ForumsThird-Party ApplicationsIntegration with Evernote

Integration with Evernote
Juan Hidalgo

Posted: Mar 20, 2010
Score: 2 Reference
Hi Guys,

I've just read an interesting announcement about integration between Nozbe and Evernote (http://blog.evernote.com/2010/03/19/getting-things-done-with-evernote-nozbe-integration/). It seems usefull using Evernote as a Project Repository. Do you have some intention to do something like that at Toodledo?

Best Regards,
Juan
oldaccount

Posted: Mar 22, 2010
Score: 2 Reference
please do, this would be amazing!
c.barber78

Posted: Mar 23, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
Posted by deakin:
please do, this would be amazing!

Thirded * 1 million!
I saw that video yesterday and I was amazed.
jackperdue

Posted: Mar 23, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Yes, love Evernote and seriously looking at Toodledo paid subscription services.
lucac81

Posted: Mar 25, 2010
Interesting, but to me seems a little limited, since i seldom use notes on toodledo tasks, but a way to use evernote notes probably would be useful
Levi Wallach

Posted: Mar 25, 2010
I would love this too, although the type of integration that Nozbe has I'm not sure is the ideal solution.

The other problem I see with this is that by doing this, Toodledo removes (at least for some) the need for the premium plus account with a larger storage option for files. I don't have a premium plus account yet (planning on upgrading from premium once I get my tax return just to support Toodledo) because I've used Evernote dropbox (and now looking at ZumoDrive) for cloud file storage, but I'm thinking for new users, or those who don't use Evernote (or another such service) Toodledo would be giving up at least some potential revenue and so would need to work out the best solution.

I'm just wondering how a solution could be worked out that would work for everyone. Maybe for Premium Plus accounts you would get a choice of Toodledo's storage, or one of the external cloud services, and a small piece of that additional fee could go towards a discount of a premium account for one of these cloud services (with an additional amount contributed by the third party? Just brain-storming, but it is an interesting dilemma...
Ingo

Posted: Mar 28, 2010
This would most definitely be a *great* addition to Toodledo.

I am a heavy Evernote user and would be willing to pay for this type of integration.
SRhyse

Posted: Mar 28, 2010
I love Evernote and would love integration as well, so long as it wasn't as cumbersome as Nozbe's seems to be from the video I saw.

Having to go through and tag/name things on both the Nozbe and Evernote end to get them to link together seems more cumbersome than just opening Evernote at that point, or putting a web link to specific notes in the existing notes feature. It'd be nice if any Toodledo to Evernote integration allowed for direct linking of tasks and notes in a one-to-one way, or potentially one task/note to many tasks/notes, but direct none the less.
scott

Posted: May 11, 2010
I would subscribe if it integrated with Evernote, absolutely.
Lance

Posted: May 17, 2010
Lets just say, for the sake of argument, that Toodledo did integrate with Evernote. How would one go about using this from a GTD perspective? I have both and mainly use Evernote as a repository for the "Good Idea Fairy" or Someday/Maybe. Not sure how I would integrate both.
Levi Wallach

Posted: May 17, 2010
Posted by Lance:
Lets just say, for the sake of argument, that Toodledo did integrate with Evernote. How would one go about using this from a GTD perspective? I have both and mainly use Evernote as a repository for the "Good Idea Fairy" or Someday/Maybe. Not sure how I would integrate both.

I think you just use Evernote in place of the Toodledo Note feature or attachments feature - a way to reference important information but also keep that info in Evernote. If you basically use Evernote for information storage, the need for additional storage is redundant. Unfortunately Evernote has only the most basic task-management facility - the checkbox - so you can't really manage tasks in it (although some people do by combining tags, etc., but to me it's much more work than it's worth!).
saskia.x

Posted: May 18, 2010
I keep a lot of task/project "support material" in Evernote, kind of like a virtual filing cabinet. I currently add a pretend "link" into the notes field (e.g. "EN[note link]") which I copy into the search field in Evernote to take me to the relevant notes for that task. If I only have one specific note which I want to refer to then I use the note title (or part of the note title) as the "link text", but sometimes I'll use a tag name, or a search term that will bring up a selection of relevant notes. Once Evernote bring in proper note links this will all be a lot easier, but I'd love to see tighter integration between Evernote & Toodledo so that I don't have to keep switching between the two for this to work.

It would also be good if it were easier to create tasks from Evernote notes. Currently I do this by emailing a note from Evernote, copying the note title into the body as a "pretend link" and using the Toodledo email syntax in the note title. This isn't an ideal way of doing it, but it serves my purposes if I've got evernote open but not Toodledo (if I've got both open it's usually just easier to manually copy the note title into a new task in Toodle).

Another way I use them both together is to email tasks from Toodle into EN, which is useful if the task contains info that I may want to be able to search in EN (e.g. notes that I may want for future reference, or tasks relating to projects I expect to search for in EN and will want a link back to the relevant task).

Any way to make any or all of these processes easier would be great! I think the Nozbe implementation is an interesting way of integrating tasks & Evernote, and would probably be a good place to start for inspiration (although there's no reason the Toodledo implementation would need to be the same).

