ForumsGetting Things Done®Assistance in Contexts from Experienced Users

Assistance in Contexts from Experienced Users
Ron Jr.

Posted: Mar 08, 2011
Score: -1 Reference
Hi all,

I am fully trained on GTD and understand the concept and have been organizing this way for years.

Our industry requires that tasks be based on clients. Currently, I have set up folders for each client and then are managing tasks within those folders.

Are there any ideas to share that say this a good way and if not what would be your suggestions on handle tons of tasks based on various clients and depts?

thanks!
PeterW 

Posted: Mar 08, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
I've found it best to make the folders represent your main GTD lists, e.g. Next, Projects, Waiting for, Someday. You could use Tags to represent your customers.
splante1

Posted: Mar 09, 2011
Toodledo does have the context field. That is a good field to use if you have a need to view tasks by customer. You can either look at tasks by the folder or by the context field. I use contexts similar to how the David Allen Company suggests you set them up for tasks in Outlook. Some of my contexts are:

.Projects - tasks that represent projects are assigned this
@Agendas - tasks that represent something that needs to be discussed with someone
@Computer - tasks for while at the computer
@Errands, @Home, @Phone, @WaitingFor - other example contexts
Someday/Maybe - tasks/projects I am not currently working on or ready to start working on

Using a period in front of projects puts it at the top of the list of contexts. Using the @ sign with action lists causes them to be listed together.

If you set up contexts like this, you could easily go to the @phone action list, for example, if you are near a phone and it would be a good time to make a call. And if you needed to talk about tasks related to a customer, you could look at a list based on the folders you set up.
JPR

Posted: Mar 09, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
If you are required to setup tasks & projects based on clients, it makes sense to dedicate a field in TD to clients... it is just a matter of choosing a field. Assuming you are using Context in the classic GTD sense, Folders, Tags or perhaps Location are all good candidates.

I personally am not a big fan of the tags implementation, YMMV. You could use the Location field (with or without entering actual location info) and then implement Folders in a similar setup to PeterW or as Areas of Responsibility.

One other option would be to include the client name, initials or a "code" in the task description, but then you have rely on "Find" and consistent manual entry to make it work reliably.
abishepherd

Posted: Apr 08, 2011
Does anyone know if there is a logical reason why you should use your GTD contexts (ie @Home, @Work, or whatever) in the Context field as opposed to, say, the Projects or Location fields. Personally I'm using the Location field for actual locations at the moment but curious to know what others are doing.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.