ForumsThird-Party ApplicationsToodledo Android App (in development)

Toodledo Android App (in development)
maldworth

Posted: Nov 21, 2009
Score: 2 Reference
I'll get straight to the point. If any of you have hung around the developers forums recently, you'd notice I've asked quite a few questions about the toodledo api. This is because I'm about 90% done my android compatible Java api for Toodledo. Now that I'm in the home stretch, I started to design the dashboard for the android app (as it will be the more difficult layout). I took a similar style to the iPhone/iPod toodledo app, to give users that similar experience (as toodledo developers have done a great job with the iphone version).

Don't expect any application to come out within the next month, it takes time, and I can only do so much. So I'm not committing to any release date, but I'll try to post updates here as they are appropriate. When the time comes, I'll probably be looking for alpha/beta testers (just a few).

The final version will cost a couple bucks in the android marketplace, but I'm a firm believer that if I manage to produce a quality application, that people wouldn't mind giving a one time cost of a few bucks.

Anyways, here's a sneak peek, or eye candy if you will (screenshot from the android emulator). Please note that the graphics aren't 100% finalized. The first three icons in the top box are from a different set than the bottom three (I use these different sets because they are both completely free for commercial use). Unfortunately they have a slightly different appearance. I prefer the top three, but I am no graphic artist. If there is a community member who is willing to try and replicate the look of the Top three, and make more, I'm willing to Consider using them (no guarantees). I'd give an honorable mention/credit if they were used of course.

I'd like some initial feedback on the design, and perhaps ideas.

Note: the top is blurred because I haven't finalized a name.

*Edit* to fix the image link

This message was edited Nov 21, 2009.
Vin Thomas

Posted: Nov 21, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
LOVE LOVE LOVE the look of the design so far. I would love to test the app when you're ready to start that phase. Thanks so much for doing this!
AnneryKiln

Posted: Nov 22, 2009
Looks great...do you want my bucks/pounds now?
lstroyan

Posted: Nov 23, 2009
I would also love to be a beta tester. I have a Moto Droid running 2.0 and a very complicated setup so I tend to find lots of issues :)

I'm happy to pay a few bucks. This is one of my biggest issues on the Droid. (I don't suppose you want to do a native Outlook sync next? :) There is one coming out in several months but it's $40 which is a bit steep).

For some reason I can't see the picture you posted and I have no experience with iPhone. However the features that would be important to me are:

- deletes tasks that are deleted in Toodledo
- SORT alphabetically or by other fields (start date, due date)
- handles undated tasks as if they are current tasks even when sorted by date
- group by context, or folder, or show all tasks
- ability to hide completed tasks from view
- option to delete completed tasks would be nice

Other things that would be nice that I tend to run into:
- Should be possible to complete task without going into edit screen
- Must handle orientation changes quickly and smoothly
- Ideal to support notifications on tasks (does Toodledo support this? not sure) with options for ringtone (including silent), and vibrate
- would like synchronization interval as a setting
- A setting to remove all tasks and reset to what the Toodledo website currently has without deleting user information
maldworth

Posted: Nov 28, 2009
Hello again. I'd like to thank you for suggestions.

@lstroyan

- I do plan to have it delete tasks that are deleted in Toodledo (a sync functionality)
- Yes, there will be a "sort By" option, and suggestions for types of sorting are always welcome
- handling a task with "no due date" even if sort by date. I'm pretty sure that will be handled, but the question is, where should these tasks lie? At the most future task, or most past task?
- Hide completed tasks from the view, I never thought about this, but sure, I can make that a setting. Or would you want it a more easily accessible "flick of the switch"?
- Delete completed tasks. I'll be sure to add that option.

