ForumsGeneral Off Topic Chit-ChatInteresting Thread over at the "Remember the Milk" Forums

Interesting Thread over at the "Remember the Milk" Forums
Alan

Posted: Apr 03, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Seems like RTM is losing users, and Toodledo is the most talked-about replacement...

http://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/ideas/7024/
Alan

frossie

Well when I was looking around for task management I ruled out RTM because it lacked hierarchy (which toodledo addresses with subtasks). So I am not surprised their users want that, but they knew that was lacking when they went in.

It certainly is true that toodledo's interaction with user requests on this forum is exceptional. Even acknowledging requests with the standard "Thank you for your suggestion" (which quite understandably sometimes means "If we didn't sleep, eat, or go home for three years we *might* get round to this one") goes a long way to keeping the users happy.

On the other hand RTM has 4-5 times the users. Interestingly, RTM has a much higher proportion of non-US users (70% v. 50%), which makes me think that if Toodledo could deal with some of the minor niggles for international users (like the week starting on Monday, different daylight savings rules), they could pick more users there. Certainly toodledo seems to be doing a better job holding on to its "New Year's resolution" bonus users than RTM. I'm just hoping enough of them are Pro subscribers so the service can keep improving.

http://siteanalytics.compete.com/toodledo.com+rememberthemilk.com?metric=uv
carmentalis

Just made the final jump from RTM to Toodledo today. After two hours of tinkering with the task list, importing things, and generally playing around, I'm not looking back.

I started task management with RTM because it was recommended and reviewed positively left and right. At that point I had no real idea of which features I'd want to use. Subtasks... I eventually figured out that those would be handy, but RTM didn't have them so I made do with improvisations. After all, there were so many requesters for that feature in the forum, so surely they'd work on this and implement it soon? I've learned better by now, especially in the last two weeks (the official post on their communication policy was an eye-opener).

My trial account here was a free one, but I set up a Pro account today. Not just for the subtasks but for the general feeling that users get attention here. Oh, and as an international user, I'd not mind some tweaks like the Monday-first calendar, but unlike some of the things RTM isn't doing, this is just a minor thing and probably a matter of getting used to it.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
The Monday-first calendar option is already working on our development server. We just need to do a little more testing first.

Oh, and welcome to Toodledo :)
carmentalis

Posted: Apr 04, 2009
Now that's what I missed over there! :-D
Allen

Posted: Apr 04, 2009
I could never get into Remember the Milk . . . just been using a mish-mash of my phone and my (evernote) notebook. Toodledo looks really promising though it seems I can't keep it in 2 way sync with my WinMo tasks.
Aidan

Posted: Apr 07, 2009
Hi guys, I'm one of the p*ssed off posters over at RTM that is moving over to ToodleDo. As you're probably sensing from the forums over there, we're not switching due to features more for the communication. There's a lot of us coming over, please keep up the good communication and you'll have a seriously large group of happy customers!
Alan

...I switched too and am posting over there as well. I think you will find that after a while, many of Toodledo's features are actually better than what RTM has to offer. It's just a matter of getting used to the different interface. At least that is my experience. I'm now finding the layout of the task list on Toodledo is easier to read. It took me about two weeks to adapt, but now I'm used to it.

What kills me about RTM is the fact that so many people are raising valid complaints about the lack of enhancements and the almost hostile attitude of the developers' reps to their customers, yet no one there bothers to post anything to try to ease the frustration. I simply cannot fathom how they view their business in terms of how it relates to customer satisfaction.

I have no interest in giving my hard-earned money to an entity that simply lacks any appreciation for my business with a simple acknowledgment in their own forums! I think if you poke around the forums here, you will see that the developer is pretty good about staying in touch and acknowledging enhancement suggestions and questions.

This message was edited Apr 07, 2009.
kitty

There is a mass exodus taking place over there. To everyone who is coming from RTM, welcome to Toodledo.

It will take you a while to get used to the great customer support and happy users--but hang in there. You'll eventually get spoiled like the rest of us ;)
Vin Thomas

Posted: Apr 08, 2009
Yep. I am another convert. I switched a few months back and I am just AMAZED at how excellent TD is at responding to the community. I had major gripes with how little RTM seemed to respond to the concerns I (and others) expressed in the forums. I check the TD forums every day. TD is constantly answering questions from all the users and makes it great to be here.

I upgraded to pro mainly because I was so impressed with the customer service. I wanted to show TD that I did support the service. And when I did, and found subtasks, it make it even BETTER!

Thanks so much Toodledo! You are by far the BEST online todo list available.
Sytone

I looked at both and perfered the simpler approach of ToodleDo. And the API is not to bad either, im building a nice set of classes against it.
garyo

Score: 1 Reference
Another "me too": started with RTM, used it for a few months, started to get frustrated, looked around for alternatives, saw the above-reference postings, checked out TD, and now here I am, just having canceled my RTM account.

Not that TD still doesn't have work to do, but the communication is way better and the feature set is already on parity (better in some ways, not yet in some ways) so I feel like I made the right decision. And yes, I have a pro acct.

PS: Frossie, love the site analytics graph. You are way too clever.
Anders

Posted: May 14, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
Posted by frossie:

Has anyone checked this out recently? The 3 month view is particularly dramatic. Steady growth vs. steady decline.
carmentalis

Posted: May 14, 2009
Those really are interesting figures. Impressive and, more importantly, continuous growth for Toodledo, and a startling descent for RTM (and the trend doesn't look good there).

The forums over there have quieted down, but it looks like the silent users are starting to vote with their feet and moving elsewhere. Four months of continuous decline, with no sign of slowing down? Not good. And Toodledo is maintaining its growth rate at the same time.

(Btw, still very very happy with Toodledo, and not missing RTM in any way. I'm so happy I switched!)
ted.hogan

Posted: May 20, 2009
LOL

I'm the last poster on that thread you quoted. I was going to purchase a subscription today, but changed my mind and came over here instead.

Man, I am really glad I did! I had no idea that something this cool was out there. After years of searching, I have found something that I think has everything I want. The developer response is fantastic and is what will keep me here.

These guys "get it". I wish them well and hope their numbers reflect that.

This message was edited May 20, 2009.
mosherinc

Posted: Jul 19, 2009
Help,

My Toodledo will not launch on my desktop, so I am not getting a sync with my iPhone.

Cant find a customer service phone number or email.

Can anyone help me find a contact number?

[email protected]
Anders

Posted: Jul 19, 2009
Here is the page with contact/help links: https://www.toodledo.com/info/contact.php
If you could post your problem in the Questions Forum , myself or some of the other helpful forum members may be able to help you out, but you are going to have to be more detailed about your issue. Toodledo is not a desktop app. It is a webapp, and you should be able to get to your to do lists from here by clicking "My To Do List" at the top of the left sidebar.

This message was edited Jul 19, 2009.
Tyler

Posted: Jul 21, 2009
Posted by mosherinc:
Help,

My Toodledo will not launch on my desktop, so I am not getting a sync with my iPhone.

This won't necessarily help you with the iPhone, but if you'd like to simulate using ToodleDo as a desktop app, there are a bunch of different solutions.

I personally have been satisfied with using Mozilla's Prism (an extension for Firefox), which allows you to launch ToodleDo in a simplified, standalone browser.

The purpose of this is that it is "distraction free" (kind of) -- you reduce the temptation of checking the NY Times for example. It is also faster because it's a scaled-down browser, and you can launch it from a desktop icon.

But it is still a browser, you need online access. (Many people have requested offline ability to edit their TD list, and I believe that the developers have said this is on their list of future implementations.)
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.