ForumsDevelopersOutlook Client 0.9.8.4 is Available

Outlook Client 0.9.8.4 is Available
keef

Posted: Aug 09, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
Apologies for the debacle of the last release. I have hopefully fixed the 'Object Null Reference' issue that some people were having and I have added some safe guard code to try and ensure the server flooding issue doesn't occur again.

Thanks need to go the the Toodledo admins for their fast response on this. The developer support here is fantastic even when we (okay, I) stuff things up.

As usual, the latest release is available from http://www.chromadrake.com

keef
spyboy

Sync still isn't working. Adding my Toodledo ID Number & password validates during install, but afterwards, it gets "Error during synchronization" during a manual sync.

I even rebooted my pc and it still the same error comes up.
keef

Please mail a diagnostic trace to me [developer(at)chromadrake.com] and I'll try and help you get this sorted.

keef
Phil

Me too same problem. It worked this morning but now getting "Error during synchronization".

How do I send a diagnostic trace? Checking show trace output within the app doesn't help as it shows nothing. The error occurs immediately.

Cheers,

:-)
keef

Hi Phil,

In the case where you cant get anything from the GUI there will be a trace log called syncapp.log in the program's installation folder i.e. C:\Program Files\Chromatic Dragon\Toodledo Sync Application\syncapp.log

Please note however that this problem seems to be mostly caused by people not uninstalling the previous version before upgrading. My recommendation is to a) Uninstall all previous versions. b) Reboot c) Install the latest version.

This procedure fixed the issue for spyboy.

keef
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We've removed our filters that were blocking the Outlook Sync app, so it should all be back to normal now. Please upgrade to the latest version as soon as possible.
Phil

Thanks guys, you were right. A full install reboot and reinstall did the trick.

I must point out a small flaw in the installer:

I have a folder named "AV" (for audio video) in:

C:\Users\Phil\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\AV

(my local start menu)

Every time I install the synch app it installs into and creates this folder:

C:\Users\Phil\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\AV\Startup

Not a problem for me as I don't want the synch app to auto start. I just delete the newly created "startup" folder move the synch short cut and run it manually.

Thought you may want to look at it anyway.

:-)
keef

Hi Phil,
I'll look at making the startup icon deployment an option for the next release.
Keef
Kenneth LeFebvre

Posted: Aug 12, 2008
Keef,

Do you have a description of how you map from Toodledo to Outlook anywhere? I use categories quite a bit in Outlook and I'm wondering how they map back to Folders and Contexts. Sometimes they seem to map to both and sometimes I end up creating new Folders when I mean to be assigning a Context.

Also, I'm interested in the idea of mapping SubTasks, too... if you want some collaboration on the brainstorming for an approach to do that, I'd be happy to do some thinking along those lines.
barriebowden

Posted: Aug 15, 2008
Keef,

Not sure if this is an appropriate place to post a defect report, but...

Sometimes (maybe always - I am not certain), if I create a task with a due date in Outlook, then sync with toodledo, then remove the due date in Outlook, then sync with Toodledo again, then the due date is not removed in Toodledo.

Otherwise, an essential tool for Outlook, Toodledo, ToDo, iPhone users like myself.

Cheers

Barrie Bowden
keef

Hi Barrie,

Thanks for raising that. This is the appropriate and I'll add this to the bug list.

Cheers

keef

This message was edited Aug 15, 2008.
mda

Keef --

A couple of questions:

1. I noticed that if I manually manipulate the tdcontext field in Outlook -- either changing an existing task from one context to another, or by manually setting a context for a new task -- those changes don't get synced up to Toodledo. Is this by design?

2. Is there any way that we could get a tdfolder user property?

The reason I'm asking -- There are a few of us who have traditionally used Outlook Categories as a proxy for both GTD Contexts and GTD Projects. So, all of my tasks have two categories, e.g. "@Office,Work - Launch New Widget" and "@Home,Personal - Home Maintenance"

Yes, it's messier than GTD purists would like... but working with categories in Outlook is easy, and other apps understand Outlook categories....so it's adequate.

I'd love to see your tool be smart enough to sync context/folder (as appropriate) with a blended category...but I imagine that would be rather ugly to do.

However, within Outlook it isn't that hard to write VBA to keep the categories field synced with separate context/project user properties.

So, if there were tdcontext and tdfolder fields which synced both ways...the door would be opened to some pretty potent possibilities.
keef

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions.

The tdcontext field is one way at the moment, but I can look at making it two way in the future
It should be fairly easy to add a tdfolder property. If I can I will make it two way as well.

I am working on fixing some fairly large stability issues at the moment, but I will consider add these changes to the enhancements queue.

Cheers

Keef
anagrani_2000

Keef,

My sync client gives me the following error. Once the error occurs I have a few tasks which get duplicated prior to this error. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ash

SyncApp.exe Error: 0 : Error during synchronization The operation cannot be performed because the message has been changed. at Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook._TaskItem.Save()
at OutlookClientLib.OutlookProxy.setUserPropertyValue(TaskItem item, String propName, String value)
at SynchLib.TaskItemProcessor.updateTaskItemFromTask(TaskItem taskItem, Task task)
at SynchLib.StateUpdatedOnToodleDo.Process()
at SynchLib.SyncContext.process()
at SynchLib.SyncTool.processContextStates(List`1 contexts)
at SynchLib.SyncTool.processContexts(List`1 contexts)
at SynchLib.SyncTool.performIncrementalSynch(SyncInfo syncinfo)
at SynchLib.SyncTool.synchronizeTasks()
at SyncApp.frmMain.backgroundWorker1_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)
anagrani_2000

Keef,

I think I figured it out. I had a task which was open for editing and had unsaved changes. Once I closed the window, the sync when through fine.

Ash
TonyH

Posted: Aug 16, 2008
Hi Keef,
I sent you an email a few days ago and am sending it again now regarding duplications. Less than half of my tasks copy on the initial sync and on the second, third, etc syncs, they are duplicated over again and again and... You get the idea.

Did you get my email? Do you have any ideas?

--Tony

This message was edited Aug 16, 2008.
keef

Posted: Aug 16, 2008
Hi Tony,

There is a problem with current versions of the client where any issue that occurs during the sync will abort the entire process and force the sync client to start from scratch the next time it is run. This is causing duplicates for a lot of people.

I am currently working on a new release to fix this and it should be available this week.

Hope that helps

keef
anagrani_2000

Posted: Aug 19, 2008
Keef,

I still keep getting the following error even though that item is not opened anywhere. Is it because I am using plaxo to sync my tasks with other computers? Thank you.

Ash

SyncApp.exe Error: 0 : Error during synchronization The operation cannot be performed because the message has been changed. at Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook._TaskItem.Save()
at OutlookClientLib.OutlookProxy.setUserPropertyValue(TaskItem item, String propName, String value)
at SynchLib.TaskItemProcessor.updateTaskItemFromTask(TaskItem taskItem, Task task)
at SynchLib.StateUpdatedOnToodleDo.Process()
at SynchLib.StateUpdatedOnBoth.Process()
at SynchLib.SyncTool.processContextStates(List`1 contexts)
at SynchLib.SyncTool.processContexts(List`1 contexts)
at SynchLib.SyncTool.performIncrementalSynch(SyncInfo syncinfo)
at SynchLib.SyncTool.synchronizeTasks()
at SyncApp.frmMain.backgroundWorker1_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)
keef

Posted: Aug 19, 2008
Hi Ash,
That's the most likely reason. Have you upgraded to the latest version (0.9.8.6)? That version should self recover from an error with a single task. Give it a go and see if things improve. keef
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.