ForumsGetting Things Done®Trying a different iphone app

Trying a different iphone app
cjuzda

Posted: Jan 19, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
Using Toodledo Pro and I think it's the best web based app available right now for GTD. Not perfect but it is flexible enough to allow me to set it up the way I want. I still think the UI could be improved a lot but for a web app, it's excellent. Having said that, I use the iphone app more than the Web app and I'm currently trying the full paid version of Todo, which I'm liking better than the Toodledo iphone app. The Toodledo app is much more configurable than ToDo but I was finding that was part of the problem. I couldn't stop "playing" with it. ToDo is less configurable and there are things I wish it could do such as Stars and the filtering is very limited. However, to me the UI is so much cleaner and I can see more at a glance than with Toodledo. The main thing is that it is just making my life a bit easier, particularly the ability to see notes with the task; projects; check lists; and the Call ask type integration with e address book. I haven't really used Tags yet but I'm sure that's still one thing to "play" with - I just need to decide the best use for them, perhaps Goals could be Tags but I would really like a real Goals component however and filtering by priority would be a huge improvement over just being able to sort by priority. Also, while the way you view projects is superior to Toodledo, The fact that you can't show project Tasks directly in the lists but have to click on the project is pretty dumb because your projects show up looking the same as tasks with the exception of a small indicator icon and then you have to click on the project to show the actual task that is due. To me this ruins what is otherwise very good project handling. There is certainly no perfect app but right now, ToDo is working better for me.

Chris

This message was edited Jan 19, 2010.
Proximo

Score: -1 Reference
The reason is seems dumb to you is because a "Project" in Toodledo is really nothing more than a Task that happens to have sub-task. It's really not a project at all.

Toodledo does not have true Projects.

The ToDo apps is very well designed and laid out, but I find it difficult to use any other iPhone app with my Hacked Toodledo setup.

For this reason, I stick with the Toodledo iPhone app and I don't use the much better UI found in other apps like ToDo.
Mallozzi

Score: 0 Reference
I had to redesign my system specifically with the iPhone (and it's limitations in mind)

For some reason, the only thing that the iPhone does right, is tags. In Web based Toodeldo,if I want to tag actions/projects with an area of focus, I have to remember the exact wording/spelling of each tag (not assisted with any kind of auto-complete) - whereas on the iPhone - you can select existing tags like you would a context or folder. (This applies to every toodledo application on the iphone)

*Forgot to mention - when adding a new task in your browser, there is a tag cloud that does appear, unfortunaly it doesn't show up in grid view*

If you plan to be doing most of your work on your iPhone, you've got to build/tweak specifically for it.

GTD is not a specific standard - you just need a system that you can trust that will hold your lists, rather then in your head. It's that trust that's ultimately important.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2010.
cjuzda

You're certainly correct as far as the way Toodledo handles projects, it isn't particularly good, basically a work around I think. I didn't mean to say that Toodledo handles projects any better than ToDo because I think ToDo is better from a UI perspective on projects. However, per GTD, you can't DO a project so they shouldn't show up mixed in with the other tasks in the task list which is what ToDo does. Ideally, the Task(s) should show up and I don't see any reason why ToDo couldn't accomplish this fairly easily together with a "Projects" view. I think a really good example of how to handle projects is Thinking Rock's methodology which includes project task sequencing options and automatic promotion of next actions to active status. Great program but not a web app and they're just getting started with iphone.

Posted by Proximo:
The reason is seems dumb to you is because a "Project" in Toodledo is really nothing more than a Task that happens to have sub-task. It's really not a project at all.

Toodledo does not have true Projects.

The ToDo apps is very well designed and laid out, but I find it difficult to use any other iPhone app with my Hacked Toodledo setup.

For this reason, I stick with the Toodledo iPhone app and I don't use the much better UI found in other apps like ToDo.
Proximo

Posted: Jan 20, 2010
@cjuzda,

In my GTD Setup I use folders for the list and this includes Projects. I did this t isolate the list as you would in GTD but somethings still end up broken.

ThinkingRock is awesome and I used it as my GTD System for a long time, but needed something in the Cloud and on my iPhone.

:-(
Proximo

Posted by Mallozzi:
I had to redesign my system specifically with the iPhone (and it's limitations in mind)

Very interesting point. If I decided to use my iPhone Toodledo app as my main system rather than the Web App, I would consider your suggestion.

