ForumsDevelopersOutlook failing to sync unless running in background

Outlook failing to sync unless running in background
Justin

Posted: Oct 05, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
Toodledo outlook sync, has no problems installed on my laptop.
But when running on my PC (vista, outlook07 app 0.9.9.0) it fails to sync unless I run outlook first and leave it in the background.

error message when outlook not running:
error during synchronisation: could not initialize outlook proxy
(as far as I am aware I dont use an outlook proxy??)

log:

SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : SynchLib:synchronizeTasks() method called
SyncApp.exe Error: 0 : OutlookProxy:initialize() initialization error The message filter indicated that the application is busy. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8001010A (RPC_E_SERVERCALL_RETRYLATER)) at Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.NameSpaceClass.GetDefaultFolder(OlDefaultFolders FolderType)
at OutlookClientLib.OutlookProxy.initialize()
SyncApp.exe Error: 0 : Error during synchronization: Could not initialize outlook proxy
at OutlookClientLib.OutlookProxy.initialize()
at OutlookClientLib.OutlookProxy.initializeInstance()
at SynchLib.SyncTool.synchronizeTasks()
at SyncApp.frmMain.backgroundWorker1_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)

any thoughts?
Justin
keef

Posted: Oct 05, 2008
The 'outlook proxy' is an internal library that the application uses to communicate with Outlook. The error seems to be occurring because thi slibrary cannot initialise a connection with Outlook unless it is already running.

This is most likely an environmental/platform issue on your PC. My prime suspects would be anti-virus, spyware or firewall products blocking the launch of the Outlook process. Another alternative could be that you have another applicaiton that is interfacing with Outlook which is blocking my app from working.

Does the problem still exist if you log in as an administrator?

keef
Welshbaloney

Posted: Oct 25, 2008
Score: -1 Reference
I had the same problem and solved it by exiting X1 which is a desktop search tool a la Google Desktop. Inconvenient, but I don't mind doing it once a day to sync up.

Tony.
keef

Posted: Oct 25, 2008
Thanks for the tip Tony!
keef
meschubert

Posted: Oct 28, 2008
I get the same error message off and on where the application complains about not being able to initialize Outlook proxy, but in the opposite situation...when Outlook is up and running. If I shut Outlook down, the next Toodledo sync will be fine. It will also stay fine the next time I bring Outlook back up.

Let me clearly say that this is not a frequently occurring error, but in some way, Outlook 2007 and Toodledosync seem to step on each other from time to time.

90% of the time everything works as expected. I am a heavy Outlook user and use it many hours per day. 10% of the time Outlook and Toodledosync seem to get out of sync accessing the Outlook pst file and one of the applications "looses" it's access.

If Toodledosync loses its access it behaves as I just described. If Outlook looses the battle, it complains about the pst file being modified from another workstation. Recovery either way is straightforward by shutting down Outlook and bringing it back up.

I have a suspicion about the cause, which I will comment on after some testing.
keef

Posted: Oct 28, 2008
I think I am going to add a switch to the next release to allow you to choose whether Toodledo shuts its outlook version down between syncs or not. The older versions (0.9.8.7 and below) kept an instance of the Outlook API running at all times and didn't seem to have these troubles.

keef
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.