ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by ben"
ben

Score: 0
  • ben
  • Posted: Apr 12, 2012
  • Score: 0
I use (in the spirit of Proximo's layout of ToodleDo) contexts to manage personal vs work vs ... It would be most useful if Folders could have the option of being filtered from view by the context(s) selected. A simple Check Box "Filter by Context" for each folder to be managed by context in the "Manage Folders" screen perhaps?

This is especially beneficial if one were to create a folder for each project and desired to filter the view to a manageable size list based on the context of interest.

Thanks for your consideration.
-Ben
ben

Posted Apr 11, 2012 in: TaskUnifier: Multiplatform
Score: 1
  • ben
  • Posted: Apr 11, 2012
  • Score: 1
Posted by Benjamin Leclerc:
Example
java -jar tucl.jar "My task for tomorrow < tt @Inbox"

Hi Benjamin,

I found what appears to be a bug. In the example above the task ends up in my "Projects" folder and not in the Inbox folder. However, if I remove the < tt then it ends up in the correct folder, Inbox.

Thanks,
-Ben

This message was edited Apr 11, 2012.
ben

• ben
  • Posted: Apr 10, 2012
Posted by PeterW:
And in fact I've just made a significant change. Until now my system has been based closely on the 'Proximo' design, i.e. folders for next actions, projects, someday & waiting for. The projects folder contains parent tasks for each project and subtasks for each project's actions.

But after reading David Allen's recent Productive Living newsletter about project lists http://www.davidco.com/newsletters/archive/0412.html it got me thinking. I don't spend much time in the projects folder itself but prefer to work out of the Hotlist. While this helped me crunch through next actions including project next actions, it didn't keep my list of projects visible. I'd see them in the weekly review but in the daily grind they haven't had enough focus.

So the change I have made is this: I still use folders for Next Actions (i.e. single tasks), Someday and Waiting-for but instead of one Projects folder, I now have a folder for each project. To keep them together on the screen I've prefixed them with "Prj:" and am using the same colour. So in the main interface I can now see all of my projects (i.e. my main commitments) and hopefully this will help me progress them forward more regularly and purposefully.

Peter thanks for sharing this! I've gone back and re-read that newsletter, now you have me thinking about visibility...

-Ben
ben

• ben
  • Posted: Apr 09, 2012
Posted by russbuchmann:
After searching the forums I have decided to get direct feedback...

How to handle Projects and subtasks the GTD way (or close to it).

So I am new to Toodledo (and love it) and somewhat new to GTD as well, but I understand most of the basics.

Have you read David Allen's "Getting Things Done" book, if not highly recommend that as a early step in your journey? As a follow on, "Making It All Work" helps fill in more blanks.

I guess for this to be efficient, I should give you a rough layout of how I have Toodledo setup (similar to Proximo's setup, etc)

I am also basically using Proximo's structural layout in ToodleDo. I place projects and their associated sub-tasks in the projects folder, leaving the sub-tasks in place under the project when I act on them as next actions. Single task items (things that are not projects) go into the actions folder. I am most interested in as little overhead as possible thus I do not move next action items that are projects to the actions folder. Along the least resistance minimal overhead lines I also do not currently use the status field, for me its just too much non value add busy work and I found myself resisting using my trusted system.

One way to think about staring items is that this is the flag to identify your next actions, where ever they are. You then create a filter in ToodleDo and/or your favorite desktop and/or smartphone application to present you with a list of what you have identified as your next actions.

On occasion I will review (self asses) how I am feeling about / interacting with my trusted system seeking the path of least resistance and making adjustments if I find resistance building up. I am actually in a review cycle right now and am starting to make some adjustments to how I process.

Hope this helps...
-Ben
ben

Posted Apr 07, 2012 in: TaskUnifier: Multiplatform
Score: -1
  • ben
  • Posted: Apr 07, 2012
  • Score: -1
Hi Benjamin,

You rock, thanks for such a fast response, this is perfect!

