ForumsThird-Party ApplicationsTodo 2 now out

Todo 2 now out
marisa_whitfield

Posted: Apr 27, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
The new version of Todo has just come out and I've just downloaded it, it is really good. There are lots of new things, checklists, you can now sms direct from a task and best of all sub tasks. It all seems to be working just as fast and stable as ever - think this one's a keeper for me.
Anders

Are subtasks shown flattened, or nested but in the main list, or must you go through the parent if nested like the official Toodledo app? I could just redownload it I suppose, but it isn't worth it to me unless the tasks are shown nested, but in the main list if you understand what I mean.
Alan

Nested. Actually, tasks with subtasks become projects and use a separate icon. It's actually a nice implementation and it sinks perfectly with Toodledo.

Also new in Todo 2.0 is the ability to manually sort your tasks on a list. That doesn't sync to Toodledo, but when you sync back to Todo 2.0, it appears that the order you create sticks.

Neat enhancement: ability to select due dates from a calendar interface instead of the wheels.

Go to their homepage at http://www.appigo.com/ -- they have a video highlighting the features. I love this app and use it daily.
Anders

Yes, I will have to check this out. I was unhappy with the older versions of Todo, and moved on to other apps. There were a number of reasons I preferred the official app, and even Ultimate Todos, but this seems like it is a major update.
Claudio

Posted: Apr 28, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
I dug up one of my old posts about Toodledo and Appigo Todo:
Features that the Toodledo app has that are not in Appigo Todo:

Subtasks
Star, Length, Goal, Start Date.
Choose which fields to display, and the order of the fields
Views based on Due Date, Priorities, Tags, Status, and Recent.
The same terminology as the Web app for Folders, Hotlist, and No Folder, which are called Lists, Focus, and Inbox in Todo.
Priorities are the same as Web app (Top, High, Medium, Low, Negative), compared to High, Med, Low in Todo.
Due Date has options: Due by, Due On, Due After, Optionally On
Can hide or show Negative Priority, Future Tasks, Deferred Tasks
Automatic sync is faster and less intrusive than Todo.
Many more choices for the Application Badge.
Easier way to sort tasks.
Appigo has addressed just one of the points above: Subtasks.
Features that Appigo Todo has that are not in the Toodledo app:

Nicer interface (in my opinion)
When opening App, it starts at the screen that was open when you exited the App.
Filter by any combination of Folder, Context and Tags (with the ability to filter by more than one Tag.)
Choose from a list of Tags when creating or editing a Task.
Sync from any screen.
List of tasks indicates which tasks are repeating.
Can to copy from Todo to Notebook and vice versa.
Can display Completed tasks as Strikeout (with many choices for displaying Strikeout).
Choices on how long to display Completed tasks, from one day to one year, or All.
Choices on which Lists (Folders) to display. (Useful if you use different Folders for Tasks and Notebook.)
The current Toodledo app does indicate which tasks are repeating, but is still missing the other features above.

The new Appigo Todo app allows you to change the order of tasks in a list, including the subtasks that are part of a "master" task, which is now identified as a "Project".
Also, there's a nice feature called Checklist for creating simple lists of non-dated items.
Anders

FYI, another Toodledoer is reporting subtask anomalies syncing between Toodledo and Todo: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/1908/0/bug-report-syncing-taskssubtasks-with-appigos-todo-20.html
Claudio

A few more features in Appigo Todo:

The ability to assign a color to a Folder.
Several "Themes" for displaying Priority: Mac style, Windows style, RTM, Toodledo, Shapes, Numbers.
The ability to change an existing task into a subtask of a Project.
The ability to create an SMS task linked to a Contact.
A "Quick entry" function for adding tasks by just typing one line.

This message was edited Apr 28, 2009.
Anders

Thanks for the Todo news. You guys convinced me.

I downloaded Todo again, and the subtask/checklist options are really cool. The checklists which function like ultra-simplified sets of subtasks are a great idea which I think I should recommend to Toodledo for the website.

The big letdown for me was that there is still no support of stars (or flags as some 3rd party apps call them). I have come to absolutely rely on those quite often to make on the go focus lists of the things I need to look at, and the same specific group of tasks cannot usually be reached with filtering, etc. I was a little disappointed when I saw my starred tasks and realized that the star is cannot be turned on/off with one touch, but then I realized you cannot add or remove stars at all on Todo. I don't know what Appigo has against stars, but it's killing me.

