ForumsGeneral Off Topic Chit-ChatI love Toodledo but hey guys take a look at ClickUp!

I love Toodledo but hey guys take a look at ClickUp!
marcemobile_3

Posted: Mar 13, 2019
Score: 1 Reference
I've used Toodledo for about 3 years now and it works well for me. But today I discovered Clickup at clickup.com which is comparable in price but seems to have more features and dare I say it, Is easier on the eye and easier to use! Has anybody else used it and considering it now as a better option?

I've read that its android app is a bit clunky and the web app on mobiles is too. But as Toodledo has gone up in price quite considerably its now at this application's price bracket. So we're bound to be looking.

In addition you can send html emails and it sends a copy of the original thereby it does not loose content.

I'm still trialling it.

This message was edited Mar 13, 2019.
Duo

Posted: Mar 14, 2019
I found ClickUp in December, thanks to members of these forums being driven to discuss alternatives to Toodledo.

I trailed it extensively and at the time I thought it needed several more months of work to be really useful to me.

Well, the web version 2.0 is going to be released shortly and the Android mobile version 2.0 should be released soon after that.

They add new features to the software every week and have added a number of significant new features since I started using it, not just minor updates.

I'm looking forward to version 2.0.
marcemobile_3

Posted: Mar 14, 2019
Score: 0 Reference
Thanks Duo for your input. It looks like Clickup is going to be a real contender. I've noticed they have the option to create dependency subtasks and wait for it. You can produce reports on closed items!

Well the developers of Toodledo have to move quickly to stand a chance in the marketplace at this level.
Purveyor

Posted: Mar 21, 2019
Score: 2 Reference
@marcemobile_3, thanks for suggestion.

Clickup is incredibly powerful and flexible. Perhaps too much for a single user (it is designed for teams) but it offers a lot of features in the free version that aren't available in Toodledo at any price:

1. Drag and drop reordering
2. Select and edit multiple tasks
3. Rich text formatting, including (but not limited to) Markdown
4. Drag and drop attachments, and view photo thumbnails
5. Embed and view photos and videos in notes.
6. Task dependencies
7. Custom statuses
8. Right-click menus
9. Kanban view
10. Easily create two-way task linking
11. Outlook add-in
12. Custom fields (some limitations)

The calendar is amazing: Time view (Calendar).

The "Unlimited" subscription at $5/month/user offers Gantt views and advanced options for teams, including permissions and advanced reporting. For team projects and tasks, Clickup is way better than Toodledo.

It is highly customizable but some features are missing: Locations, Stars, Statistics and Scheduler, and the mobile app is a bit difficult to use.
"Context" is missing but there's something that I think is even better: Spaces.
Also, filtering is not as powerful as it is in Toodledo and sorting is not as easy.
And, I'm sure that some users prefer the spreadsheet format in Toodledo.

FWIW, here's the team.

This message was edited Mar 21, 2019.
marcemobile_3

Posted: Apr 14, 2019
I agree what a lot of features can be used in ClickUp. But I couldnt believe it when I became unstuck. It seems that you are not able to specify a reminder for an individual task. Instead set reminders overall ie set a reminder to email the status of active tasks. With Toodledo as you know you can specify reminders for varying times for an individual task.

Thats a little crazy of ClickUp to miss that invaluable feature. :-(
-J-O-D-

Posted: Apr 15, 2019
This month, Clickup 2.0 should get into beta, I believe, including lots of features. If I am not mistaken, including reminders. Really, I am subscriber to both Clickup and Toodledo, for now, and in the end there could only be one winner - but I cannot decide just now.

Posted by marcemobile_3:
I agree what a lot of features can be used in ClickUp. But I couldnt believe it when I became unstuck. It seems that you are not able to specify a reminder for an individual task. Instead set reminders overall ie set a reminder to email the status of active tasks. With Toodledo as you know you can specify reminders for varying times for an individual task.

Thats a little crazy of ClickUp to miss that invaluable feature. :-(
marcemobile_3

Posted: Apr 30, 2019
Thank you J-O-D for that update. I will be keenly watching and waiting for the beta version! :-)
greginfla_

Posted: Jul 02, 2019
I just recently found clickup..... looks very promising. I love the custom field options. Still learning. Before toodledo was fair with pricing. Yes, toodledo is quirky but it was half the cost of other programs. But now, the new owners want to charge mass market rate, well now I am comparing Toodledo with the other apps.
greginfla_

Posted: Jul 02, 2019
Does Toodledo have a history of taking down negative post? I notice the threat pro/cons of toodledo alternative seems to be taken down. If it was my business I would too, but I haven't seen this activity in the past. Just wondering if this is a new charter of Toodeldo.
guardprivy-1

Posted: Aug 17, 2019
I just spent half the day testing out Clickup in hopes it could replace Toodledo. Nope. Clickup is SLOOOOW and wastes so much screen real estate with blank space, plus it cannot do boolean-based reports (or a Hotlist that includes both Due Today and Next Actions all on one screen). But, the killer is the slow as molasses performance of the Clickup Windows client. I need to get things done, and the wait time for screen refresh is nuts. Sticking with Toodledo with fingers crossed that they succeed.
Duo

Posted by greginfla:
Does Toodledo have a history of taking down negative post? I notice the threat pro/cons of toodledo alternative seems to be taken down. If it was my business I would too, but I haven't seen this activity in the past. Just wondering if this is a new charter of Toodeldo.