For those who might try to run this, java.exe was not in my environment path, if the command line does not run as in the example above you will either have to add the path to java.exe to the environment variable path or explicitly reference the path where Java.exe is located.

Was not aware of the quick task entry capability in the application. Really going to have to sit down and read the help file all the way through... :-)

Thanks much!!!
-Ben

This message was edited Apr 07, 2012.
ben

Posted Apr 06, 2012 in: TaskUnifier: Multiplatform
  • ben
  • Posted: Apr 06, 2012
Okay, I discovered "Task Searcher" which accomplishes filtration functionality and addresses item 1.

1 down... :-)

This message was edited Apr 06, 2012.
ben

Posted Apr 06, 2012 in: TaskUnifier: Multiplatform
  • ben
  • Posted: Apr 06, 2012
Hi Benjamin,

Been using Task Unifier along with the purchased ToodleDo Sync, works great, thanks for a great application!

In my setup I use a variant of the methodology/layout originally created by Proximo, it best fits how I need to segment my world. With that in mind...

A couple of suggestions / requests:

1) The ability to apply filters to the view. Thus, if I am looking at a paraticular folder, I would like to be able to filter, for example, on context.

2) In the spirit of Android, I would love to see the equivalent of desktop widgets where one could create a "view(s)" of tasks of interest based on a preset filter. A much smaller footprint than the full application. A view filter per desktop object defined would be ideal

3) A quick entry capability from a desktop object and / or command line (for scripting and avoiding the mouse as much as possible efficiency I use Active Words on Windows) ala the Android application ToodleTask. ToodleTask has some basic pre-settings that you define up front: Priority, Due Day (Today, Tomorrow, None) Tags, Folder, and Context. This allows for super efficient task entry and in my case, I have it going to a folder called Inbox for later processing. (truly in the spirit of GTD, no encumbered thinking up front, capture the task, get it off my mind and move on!)

Keep up the great work and thanks for listening!

-Ben

This message was edited Apr 06, 2012.
ben

Posted Apr 05, 2012 in: Keeping it simple
  • ben
  • Posted: Apr 05, 2012
Posted by JPR:
Posted by ben:
I like the idea about the note column, how do you move it? Mine is at the very end and there is no way that I have found to move it?

Settings > Tasks > Display Preferences:

Ah, sneaky little checkbox, took some looking to find, thanks!
ben

Posted Apr 04, 2012 in: Keeping it simple
  • ben
  • Posted: Apr 04, 2012
I like the idea about the note column, how do you move it? Mine is at the very end and there is no way that I have found to move it?

Thanks
-Ben
ben

Posted Apr 02, 2012 in: Toodledo and ADHD
  • ben
  • Posted: Apr 02, 2012
@SES21 - Been looking at it, thanks. Choices...

@sbolton - There is a fee for the ToodleDo sync plugin to eliminate the sync delay. It's free otherwise.

-Ben

This message was edited Apr 02, 2012.
ben

Posted Mar 27, 2012 in: Toodledo and ADHD
  • ben
  • Posted: Mar 27, 2012
Appreciate the distraction challenge!

For my desktop I've started using TaskUnifier on Windows. Jury is not in yet but at least it runs in my restricted desktop (love Java)environment at work.

For mobile, I'm Android 100% and between the application and the application widget options, it can't be beat!

For easy task entry to my inbox I use ToodleTask, wonderful simple application. (Wish there were a windows desktop equivalent to this one!)

I keep gravitating back to Ultimate To-Do List Tablet on my Android tablet for my main processing activities. I also use Due Today my Android phone for its widgets, like them better, but the main program does not seem to be picking up my ToodleDo inbox and I have not had any help resolving that issue.

-Ben
ben

• ben
  • Posted: Mar 20, 2012
Posted by yuriaan:
I keep on getting an error on my smartphone: Your ToodleTask username is Blank, please change your settings"

but there is no option to change any of this in ToodleTask..!