Still, 2.0 is a huge upgrade, giving the official app a run for its money. I have to use them both together for a while before I will make a call.
kmf

Posted: May 09, 2009
Does Todo 2 support Goals ?
This would be awesome :)
Anders

These fields are not supported: Goals, Star, Start Date/Time, Status, and there is one less priority level.
It is a really nice app with some cool features that are not based on Toodledo, but I still think for people who really like the Toodledo site, and want an app mainly as a means of offline access, the official Toodledo app is better. It's a tough choice though because the special task types and handling of subtasks in Todo are pretty awesome.
kmf

Thanks this clears up alot! I'm torn between the 2 apps at the momement ... does the Toodledo App support the Notebook?
Anders

Nope. None of the Task apps that sync to Toodledo support the Notebook. The only current app for it is the Notebook app by appigo. That does work together with Todo if you have both, but not in what seems to me to be a particularly useful way (Make a note into a task, or the reverse).

I actually made the suggestion to Toodledo recently to add Notebook support for the official app, or at least make a second app sort of like Appigo has done. You can find it here if you want to second it: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/1957/-9050/iphone-app-notebook-feature.html

I also know that PI is adding a notebook function, and it may or may not sync with the Toodledo Notebook. I think and hope it will, but the majority of their customers seem far more concerned with syncing to Outlook notes. Of course they could, and may, do both.

And yes, it's a tough call between Todo and Toodledo, but as fantastic as some of Todo's features are, the lack of support for some fields that are key to my current way of working handicaps it for me, but both are still on my device. I think when the next update to the official app comes out, I will probably make my decision then.

This message was edited May 09, 2009.
Aamy

Posted: May 22, 2009
Hiya,

New to the forum. I too felt the Todo 2.0 is an awesome update, with one major drawback which takes it far from even basic GTD optimal use. If it showed the project under the tasks (instead of the project itself) in the Focussed list (Hotlist), it would have been great. I don't understand why they wanted to use the list names under the taskNames/projectNames when the list are usually less in numbers and you can use color coding to identify tasks under which lists they belong it. But its a not a big pain, just an option which can be removed.

But instead of having this option, the option should have been "Show either Project or List" under the tasks and don't show the projects themselves and just show NextActions - would have made a 500% success from my personal opinion.

I have tons of other suggestions also - find it here http://groups.google.com/group/appigo-todo/browse_thread/thread/0f327237c9c6a2ba#

Since the NextActions are my most important preference rather than having tons of NextActionProjects in my Focussed list, I found this wonderful feature already available in Pocket Informant. They are awesome with having both todo and calendars in a single app. I don't imagine going back to Appigo's todo if the PocketInformant improve their Toodledo sync anomoly and improve their stability.

But, I would advice you not to try it till heir next version (which is already submitted to Apple) in the next few days is out. Because their current version, really sucks when it comes to performance, unless u don't have a heavy list of tasks, plz plz don't try it, u will start hating it.

And, moreover, they have one huge drawback for synching with Toodledo basic and pro account users. More details of my posts here - http://www.pocketinformant.com/Forums/index.php?showtopic=14127 - and I have given a solution for this anomoly, its under discussion and hopefully we sort it out using their Toodledo Sync setting tweaks. Hopefully!

Affly Aamy :-)
Anders

Posted: May 23, 2009
@Affly Aamy,
Two things I would suggest:

-Post the updated version (and new link) for your scheme.

-Start a new thread for it since it is about Pocket informant and not Todo, and put it in this (Third Party Apps) forum.
gotkd21

Posted: May 28, 2009
I use Todo and Toodledo and like the integration. For my use, tags work well for Todo's organization on the iPhone, however, Toodledo's support for tags is not quite as good.

I'd love the ability to search by a group of tags, or just one tag, and have all of the relevant todo's show up. The only thing Toodledo can currently do is sort by the identical collection of multiple tags.

Also, I'd love tags to autocomplete when I'm entering tasks directly into the website.
Anders

Posted: May 29, 2009
Posted by gotkd21:
I'd love the ability to search by a group of tags, or just one tag, and have all of the relevant todo's show up. The only thing Toodledo can currently do is sort by the identical collection of multiple tags.

I'm not sure I understand what you're looking for here, but have you tried Toodledo's advanced search feature? https://www.toodledo.com/views/search.php
You can search for groups of tags using AND or OR, and you can pretty much set up any sort of search. You can even save the searches if you want to use them regularly.
More info here: https://www.toodledo.com/info/search.php

Also, to see a list of Tasks by Tag, you can just use the "View By" -> "Tag" view and select your Tag of choice.
luke

Posted: Jun 05, 2009
What would be everyone's opinion for the best Android Toodledo integration? I know of "TooDo". It seems a bit buggy and cumbersome, if not too heavy of an app.
Anders

Posted: Jun 05, 2009
I'm pretty sure that's the only option for a native Toodledo app on Android. So it's that or the slim or HTML only sites on your browser.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.