ForumsDevelopersSynchronizing Tags and Status in Outlook

Synchronizing Tags and Status in Outlook
rob

Posted: Nov 22, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
The Chromatic Dragon ToodledoSync application is pretty marvelous, but I wanted to post and find out more information about a couple features I'd like to see. I'm not sure if there is some way of achieving these that I'm unaware of, or what limitations there might be so I figured I'd post and see what the story is:

1) Tags in Outlook

From what I can find Tags in Toodledo do not synchronize to Outlook. Is this correct? If so, is there any idea of when it might be available?

2) Status in Outlook

I greatly prefer the detailed (and GTD-oriented) naming that Toodledo implements for task status to that of the default Outlook usage conventions. I notice that synchronization maps the Toodledo conventions to the existing Outlook conventions, but does not replace them. I'm assuming this is an Outlook limitation...Is there any way to overwrite the Outlook status conventions with those used by Toodledo?
keef

Posted: Nov 22, 2008
There isn't much that I can do about the status translation. The status options in Outlook are hard coded.

I probably could sync the tag somewhere, but I'd need a destination for it. Any suggestions as to what field to use? In the worst case I could make a custom property I guess.

keef
menza

Posted: Nov 23, 2008
There is an Outlook addon called Taglocity at Taglocity.com if you could store the tags the same way as the add-in does, then you could have synced tags.
rob

Posted: Nov 24, 2008
Posted by keef:
There isn't much that I can do about the status translation. The status options in Outlook are hard coded.

I probably could sync the tag somewhere, but I'd need a destination for it. Any suggestions as to what field to use? In the worst case I could make a custom property I guess.

keef

I suspected that the status list was hard-coded into Outlook. That's a shame.

Let me think about the tag field. I was originally thinking it would have to be a custom property, but I'll look at it again.
Per

Posted: Dec 03, 2008
Hi All
A field called tdtag would be perfect
Cheers
rob

Posted: Dec 05, 2008
Posted by Per:
Hi All
A field called tdtag would be perfect
Cheers

For maximum flexibility, I'd say that Per is correct.
keef

Posted: Dec 05, 2008
Yep, I am going to look at this for the next release

keef
menza

Posted: Jan 07, 2009
Could you create a custom field for status. This would allow me to create a system that better mimics Toodledo in Outlook?
keef

Posted: Jan 07, 2009
I'll look into that for the next release
keef
marc.brosius

Posted: May 24, 2009
Hi keef,
thank you for your great work.
But I would love to see the TD-status in OL.
I am using OL2007 and found a field 'custom status', which is text/text.
You could sync this field i.e. or create a custom field tdstatus.
Is the status-sync still on your roadmap?

Marc
keef

Posted: May 25, 2009
Hi Marc,
Thanks for bumping this thread. I had forgotten about this.
I'll add this as a task for the next release right now.
keef
elgabo

Posted: Jun 23, 2009
oh yes, a tdstatus custom field will be great. Thanks
Andy

Posted: Oct 26, 2009
bump

Is there still a potential for "tdstatus" or syncing with Outlook's "Custom Status" field?

I am using GTD with Outlook and since I use status to derive my next action list, it'd be great if the TD status values could sync with Outlook.

Thanks for this great tool. Even without status syncing, it is working fabulously for me, especially now that I can sync category<>context.

Cheers!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.