ForumsGeneral Off Topic Chit-ChatGreat app, horrible, horrible name

Great app, horrible, horrible name
Anthony Schmitt

Posted: Mar 13, 2013
Score: -1 Reference
I started using Toodledo today to help manage my tasks at my new job, and it's working really, really well. My only major issue is that I'm so opposed to actually ever saying "Toodledo" that I doubt I'll ever share this application, effective as it may be, with my associates. It's really, really unprofessional. I hate it.

Let that sink in, devs.
Michael

Posted: Mar 13, 2013
Score: 7 Reference
If a company can be named Yahoo or Google, and rise to the top, so can Toodledo

This message was edited Mar 13, 2013.
Salgud

Posted: Mar 15, 2013
Score: 3 Reference
I bet the "devs" are cringing, they've never heard anything like that before! ;)

I remember, many years ago, a small start-up just getting noticed, but so many saying that a company named "Apple" would never get any respect.
Christoph Dollis

Posted: Mar 16, 2013
Score: 0 Reference
Posted by Anthony Schmitt:
I started using Toodledo today to help manage my tasks at my new job, and it's working really, really well. My only major issue is that I'm so opposed to actually ever saying "Toodledo" that I doubt I'll ever share this application, effective as it may be, with my associates. It's really, really unprofessional. I hate it.

Let that sink in, devs.
LOL Gee.

Maybe they should change their name to "Task-Sorting EngineOoloogee".
Jason Bushell

Posted: Mar 18, 2013
Score: 1 Reference
Sounds like you need to sort your life out mate.
pjlewis

Posted: Mar 18, 2013
Score: 0 Reference
I always thought the name was kinda cool, but then what do I know?
Purveyor

Posted: Mar 19, 2013
Toodledo is a combination of "to do" and "toodle-oo", which means good-bye, as in "cheerio and toodle-oo". It's a bit like TTFN -- ta ta for now.
Anthony Schmitt

It's a productivity app named to sound like a children's toy, or, as one of you suggested, a colloquialism that has no connection to what the application actually does. Why hamstring yourselves on a name like that? The name is immature. Productivity is maturity. Your branding is at odds with your product. It's poor marketing, plain and simple.

I also constantly try to go to todoodle.com instead of toodledo.com. I dunno, the name has all sorts of problems. Oh, and sure enough, my boss gave me a hard time for it too. He now has a running gag where he intentionally mispronounces Toodledo every time he asks for an update on my progress.

I realize it's too late, once you brand a product you're pretty much locked in, especially with a domain and all, but I truly believe the branding of this app is the biggest pitfall of the product, hands down.
Anthony Schmitt

Posted by Jason Bushell:
Sounds like you need to sort your life out mate.

That's why I'm here, mate! Just tossing this out there on the off chance somebody's listening. The better and more usable the app is, the more likely someone else such as myself will use it to similarly "sort their life out".
karen.hughes

Posted: Apr 05, 2013
Posted by Anthony Schmitt:
The name is immature.

Oh, and sure enough, my boss gave me a hard time for it too. He now has a running gag where he intentionally mispronounces Toodledo every time he asks for an update on my progress.

Sounds to me like it's your boss who is immature!

But surely the name is only semantics. Does it matter what the tool is called once it functions well and makes life easier.

Twitter is not exactly a "grown up name" yet is is one of the most widely used apps in the modern world.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.