I think Toodledo could probably get away with charging a little bit for this service, since, as someone else pointed out above, there is a potential for this to conflict with their "ProPlus" subscription. Alternatively this could be made available only to Pro users as it would probably convert some free users to paying subscribers since Evernote is a very popular service.
Levi Wallach

Posted: May 18, 2010
saskia, thanks I hadn't even considered just providing a link, but can you or can't you do a link to an individual note? I guess I'll have to try it out.

In any case, I agree with your last comment about including whatever functionality into ProPlus. The way I see it, I wonder if certainly adding a new field - url - to the set of Toodledo fields? This would allow some functionality from the list views with just a link icon vs text. It wouldn't offer multiple link ability, but it would be a good start - multiple links would need a bit more work but certainly could be done easily enough. They could even change the icon based on the site it was linking (so if it was an image site one type of link would show up, google docs would be another, etc. As much as I love evernote, not everyone uses it and so if I can link to someone else's document, wherever that is, be it Evernote, Google Docs, Dropbox, etc., that would be nice. You can certain do all this in the notes field, but having dedicated link fields (or field) would make things more efficient and easier to view from list views...
saskia.x

Posted: May 19, 2010
Posted by Levi Wallach:
can you or can't you do a link to an individual note?

You can't do a link to an individual note in Evernote just yet, but I know it is a feature that has been requested repeatedly and that Evernote have said it is in development.

My "links" don't actually do anything, they are just fake wiki-style links. I find the square brackets are a useful way to denote a "link" visually and consistently. You need to copy & paste the text between the brackets into EN's search field, although I've written a little AutoHotkey script so that I can select text and press a combination of keys to have it sent to Evernote. Unfortunately this was written for EN 3.1 and I haven't had time to update it for the new version yet. I'm hoping that Evernote hurry up and implement note links so I don't need to bother!

Toodledo are one step ahead on this and do have links to individual tasks, so I do use task links sometimes in Evernote when I want to refer back to something in Toodledo.
plockerman

Posted: May 31, 2010
Score: -1 Reference
GTD agenda, which I was using before I started using Toodledo now has Evernote integration. I am going back to that because the Evernote factor is heavily used and is a integral part of my system of getting things done AND following up on them.
ralph.kurz

Posted: Sep 05, 2010
Hey guys,

I just wrote a Greasemonkey Script to connect Toodledo with Evernote, Google Docs, Google Mail and Office Live.

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/85443
bluesgeek

Posted: Dec 30, 2010
I don't see much value in linking individual notes from Evernote, as is done in Nozbe (and as I believe the API is really focusing developer hooks).

I want Toodledo ~in~ my Evernote. I want Evernote in my Toodledo. This means that the organizational structures in both apps can be easily mirrored.

When I create project in Toodledo, I want a notebook by that name in Evernote.

When I create a tag in Evernote, I want that tag in Toodldo.

One of the issues is that Evernote has robust tagging (nested tags, and a good interface for quickly adding them.

At the very least I want a way to import/export tags to get rid of the double-entry I'm going through now. (Actually, it's triple-entry of tags and projects because I'm mirroring my email organization too with MailTags (Mac).

This message was edited Dec 30, 2010.
huwevans projecthelm.com

Posted: Jan 03, 2011
I'm a long time user of both Evernote & Toodledo, and I've always thought I wanted integration. But then I started thinking some more, and I was not clear in my own mind what level of integration I wanted and what it would actually deliver to me.

I don't need to repeat my tasks in Evernote, as I can see them in Toodledo. Likewise, I don't need to repeat my notes in Toodledo. If I have notes pertaining to an individual task, I attach those notes to that task.

After a fair bit of thinking, here's the only integration I'd like, an option to email a list of completed todo's to Evernote on a daily or weekly basis. This sounds to me something I should be able to do with a report of some kind - does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks - Huw
Salgud

Posted: Jan 04, 2011
If I recall correctly (and occasionally I do), they both store their data in XML format, which should make it possible, if not easy, to move data back and forth. But I wouldn't have a clue as to how to do so. Some of the smart people here would know.

I have asked a few times for an example of when it would be useful to integrate the two, as I can't think of why I would want this. I have hundreds of notes in EN, and all my tasks in TD, which has it's own notes field for each task, so why would I store notes from a task in EN? And what from EN would I want in TD? I'm not opposed to it, just don't see the use for it and am surprised that so many ask for it, yet no one can give a single example of how it would be useful.

This message was edited Jan 04, 2011.
Purveyor

Posted: Jan 04, 2011
Posted by Salgud:
I am surprised that you are surprised. ;)

Actually, I tend to agree with you. I think that it would get clumsy to have data in two places and maintain the connection between the two.

Toodledo is a great online task manager, with primitive note-taking abilities. Evernote is a great note-taking application, with primitive task management. In theory, it makes sense to integrate the two.

But, if you want powerful task management with enhanced note taking, I think that it would be better if Toodledo had rich-text formatting and the ability to copy and paste images in Notes and the Notebook.

For now, you can copy and paste links in Toodledo notes to access Evernote folders and notes online.

This message was edited Jan 04, 2011.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.