With the ToodleTask window tap on the menu icon on your phone, that will bring up a dialog at the bottom with About, Changelog and Settings...

-Ben
ben

Posted Mar 16, 2012 in: Automated xml backup
  • ben
  • Posted: Mar 16, 2012
I was looking at this and just never completed; Did you also look at this thread linked below, there may be some useful info in there that is newer...

http://www.toodledo.com/forums/3/12031/0/backups-using-wget-on-windows.html

-Ben
ben

Posted Mar 12, 2012 in: Proximo's GTD Setup
  • ben
  • Posted: Mar 12, 2012
Posted by boguszewicz:
What many people don't realize is the power of GTD's mental side and the power of our minds and habits. You really can get more done using basic tools, given you stick to principles: weekly review, reviewing your lists daily and resisting the temptation to break the rules.

So true, it really is more about our habits then anything else. David Allen just recently tweeted (just happened to look at his tweet feed for some reason) about a new book called, ironically, "The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business"...

Here's the tweet:

"Powerful new book just released on understanding habits, from Charles Duhigg (a GTDer BTW)"

There was also a link to the book on Amazon which I won't reproduce here. I picked up the book on my Nook; a very good read, eye opening, especially if you want to understand how change your current habits. (are you even aware of them?)

-Ben

This message was edited Mar 12, 2012.
ben

Posted Mar 09, 2012 in: Toodledo for Work and Home
  • ben
  • Posted: Mar 09, 2012
Posted by ukz_:
You might want to re-think how you set up Toodledoo.

I use Contexts to differentiate between areas of focus (ie, work, home etc) as I have "everything" in the system but sometimes only want to look at one particular area.

There's plenty of examples of set ups in the hints and tips section.

I would be happy to go into more detail about my setup if it would help (nb, it isn't a true GTD set up though).

Likewise, I use contexts to delineate areas of focus. I implemented my layout in ToodleDo using the "Proximo" structure.

I am cursed with having to carry a work phone in addition to my personal phone. Fortunately both are Android so I have filters on the work phone for works stuff (including quick entry) and the same but for personal on my personal phone.

-Ben
ben

Posted Jan 05, 2012 in: We want an official Android app !!!
  • ben
  • Posted: Jan 05, 2012
For simple task entry "inbox capture" you cannot beat ToodleTask. It's in the market.

-Ben
ben

• ben
  • Posted: Dec 12, 2011
I mentioned this in another thread but wanted to start a separate one in the appropriate forum.

ToodleTask is very simple with a single purpose. The author, in the true spirit of GTD and the KISS principal, has created a super easy way to enter a task into ToodleDo with a single button press. It has some basic configuration options that you set up front and then the process is as simple as running the applciation, entering the task and hitting the Add+ buitton.

The author is very responsive to feedback.

It can be found here...

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.toodletask

-Ben
ben

• ben
  • Posted: Dec 08, 2011
Great list, thanks. Just found this one, ToodleTask, only does task entry, nothing else...

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.toodletask

-Ben

This message was edited Dec 08, 2011.
ben

Posted Nov 11, 2011 in: separate task lists
  • ben
  • Posted: Nov 11, 2011
I use Context to separate between work and home. I'm basically set up using the "Proximo GTD" structure defined here...

http://www.toodledo.com/forums/5/2660/0/proximos-gtd-setup.html

-Ben
ben

Posted Sep 26, 2011 in: Backups using wget on windows
  • ben
  • Posted: Sep 26, 2011
Posted by tbaker:
Hi Guys,
I wrote a script to facilitate this about a year ago. It could obviously use some cleanup and optimization. It covers offsite storage and compression.

http://www.toodledo.com/forums/3/5479/-29113/automating-toodledo-backups.html

Does this work with the new and improved updated toodledo site, in other words, are you still using it today?

Thanks,
-Ben
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4      Next