indication of which month's task needs to be done. For example -- downloading or reconciling financial statements. I need to reconcile each month's records, so if I miss a month, I do still want the reminder that there's another to catch up on!

Maybe for your custom search, look for any tasks with a Start Date before "tomorrow". That ought to get you everything that starts today AND started yesterday.

We all add our own flavour to how things are set up. I hope my perspective helps you figure out what might work for you!
manuelhe

Posted: Dec 15, 2009
Wow, stuff like laundry is part of my DNA. I generally do it when the bag is 3/4 full; the scuzz factor at work. If I tried to put it on a calendar I would probably get out of sync. Now granted. I have a washer dryer at home so this is not a probllem. If I had to go to the laundermat I just might put it on a calendar so that way I would know to comit to doing it or rescheduling it but either way its not ever a missed apointment. One other way to do it would be to set a context called @chores so you always have laundry to do as an option when you are in a housekeeping frame of mind.

This message was edited Dec 16, 2009.
Linden

Posted: Dec 17, 2009
Yeah, I suck at keeping on top of my chores. I do have a "chores" context, so I don't get them mixed up with other important home or work projects.

But all the same, I'm still at a point where I need dates with repeat or they'll never get done. (Or at least get done WAY less often than they ought to.)

By using a start-date instead of a due-date, I can at least keep the chores off the hard landscape. Hopefully someday they'll all be automatic like the laundry is for you!
mLee

Posted: Dec 21, 2009
I'm somewhere in between having it second nature and being reminded. Right now I am in the process of figuring out what I need on my schedule and what bogs me down as too much info and needs to be removed.

Regular laundry used to be on it but I don't really need to be reminded so I took it off and am much happier. But I do have things like cleaning specific things like the sheets and towels on there and that helps a lot.

Is there any way to schedule something every other week? For example we have an appointment every other Monday and I can't seem to get it to follow that schedule. Right now I have it every Monday and delete the days it isn't on.
TheGriff_2

Posted: Dec 21, 2009
When setting the repeat switch to Advanced Options and type in Every 2 weeks. In fact my "Change sheets" is set with exactly that repeat.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.