ForumsThird-Party ApplicationsBasic needs not addressed in any apps

Basic needs not addressed in any apps
MareMare

Posted: Feb 13, 2015
Score: 1 Reference
It's profoundly frustrating that there are so many iOS task apps out there and yet not a one seems to meet some obvious basic needs. Here's what I want.

A visually simple LIST view of (in this order)
- today's calendar events
- today's reminders (usually entered via SIRI)
- today's task list

I also want to be able to control sorting (using context when I'm not filtering, duration, and prio) and filtering (usually context) of today's task list and have multitask editing.

The ToodleDo website is comprehensive and flexible, but every one of the apps including ToodleDo's iOS app has major limitations or--if it comes close--it does something undesirable. Some apps are just too cluttered. Some copy all the tasks into Reminders and/or into the calendar making a mess. Some bring in reminders and then delete them such that you have to have dictated the complex string to preserve important alarms. I even tried to use the pull down iOS widgets screen, but that doesn't work because the ToodleDo widget will only display the hotlist and only part of it. The hotlist is maddeningly limited. (In the future, remembering to call someone on his birthday will be top priority, but I don't need to see it in today's hotlist.)

Have I missed an app?
Salgud

Posted: Feb 13, 2015
Score: 2 Reference
This is the reason there are so many task managers out there - everyone who's used them a while has his own concept of what one should ideally do, like you and me. Those that have the time and resources go out and create one. Problem is, there are only a few who want that same ideal task manager, and most of them can't find the one they're looking for amongst the plethora out there.

A couple of years ago, when TD virtually stopped development of the task management features in lieu of Lists, Outlines and Habits, I started looking in earnest for one similar to TD, but under active development. I created a spreadsheet and started with a list of the desirable features of TD, and actively sought out task managers to consider and compare. Frankly, I gave up after a few months. It was tough enough finding any that compared favorably with TD, much less exceeded it. Since I am nearing retirement, and soon won't need an advanced task manager anymore, I've decided to just stick with TD as is, realizing it will remain as is, in terms of task management features, and live with it for a couple of more years. It would take that long to get up to speed with a new one anyway.

Since you probably aren't retiring anytime soon, good luck in your quest!
Ummagumma

Posted: Apr 22, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
Pocket Informant does much of what you are looking for. It has a "Focus" view that can be programmed to only show (below calendar meetings) tasks that are due today, tasks that start today, and starred tasks. Or any combination of these.

Unfortunately, I am still on an ancient iPhone 4S and PI takes a few extra seconds to start. So I went with PlanBe that is considerably faster. It does not unfortunately allow filtering or starred tasks. My way around it was to use Priority (which I rarely use anyway) to bring the tasks that I plan on working on next to the top of the list.

If you tried both apps and neither worked for you, I'm afraid that's it.

I strongly agree, though, that all timed events - meetings, appointments, tasks with date assigned - belong in one Calendar view, and there should be a simple way to focus on Today's events. Unfortunately most calendar software makers don't seem to grasp this very basic concept.
coolexplorer

Posted by e20.09g:
I strongly agree, though, that all timed events - meetings, appointments, tasks with date assigned - belong in one Calendar view, and there should be a simple way to focus on Today's events. Unfortunately most calendar software makers don't seem to grasp this very basic concept.

I would love to have my ToDo app have two way sync with Google Calendar or have its Own calendar which can show day, week and month views of the dated tasks. I believe TD had a view at a glance calendar of tasks before it changed its format to monthly "dots" and an agenda view.
Salgud

I haven't tried PI, because I've heard mixed reviews, some concerning stability. I've been using software since it was invented, and if there's a problem I avoid at all costs, it's instability. If you've had good luck with it, other than speed, maybe I should give it a more serious look. Haven't tried PlanB either, so maybe there's something there.

It's unfortunate that no one I know of has completely integrated tasks, appointments, notes and contacts into one app. Not since my Palm days have I had such an app. It seems like a no-brainer, but certainly haven't found it. At one point, a few years ago, I hoped maybe TD would go this route, but they've gone in an entirely different direction now.
coolexplorer

Posted: Apr 23, 2015
Posted by Salgud:

It's unfortunate that no one I know of has completely integrated tasks, appointments, notes and contacts into one app. Not since my Palm days have I had such an app. It seems like a no-brainer, but certainly haven't found it. At one point, a few years ago, I hoped maybe TD would go this route, but they've gone in an entirely different direction now.

Agree. That is how humans work/multitask seemlessly. Android App "24me: To-Do,Task" claims to follow this route. Haven't yet tried it out though. It is probably new and not fully developed to meet that aspiration in real time.
I agree that sadly TD is going the compartmentalized way.
Ummagumma

Posted: Jun 11, 2015
PI does have notes, contacts, todos and calendar events integrated into one app.

I personally did not have any stability issues with it. I've been using PI since my Pocket PC days. Every time I get a different OS device I try something else and end up buying yet another PI incarnation.

PI for iOS is very good, probably the best PI version. It syncs with Reminders, it syncs with Toodledo, it syncs with Google tasks, it syncs with Evernote. I use it on my iPad Mini Retina without any issues. It was a bit slow on iPhone 4s. However, a couple weeks ago I upgraded to an Android phone (Galaxy S5) and yet again, after trying a number of different calendars, ended up spending money on PI. My problem with PI for Android is the interface design, it looks rather dated, compared to the iOS version. But functionality can't be beat. Most of the other calendars out there either don't have a concept of tasks at all (in our day and age, a total idiocy) or they only sync with Google Tasks - a very basic and boring task manager.

And thanks to PI I can now use Toodledo to replace Simplenote for quick text notes. The Toodledo app isn't that good for it because there's a few extra steps involved before you can start typing (it opens in Tasks, then I have to tap Notes, tap new note, add title, only then I can start typing the text). After I set PI to sync notes with Toodledo, all I have to do is select a "new note" from PI widget, and start typing away. I think it works the same way in iOS (don't have my iPad near me at the moment).
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.