It's still there in the 'Questions' forum:

https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/26261/0/proscons-of-alternatives-to-toodledo.html

but now it's currently back on page 3 since the last reply was on July 18th 2019.

I'm pretty sure I answered that same question a couple of weeks ago but I can't see that post anywhere.
Duo

Posted by dotparker:
I just spent half the day testing out Clickup in hopes it could replace Toodledo. Nope. Clickup is SLOOOOW and wastes so much screen real estate with blank space, plus it cannot do boolean-based reports (or a Hotlist that includes both Due Today and Next Actions all on one screen). But, the killer is the slow as molasses performance of the Clickup Windows client. I need to get things done, and the wait time for screen refresh is nuts. Sticking with Toodledo with fingers crossed that they succeed.

Were you able to test the 2.0 beta?
guardprivy-1

Posted: Aug 18, 2019
Hi Duo -

I have not tested the Clickup 2.0 beta. But, the link below shows comments regarding the slow performance of 2.0 from those who are using it. Their reports are quite unfavorable. That said, one of the developers said that until they can fully migrate 2.0 to the newly optimized backend, some of the performance improvements cannot yet be seen. I'll keep my account open there to try 2.0 out when it is fully ported.

This thread is the feedback on 2.0's speed issues: https://feedback.clickup.com/feature-requests/p/faster-response-time-and-performance

Again, I truly hope that Toodledo refocuses on its core base of users. The reviews on iTunes for Toodledo are extremely positive (even recent ones) and I believe people that use Toodledo really love it. I know that I do. Hopefully Anant can pull back on developing enterprise products, and stick to its bread & butter constituency.

This message was edited Aug 18, 2019.
Ummagumma

Posted: Aug 20, 2019
The problem is, its current pricing structure can only be supported by enterprise users. There’s not enough laypeople willing to pay these subscription prices for a niche service with low name recognition in a highly competitive market.

All paid services are getting squeezed. I’ve been using the free MS ToDo for the past two months, started playing with it for sh*ts&giggles but find it actually very decent - whatever deficiencies it may have (hey, it’s Microsoft!) is offset by it having both a full featured desktop client (on W10 and Mac) and a full featured web access client, on top of mobile. It supports file attachments and a level of email integration (only with Microsoft or exchange accounts).

Apple Reminders are getting a major facelift, too. AFAIK separate alarm and due dates, attachments, and some level of natural input. Supposed to go live in September.

I am sure that Google will follow the lead, too.

To survive in this environment, a paid task service would need to pull quite a few tricks. And trying to sell to enterprises is .... a daunting task, to say the least. The dragons at the gates look at the bottom line and don’t understand why they must pay for something they are already paying for with Office 365 or G-Suite.

I am not an entrepreneur, but if it was me, I’d try to give Toodledo a major visual facelift, create simple yet attractive mobile clients, drop notes and habits and goals, and use blogs and social media to promote the heck out of task management systems that utilize TD’s unique features (start time, advance filtering etc). Sell a method, not a service, and make it as attractive as possible.

However the train has left already, I’m afraid...
Purveyor

Posted: Aug 22, 2019
Posted by Duo:
Were you able to test the 2.0 beta?
I have tested 2.0.
I don't see using it as a personal task manager. It is designed for collaboration and some of the collaborative features get in the way of individual use.
For example: When I open a task to see all the details, there's a large section for the history of all edits, including who added or edited the task. I don't need to see that, and there's no way of hiding it. There's even a way of seeing all "Watchers", i.e. other users who have access to the task, and comments by other users about the task.

The list of tasks can be modified to display/hide various fields but, by default, the field "Assignees" is displayed.

There are many great features, as I pointed out in my post above, and now there's the ability to embed a URL or HTML, along with other new features. See ClickUp 2.0.

Perhaps the upcoming Mind Maps, Timeline and Automation will swing me over (see bottom of page ClickUp Features) but I doubt it. I'm happy with Remember The Milk

This message was edited Aug 22, 2019.
greginfla_

Posted: Sep 16, 2019
hey has anyone played with teamwork's? I was intrigued by clickup and someone mentioned teamwork and it looks pretty good. anyone have an opinion?
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.