- Yes, completing task without going into edit screen can easily be done. Also Starring, and Deleting a task can be done without going into the edit screen as well.
- Haven't done any orientation checking, however I've been making the view using layout_weights, and so it should resize opon switching orientations nicely.
- Notifications of tasks. This is a touchy area, which I will probably introduce Locally at least. What I mean is, there will be a service running in the background checking for any due tasks periodically. However if you want it to "Synchronize" with Toodledo automatically, I can build that in, but it synchronized through Polling, and people always complain about battery life loss due to polling services. So I'll definitely make a Manual sync to start with, and probably include an optional Automatic sync (which polls Toodledo once every 15 minutes, or 30 minutes), as Toodledo also doesn't like excessive calls on their api.
- Yes, in the Settings menu there will be a "Delete All, reset Toodledo sync" and all that jazz.

Now here's a few more sneak peek pictures.

Home Screen (with menu button pressed):

New Task:

Task List:

Edit Task:

Task List (with menu pressed):

Task List (with long click performed on a task [aka. context menu]):

Now, If anybody wants to help with layout ideas, graphics, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

*edit* fixed pictures to now show properly

This message was edited Nov 28, 2009.
Craig Stacey

Posted: Nov 28, 2009
This looks fantastic. I'm an iPhone user who's about to switch to Android, and this is a topic that's been worrying me. The iPhone app is quite nice, and this looks to be its equal, if not better.

I'll happily beta test when you're ready for that, and happily pay when the time comes.

Thanks for working on this!
josh.dingus

Posted: Nov 30, 2009
I would happily be a beta tester as well, biggest void droid has right now is a solid list / task manager. I'm a GTD user as well.

josh_dot_dingus_at_gmail.com
nelaptop

Posted: Dec 02, 2009
i have a HTC android and would like to be a beta tester. I am not an overly sophisticated user. This app would make my life with andriod complete.
Qrystal

Posted: Dec 02, 2009
This is so exciting! I only hope Canada gets access to paid android apps before you make it available, so I can get it as soon as you're ready to release it! (Or if I could be a beta tester, I could give you really detailed feedback and analysis on any bugs I find, and maybe that could be how I pay you for it?)

I love the design so far. I totally agree about the graphics: those round ones are sweet! Here's hoping you find someone to make more! I also really, really love the dark colour scheme a lot--especially the pinstripes! classy!

However, the low contrast makes it difficult to read the text that isn't much lighter than the background (esp the stuff near the stars in the task lists). I like low-contrast in general, myself, but this is a little too much. Others may find it difficult to read even the due dates though, so you might want to have an option for people to adjust this. Maybe a contrast slider in the settings, so you can keep everything greyscale while leaving the degree of darkness to the user. Maybe (if you do make the greys adjustable) you could also have an option for inverting the greys, for those people who prefer dark text on light background.

The only other things that appear to be missing are the note field, and a way to view by context (essential for those GTDers, of which I am not). Other than that, it totally looks like a polished and ready app! I understand you will want to test it madly though, of course, and finish whatever other tweaks you have outlined for yourself.

One thing I'd really love to see is a few choices of widgets to use on home screens. This sort of thing is obviously not as crucial as having the app working well in the first place, though since I know you have a good task manager, I'll give you my brainstorm now:

- a small (1x1) widget option that changes colour depending on whether there is anything overdue, due soon, or nothing to worry about. Something subtle though, so it isn't guilt-inducing when living in a state of perpetual overdueness like I am... ;) Maybe just a checkmark that changes colour?

- a medium (1x4) widget wide enough to show the brief details of one task, but (I think this is possible) can be scrolled up and down to see other tasks. The list it uses would have to be customizable (hotlist? starred list? all tasks, sorted by due date?) But here's the thing that made me think it would be really cool: let it remember which task is visible, so that it can be used to remind oneself of the current task, and check it off quickly and easily once it's done.

- a fullscreen (4x4) widget that does much the same as the 1x4, but showing more tasks at once. This is to get a quick glance at the things currently on one's plate.

All that said, I really can't wait for you to have the main functionality ready for testing or ready to get out there! The widget idea is just in addition to the already-fantastic thing you're doing! Best of luck with it!

