ForumsGeneral Off Topic Chit-ChatSuggested inexpensive PDA for use with Tooledo

Suggested inexpensive PDA for use with Tooledo
eadlist

Posted: Dec 11, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
I learned about GTD a few months ago and have finally settled on Tooledo as my online implementation of that. The piece that is missing for me now is an handheld electronic version of my To-Do list. I've tried the Tooledo printout booklet but it's not quite working for me.

So, can anyone recommend a PDA that I can sync my Tooledo list to (possibly through Outlook). It would need it to be durable, compact and inexpensive. I would use it to list my contacts, calendar and todo list and have them synced with Outlook (which would in turn sync to Google Calendar and Tooledo). It doesn't need any fancy - no color screen or anything special. Ugly and outdated versions are fine - even welcome. A decent UI is preferable but not necessary. I don't know about the different OS (i.e. Palm or Windows Mobile) but anything even half-usable I could get to work for me.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

This message was edited Dec 11, 2008.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 11, 2008
The iPhone or iPod touch is the only PDA that we officially support with two-way syncing. However, other PDAs may work if they have web browsers.

Hope that helps.
eadlist

Posted: Dec 12, 2008
Thanks for your quick reply! If the question is appropriate in this forum, I was searching for PDAs more duruable and more inexpensive than Apple stuff. I was curious what other people were using.
Jeremy

I use a curve....email import, Wap Access,

If you are looking to use the website, the T-Mobile G1 has real web browsing and the slim version of Toodledo works great on this phone.

This message was edited Dec 12, 2008.
vegheadjones

I have not used or looked at Palm PDAs for a while, but they (used to?) make inexpensive PDAs that did not sync online but synced Outlook through the usb port. This system worked well for me for many years.
eadlist

Posted: Dec 13, 2008
Thank you for your suggestions! My search brought me to the Palm Z22. It seems to work well with Outlook - Contacts and Calendar and Tasks. It's compact enough to fit in my pocket and seems to available in places for $50 (i.e. when I break it in the field, not a terrible lose). It's about 5 years behind the current PDAs but at least I know they have the bugs worked out.

So now my contacts, tasks and calendar can all be synced out of Google and Tooledo to Outlook which in turn pushes them to my cell, PDA and construction suite software. Great!
peaston

Posted: Dec 28, 2008
I'm glad that your solution works for you, but for heavy travelers, a Palm is a horrible device to use with Toodledo. Not being able to access tasks when on a plane or other times you don't have Internet access is a major limitation of Toodledo. Toodle only supports the iPhone. After the iPhone, they'll probably develop for Windows Mobile and maybe blackberry. The popularity of the Palm Centro might make developing an app for the Palm OS worth their time, but it looks like the Palm OS is seen as a dead end and companies just are not investing their development resources into supporting it.

I use a Palm Treo 680 and other than lack of support for Toodledo, it meets my needs. I plan to keep using it for another 6 months or so and see how Palm's new Linux-based OS and Google's Android do against Windows, iPhone, and Blackberry devices.

Since I'm a heavy Google Hosted apps user, I'm seriously looking into Android. I'm not sure if it supports a Google Gears technology to bring web-applications offline, but I'm happy to know that Toodledo is looking into supporting Google Gears. I haven't seen any talk of a Toodledo for Blackberry, but as a heavy user of Google Hosted Apps, I'm seriously looking into making the switch to Blackberry as it has very good applications for the Blackberry.

I'd love to see a Toodledo application for the Palm OS, but I'm not holding my breath.
geekraja

Posted: Feb 18, 2009
by any means toodledo gonna support nokia e71 / s60 device for sync?
kartha12

Posted: Jun 01, 2009
Hey eadlist, In Palm Z22 the Memory is only 32MB(only 20MB accessible to user). My query is will it be sufficient for storing Photos and Tasks. Can you let me know if it is ok to buy it.
Anders

Posted: Jun 01, 2009
Posted by kartha12:
In Palm Z22 the Memory is only 32MB(only 20MB accessible to user). My query is will it be sufficient for storing Photos and Tasks.

First of all, you may be fully aware of this, but the Z22 does not have an internet browser, and no program capable of syncing with Toodledo. So your only option would be import and export. I'm gonna say 20MB will probably be plenty for tasks unless you have tons of them, but it is definitely not much at all for pictures.
I have an iPod which actually has several Toodledo apps available for it. It has replaced my WM PDA (Ipaq rx1955), and I would fully recommend it. It also has tons of memory, and while it costs more, it is definitely worth the investment IMO.

This message was edited Jun 01, 2009.
kartha12

Posted: Jun 02, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion Anders..
Is there any Personal organiser which has sufficient memory and also at a fairly less price range.
kartha12

I am looking for the Cheapest Personal Electronic Organiser, I dont mind if it doesn't work with Toodledo. But would be great if it works with it.
Anders

I don't have a specific recommendation, but I do have a few tips. First, the Z22 is decent for personal organizing stuff, but is pretty light on memory if you want pictures. If I were you, I would look into getting something that can use SD or other flash memory cards. Also, since you are looking for cheap, don't be afraid to get something used. My previous PDA, an Ipaq, I bought refurbished, and it served me well for many years. My current PDA, the iPod, I got used, and I have not had a single problem with it. As long as you are careful about the seller, used or refurbished PDAs can be great deals.

~Anders
kartha12

Posted: Jun 04, 2009
I would look into the option of used or refurbished PDA's which would serve both my purpose, cost as well as memeory.. Thanks for the suggesstion Anders..
helena

Posted: Oct 20, 2009
Help.....

I am not sure how to use context... how do you assign a time to you context for example I have two jobs with 2 seperate to do lists if I assign just plain work it will give me both lists....
Anders

Posted: Oct 20, 2009
Posted by helena:
Help.....

I am not sure how to use context... how do you assign a time to you context for example I have two jobs with 2 seperate to do lists if I assign just plain work it will give me both lists....

I'm not sure I understand your question. Do you mean you have more tasks in your one Context than you want to see? If so, you could use Tags, or Folders to divide the similar items from different jobs. To assign times, you can assign Due and/or Start Dates, and either can also include a time. If you want to use one of these fields, but don't see it in the list, you will have to enable it in your Account Settings.
Edit: FYI, in the future, you are probably better off posting a question like this in the Questions forum.

This message was edited Oct 20, 2009.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.