ForumsDevelopersImplementing Android Alarm Notifications

Implementing Android Alarm Notifications
ykphuah

Posted: Nov 03, 2013
Score: 0 Reference
There's only a "remind" field in the Task, if I set this to say 60, and I have emails selected in toodledo web, that means an email will be sent. What should I do if I want to let the user to configure android notifications instead of going through the alarms configured on the web? Do I need to use another field that is not synced to toodledo web?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Toodledo cannot yet send Android notifications, so you will need to implement this yourself. You can use the task "meta" field to store any unique information that cannot be otherwise synced to Toodledo's normal fields.
ykphuah

Yeah, I get it that Toodledo doesn't support Android notifications. I am the author of the MyToodle Android App and I want to implement Android Notifications.

Here are my requirements:
1. Users should be able to set the "alarm" field checkbox from my android app.
2. Users should be able to choose whether to receive notifications via email,twitter,sms etc.
3. Users should be able to choose to receive notifications via Android OS.

Will it work if I do this:
1. For users who wishes to receive alarms via email, they will need to add an email alarm location, then they select "alarm" checkbox from my android app, which gets synced as the "remind" field. Then they choose in my app's settings to receive notifications from toodledo.

2. For users who wishes to receive alarms via notifications, they will need to add an iOS alarm Location (or else they won't see the alarm setting on toodledoweb), then they select the "alarm" checkbox from my android app. Then they choose in my app's settings to receive notifications from Android OS. Will this have any side effects?

This message was edited Nov 03, 2013.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Your solution should work. You could also instruct users to setup a webhook alarm location and have that tie into your app's notification system if possible.
ykphuah

Posted: Nov 04, 2013
Webhooks are still toodledoweb generated notifications. So I will have a third option.

1. For users who wishes to receive alarms via email, they will need to add an email alarm location, then they select "alarm" checkbox from my android app, which gets synced as the "remind" field. Then they choose in my app's settings to receive notifications from toodledo.

2. For users who wishes to receive alarms via notifications generated locally, they will need to add an iOS alarm Location (or else they won't see the alarm setting on toodledoweb), then they select the "alarm" checkbox from my android app. Then they choose in my app's settings to receive notifications from Android OS. Will this have any side effects?

3. For users who wishes to receive alarms via notifications generated from toodledo's webhook, they will need to add an Webhook Alarm Location. Then they choose in my app's settings to receive notifications from toodledo. Will figure if I will be able to tie this into GCM, but I don't see much advantage of this over #2 above, which should be more consistent and predictable.

This message was edited Nov 04, 2013.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
I do not see any negative side effects from #2 unless the customer has both an Android and iOS device and wants to get alarms on both. Enabling the "webhook" and then leaving the webhook box empty should enable the alarm field and not cause any side effects.
ykphuah

Ok noted, thanks!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.