Not sure if I will, but a very good point indeed.
cjuzda

You probably know that TR has just released an iphone app but it's very limited and pretty much has to be used with the desktop version and could not possibly used stand alone without very regular syncing to the desktop app. If they ever get the iphone app fully ramped up, I would be tempted to go back even though I would have to sync with laptop/desktop, although a web app would be preferable. It really is a great app.

Posted by Proximo:
@cjuzda,

In my GTD Setup I use folders for the list and this includes Projects. I did this t isolate the list as you would in GTD but somethings still end up broken.

ThinkingRock is awesome and I used it as my GTD System for a long time, but needed something in the Cloud and on my iPhone.

:-(
Proximo

Posted: Jan 21, 2010
Posted by cjuzda:
You probably know that TR has just released an iphone app but it's very limited and pretty much has to be used with the desktop version and could not possibly used stand alone without very regular syncing to the desktop app. If they ever get the iphone app fully ramped up, I would be tempted to go back even though I would have to sync with laptop/desktop, although a web app would be preferable. It really is a great app.

I had not idea. If they ever created a Web Application, it would be great. TR is one of the only GTD applications that I have seen with the Weekly Review process automated for you.
c.e.perry

Score: -1 Reference
cjuzda,

If you don't like the way ToDo handles projects, you may want to look at my app, Action Lists on the iPhone. It syncs with Toodledo and tries to make GTD as easy as possible.

One difference between Action Lists and ToDo is in the way that it handles projects. Action Lists syncs projects to Toodledo as folders. This might suit you better.

You can get more info on Action Lists from: http://software.dazeend.org/action_lists

Good luck finding a solution that works for you.
davidholliday

@ c.e.perry

Charles I noticed that Action Lists syncs with Toodledo and supports subtasks so I thought it might be a good solution for me.

One $10 investment later, it seems the app doesn't sync the Toodledo subtask structure - for me it flattens everything out.

Am I missing something obvious (I'm really good at that!), or did I just throw $10 away?

Very nice app though - you've done a nice job of making everything look really good.

Cheers!
David
mike

Posted: Jan 22, 2010
David,

I believe you can nest the subtasks using the filter button at the bottom right of the screen.

Mike

Posted by davidholliday:
@ c.e.perry

Charles I noticed that Action Lists syncs with Toodledo and supports subtasks so I thought it might be a good solution for me.

One $10 investment later, it seems the app doesn't sync the Toodledo subtask structure - for me it flattens everything out.

Am I missing something obvious (I'm really good at that!), or did I just throw $10 away?

Very nice app though - you've done a nice job of making everything look really good.

Cheers!
David
cjuzda

I took at look at the functionality but it doesn't support tags, focus list, or priorities, which was a deal breaker for me. Project handling was good though

Posted by c.e.perry:
cjuzda,

If you don't like the way ToDo handles projects, you may want to look at my app, Action Lists on the iPhone. It syncs with Toodledo and tries to make GTD as easy as possible.

One difference between Action Lists and ToDo is in the way that it handles projects. Action Lists syncs projects to Toodledo as folders. This might suit you better.

You can get more info on Action Lists from: http://software.dazeend.org/action_lists

Good luck finding a solution that works for you.
software

@davidholliday

Action Lists doesn't do Toodledo subtasks. Sorry. It will let you nest projects, but not tasks. Also, in the interests of full disclosure, projects are synchronized to Toodledo as folders which aren't nestable on the Toodledo side, so any nested projects in Action Lists will appear as a flat structure on Toodledo.

P.S. This is c.e.perry, btw. I forgot that I was logged in under my test account.

This message was edited Jan 22, 2010.
davidholliday

Posted by software:
@davidholliday

Action Lists doesn't do Toodledo subtasks. Sorry. It will let you nest projects, but not tasks. Also, in the interests of full disclosure, projects are synchronized to Toodledo as folders which aren't nestable on the Toodledo side, so any nested projects in Action Lists will appear as a flat structure on Toodledo.

P.S. This is c.e.perry, btw. I forgot that I was logged in under my test account.

No problem - I just made the wrong assumption. Would be a great feature for you to include in a future version though =)
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.