This message was edited Dec 02, 2009.
Mike

Posted: Dec 04, 2009
Please allow me to be a beta tester. I converted from Palm. I used Datebk6 (From Pimlico) for 2 years and loved it. I really see the types of functionality in toodledo that I had 2 months ago and miss.

I have a droid with nothing exotic on it and I am a regular user of calendar / todo functions to organize my day.

Mike

This message was edited Dec 04, 2009.
danshollands

Posted: Dec 11, 2009
This app sounds great. Any idea when it will be ready?

Dan
maldworth

Posted: Dec 12, 2009
Thanks for all the positive feedback.

@Qrystal, don't worry, I'm actually from Canada, so we'll work something out so you can get the app :). I also took your advice and made the priority a lighter text color, as I agree, it was dark. Widgets are a good idea, but that's more "extra features" that I can look at once I get a functioning and stable product out.

@danshollands, I don't want to set a date, just because I can't commit to anything. But I'll leave posts here every week or two just to give everybody updates (so you know that I'm at least still working on it)

Just to give an update, I've been working on it (of course), but it's been predominantly backend stuff (creating the SQLite tables on android, establishing the activity lifecycles and ListView with cursors). Also I'm getting acquainted with AsyncQueryHandler. This allows me to perform the database queries in the background thread (so I don't freeze the UI thread). This gives the users a much more responsive feel when long queries may be performed on the DB.

I also finished up my Java API for Toodledo, so it's a matter of finishing the App, and then plugging the actions into my API.

Until next time!

This message was edited Dec 12, 2009.
paulbaeppler

Posted: Dec 13, 2009
Very cool stuff. Please let me know when this is available, too. I'd be willing to pay just to be a beta tester.

Thanks,
nao.nozawa

Posted: Dec 14, 2009
Wow, this looks very promising. Please keep us posted! I'd definitely be willing to pay a couple of bucks for this.
tmalanga

Posted: Dec 16, 2009
I would definitely purchase this application. There are no true functional Toodledo applications for the Droid. I had to move to RTM to get what I needed.
briarpatch.jim

Posted: Dec 17, 2009
I think location awareness is a nice feature as well. I have used this in other apps. I set up work and home as locations and my tasks for those locations show up based on which one I'm at. Another good feature is to be able to access the contact list of the phone, so users can add a contact to the task and make e-mailing or calling a one-click operation.
timsy321

Posted: Dec 26, 2009
I would also really appreciate it if you would also let me test this out for you. I have tried a few other apps and they just aren't what I was hoping to get for a task client on the Droid. I would love to help give feedback on your new app you are developing.Thanks!

This message was edited Dec 26, 2009.
ttorimoto

Posted: Dec 26, 2009
please add me to your list of potential beta testers. I've currently got 700+ items on my todo list in ToodleDo... just moved over from my Palm Treo 680.. and have been struggling to find a decently implemented, QUICK GTD app client on Android that also syncs with ToodleDo. Thanks!
maldworth

Posted: Dec 28, 2009
Just wanted to post a little update here.
I'm coming VERY close to having an alpha version ready for testing. I have 4 spaces available for testing.

The first alpha version will not synchronize with Toodledo website, but rather focus on the program functionality (performance, features, design, etc...), as it will be much easier for myself to implement these features. Once feature I've been contemplating is utilizing the android widget's api, and making an optional widget which will just show the 5 most recent tasks (based on user settings).

Plugging into Toodledo synchronization once all of the above is complete, should be fairly straightforward.

Could potential testers please e-mail me at:
m [at] maldworth.com

with just a little description of why you would be a good tester. A paragraph (100-200words) is plenty. I'll of course open up the testing to more people at a later time, but for now 4 is sufficient.
thorsten

Posted: Dec 30, 2009
Hi,

german user here that *really* likes the design an likes to be alpha/beta/whatsoever-tester ... ;) Switched with ca. 250 Tasks from Toodledo/iPhone to android (very disappointing Software for GTD/Toodledo on the market).

Motorola Milestone/Droid is in use.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.