ForumsGeneral Off Topic Chit-ChatIntegrating Lists, Outlines, Notes with Tasks?

Integrating Lists, Outlines, Notes with Tasks?
jpv2112-s

Posted: Jun 19, 2015
Score: 7 Reference
I'm not sure if this topic is planned or previously discussed, but I think that the essential value of Toodledo are the task management tools especially task aggregation, prioritization and sorting. However, at some point in the past few years, TD has chosen to add Notes, Outlines and Lists. I find that these new tools are not very useful because they don't integrate in to the Task list at all. The essence of us humans creating outlines/notes/lists is to do something with them at some point (or at least sort through all the things we want to do with our lives and choose the most valuable things that we have time for), and if there's no ability to integrate lists/notes/outlines in the main task list, they're just one more separate list/note/outline to keep track of.

I assume this is obvious to TD since they added a "buy a house" example to the outline section. Aren't all those outline items meant to be done at some point? How does one assign deadlines and integrate those house-buying tasks in with the rest of the ongoing projects we all have? Copy and paste?

Until these added features integrate in to the task lists, Evernote is a much better tool for lists, notes and outlines.
steve.wellmann

Posted: Jul 24, 2015
Score: 1 Reference
Couldn't agree more, there appears to be an opportunity for integration and synergy between many of these instead they are disjointed tools that are not nearly as good as competitors in the marketplace that specialize the similar type functions.

Time to invest in the integration.

On the same topic time to invest in the mobile app as well, very dated.
TheGriff_2

Posted: Jul 28, 2015
Score: 1 Reference
Currently one can attach notes/outlines/lists to tasks IF they are a premium subscriber at the $30 level. I view the added functionality of lists and outlines to be a way to simplify a task list by breaking non time-sensitive "stuff" out to a different area.

A recent example where this would have come in handy is in planning an event. I had a single task on my list called "group replies". While I could have added a subtask for each person (I'm a $15 subscriber) it would have been cleaner to create a list of the people expected to reply and attach it to a single task. Then as each person replied I could have visited the list and ticked off those who'd replied. Only once the list was filled with ticks would I check off "group replies".

I think lists would be handy for packing, groceries, stores, cleaning routines, etc. when used in the way described above. One task, "get groceries" with an attached list to the grocery list.

I don't find much benefit to the outlines feature though as it does seem to duplicate the functionality of tasks/subtasks. Were there a way to send an individual outline item or node to the task list then I would see benefit with project planning.
jpv2112-s

Posted: Aug 18, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
Although lists/notes can be "attached" to a task, it's not the same as creating a list of items that need doing (I would think almost all list items are intended to be done at some point), assigning a due date and having that list item appear in the task area. I think there are enough existing options in Toodledo (e.g., goals, sub-goals) to group tasks in to lists that can be translated in to tasks, but not as convenient.
coolexplorer

Posted: Aug 19, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
Integration between Lists, Outlines and Habits or Strengthening the Task Management features would be beneficial.
I currently keep my Lists as sub-tasks under a Parent task with all set to Negative priority. When I need them I star them or use Custom views to see them. One could force them to appear by location, due date etc. but these are all workarounds.
The Lists tab of course have multiple columns and sorting.... therefore easy linking/integration with Tasks for Silver subscribers would be useful.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.