ForumsThird-Party ApplicationsAnnouncing: Listmaker for the iPhone and iPhone Touch

Announcing: Listmaker for the iPhone and iPhone Touch
c.e.perry

Posted: Sep 08, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I'm happy to announce Listmaker, a new iPhone app that synchronizes with Toodledo. Listmaker is a minimalist list making app that synchronizes its lists to Toodledo for online access. Although Listmaker can be used as a simple to do list, it is not meant to be a replacement task manager for all you power users out there. Instead, Listmaker is meant to be a complement to your regular system, tracking all those things that aren't actionable. For instance, you can use Listmaker to create a grocery list, gift list, travel checklist, or a list of books to read -- whatever lists you'd usually jot down on a sticky note. And since it synchronizes with Toodledo, you can access your lists online and share them with others.

I can hear you now, "Why does the iPhone need yet another list app?" Here's why: There are few list apps for the iPhone that combine simplicity with the ability to synchronize data to an online web service. The most popular one is Zenbe Lists, and although it does it's job well, it has some limitations: it offers too limited a selection of data fields, it has limited sorting options, and the online service is a closed ecosystem without the ability to import or export your data.

Listmaker solves these problems. It maintains a certain minimalism that keeps clutter out of the way, but it still offers the features that you need. In Listmaker you can individually sort lists alphabetically, by due date, or manually, and since it syncs to Toodledo, you can take advantage of its great features that allow you to import, export, and share your data. Listmaker also offers a few more data fields that I consider essential, namely a notes field and the ability to create a hierarchy of sub-lists. In short, Listmaker does its best to stay out of your way while offering all the options you need to make sense of your data.

Listmaker isn't yet available in the App Store, but it will be available for $2.99 when it is approved by Apple. A free version called Listmaker Lite (limited to 15 list items) will also be availalble so you can try before you buy. In the meantime, you can get more information about Listmaker and see screenshots at its website: http://software.dazeend.org
c.e.perry

Posted: Sep 18, 2009
Listmaker is now available for sale in the app store! If you have any questions, feel free to post in the Daze End forums at http://software.dazeend.org

Here's a quick list of the features:

Listmaker Features
------------------
- Synchronizes over the air with Toodledo. (A second account is recommended so that your list items can be kept separately from your usual to-do's.)

- Minimalist. List items hold a title, due date, and a field for notes -- that's it. All the clutter has been eliminated making it quick to reference the information you need.

- Share entire lists or individual list items by emailing it to another person from within Listmaker.

- Supports sub-lists, and there is no limit on how many levels of sub-lists can be used.

- Landscape mode keyboard available. Or lock Listmaker into portrait mode for more convenient one handed use.

- Individually sort each list alphabetically, by due date, or manually.

- Highlights overdue tasks and lists with eye-catching red labels.
c.e.perry

Posted: Sep 18, 2009
Incidently, if you're on Twitter, I'm going to be tweeting some promo codes later today for free copies of Listmaker. Follow me to be notified: @DazeEnd

In the meantime, here are three promo codes just because I know you all appreciate the great tool that the Toodledo developers have given us.

3H7TPM3LJPJR
WAHTHJTRL7KA
H3H36XH9KFTR

These codes can be redeemed in iTunes like a giftcard. (Good only in the US App Store.)
timothyrandolph

Posted: Sep 19, 2009
I took advantage of the 3rd promo code (thanks!) and had a couple of comments.

Why don't you sync with Toodledo's notebook? For the use cases you describe, the notebook seems like a better place to keep that data, and the Toodledo iPhone app doesn't sync with that now.

It would be nice if some there was a config option to exclude some folders. Again for the listmaking type context, I don't want all my todos dragged over.

I know that you suggest having a second Toodledo account, but that really does seem like more trouble than it is worth. I would something like what you had that synched with my regular toodledo account and complimented their iPhone app.
c.e.perry

Posted: Sep 19, 2009
Listmaker doesn't sync with the notebook because the notebook doesn't support due date, which I considered an essential feature of the tool I wanted to create. Enjoy the free app!
c.e.perry

Posted: Dec 03, 2009
Version 1.2.0 of Listmaker is now available in the iPhone App Store. Version 1.2.0 adds some new features and fixes some bugs. These changes are included in version 1.2.0:

- Added search to all lists. Just scroll to the top of the list to search.

- Changed task detail display so that when you tap a list item's note, it takes you to a screen that parses the note for web addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers and displays them as hyperlinks. When those hyperlinks are tapped, Safari, Mail, or the Phone are opened, as appropriate.

- Listmaker can now turn the contents of your clipboard (or "pasteboard") into list items. Just copy text that contains the list items (perhaps from an email you received), click on the lightning bolt to open the Quick List screen, dismiss the keyboard, and use the button in the toolbar. This feature will turn each line of text in your pasteboard into a separate list item.

- Improved the user interface.

- Fixed a bug that offset due dates when leaving Daylight Savings time.

- Fixed some other minor user interface bugs.
c.e.perry

Posted: May 04, 2010
I'm happy to announce that a new version of Listmaker is now available on the App Store. Version 1.3.0 is a major release that improves synchronization with Toodledo, adds new features, and updates the visual look of Listmaker.

Here's a quick run down of what's new:

- Now requires iPhone OS version 3.1 or later
- Localized into English, Spanish, German, French, and Japanese
- Most cells now have dynamic height so that entire text can be displayed without being cut off
- Added toolbar button that completes or uncompletes entire lists
- Now warns users when items are "due soon"
- Updated artwork
- More robust Toodledo synchronization
- Better error reporting during Toodledo synchronization

And here's a few promo codes you can use to download a free copy of Listmaker from iTunes:

M9AWFNRKRWMP
EALNWWPFYM9N
YT7LTKNN9397
4RP6MF64WWAA

For more info about Listmaker, visit its webpage at http://software.dazeend.org/listmaker. Or download it directly from the App Store.

This message was edited May 04, 2010.
Dave

Posted: May 05, 2010
thanks for the free copy!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.