ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by roddyt"
roddyt

Posted Apr 23, 2009 in: Someday/Maybe Lists and iPhone Apps
Score: 0
  • roddyt
  • Posted: Apr 23, 2009
  • Score: 0
Well, I do use GTD, but only to the extent that it is helpful in my life. I pick and choose the aspects that work for me, and that's where the flexibility of Toodledo shines.

Toodledo may not the best choice for people who follow GTD as though it were a bible. As Alan said, there are other choices that are more suited to pure GTD. I haven't looked at many, but I believe I read that ThinkingRock is a good one that enforces GTD.

With the understanding that Toodledo is not what you expected, if you decide to stick it out and see if it works for you, which I recommend, you may be surprised to find you like it.
roddyt

Posted Apr 16, 2009 in: Folders, tags, context
  • roddyt
  • Posted: Apr 16, 2009
Angelique,

I recommend, when you have some free time, that you go through old posts in these forums, especially "Getting Things Done." You'll find quite a few posts from people who've described their methods and how they use these fields.

It's a learning experience. You'll find that there is no "right" way to do it. What you ultimately choose will be based on your own needs and style of working. But see what others have done and take ideas from them. You'll probably have to experiment to see what works best for you.

Roddy
roddyt

Posted Apr 04, 2009 in: Show More Folders
  • roddyt
  • Posted: Apr 04, 2009
My method is to View By: Main; Sort By: Folder; then Toggle Dividers to collapse the tasks. That gives you your list of folders. You can click on any to expand and see enclosed tasks.

As an aside, the way you wrote your question makes it sound like you think you have to actually go to the folder to add a task to it. That's not necessary. When you add a task, just select the folder from the pulldown. If I've over-analyzed your question (I tend to do that sometimes), then I apologize.

Roddy
roddyt

Posted Mar 31, 2009 in: Suggested layout mockup
  • roddyt
  • Posted: Mar 31, 2009
Posted by garyo:
Also I thought "Toggle Dividers" would turn the dividers on & off (I'd like them off), but it doesn't; it toggles their contents! Is that useful?

Posted by eph.zero:
I agree, especially about "toggle dividers." I, too, was expecting it to REMOVE the dividers.

Toggle dividers is very useful to me. I use folders for projects. When I want to review them, I go to the Main View-by screen and sort by Folders. Toggle dividers collapses the whole lot, then I click each folder in turn to open it and review that one project without the clutter of all the others.

A side benefit is that it is a convenient way to see the full list of just about anything (folders, contexts, etc.). This can be helpful when you have so many items in the category that they don't all fit in the tab view across the top.

Roddy
roddyt

Posted Mar 29, 2009 in: Toodledo is not for GTD
  • roddyt
  • Posted: Mar 29, 2009
Posted by Proximo:
When I am at work. I don't care about home related task or anything else. I only want to deal with Work. If I used folder "Projects". I would have no way of looking at all my work related activities. All my work related task that are NOT projects would be in one view. Then I would have Folders "Projects" that can be related to work or home but I won't have the focus to work only.

If you use folders for projects, then you should use contexts for "home" and "work". The key is to change your default view for the web (and iphone if you use it) to be Contexts instead of Folders. You log onto the web site, you pick your context, and off you go. All tasks for that context are in view, the Folder field lists the project.

This is the way I do it. In addition to the folders I create for projects, I have one folder that I have generically named Tasks. This is where I assign any non-project tasks.

I originally started by using the task-subtask method for projects, but I had too much trouble with it, probably for many of the reasons you do. Frustrated, I decided to try using folders for projects. I'm glad I did. In fact, I'm not even using subtasks now.

We need to have a Work Folder for ALL work related task and projects. This is why projects should be implemented to work inside of the Folders and allow us to not only see our Work task, but also manage our Work Projects in the same view.

I would have a problem with this. For me, work and home are not necessarily exclusive. I may have a home project that includes a phone call that I have to make during business hours, which for me, that means I have to make it at work. More often for me it's the other way around. I sometimes have a need to do work at home, like checking a server over the weekend. I'm sure I'm not alone with this kind of crossing. The Work-Home folder division doesn't work in this case, but Work-Home context does. I can review all the tasks related to the project within its folder regardless of where each task may be performed.

Roddy
roddyt

Posted Mar 24, 2009 in: Feature Request - iPhone Task Display
  • roddyt
  • Posted: Mar 24, 2009
Posted by amswitzer:

Both "Todo" and "Pocket Informant" allow this.

Amswitzer,
If you're referring to Appigo's Todo, where is the setting for this. I can't find one.

If not, then nevermind.

Roddy
roddyt

Posted Mar 18, 2009 in: Stars in Saved Searches?
  • roddyt
  • Posted: Mar 18, 2009
Yes, "Starred" is one of the available search parameters in the list.
roddyt

Posted Mar 17, 2009 in: Context in iphone
  • roddyt
  • Posted: Mar 17, 2009
This is how I do it, which works well for me.

I have a handful of contexts, but the primary ones I use are Home and Work. The key is that I use the Context View as my default View By setting.

On the iPhone there is a setting for the Start page. I have that set to Contexts, so when I start the app it gives me the list of contexts which I select as appropriate.

Roddy
roddyt

Posted Mar 16, 2009 in: Start Dates
  • roddyt
  • Posted: Mar 16, 2009
If I understand your request in that you would like the task to be hidden until the start date, then that is already possible. Just select "Hide Future Tasks" under Filters.
roddyt

Posted Mar 14, 2009 in: More Silly Questions
  • roddyt
  • Posted: Mar 14, 2009
Posted by Claudio:
If a Folder is a Project, then:
1. How do I see a list of my Projects as part of my weekly review, and easily view the tasks that are part of the Project?
2. How do I know the Status of the Project?
3. How do I create a project on the fly and immediately start entering the tasks for that project?
4. How do I indicate that the Project has been completed?

A suggestion for #1 is to view by Main, select All Tasks, then sort by Folder. After that you can select Toggle Dividers to collapse the tasks, then all the folders (projects) are listed by themselves if you want to easily see the list.

For #4, there is an Archived checkbox for folders that hides them in the Manage Folder view. I don't know if it has any other effect, but that's what I use to indicate a complete project.

As for my own experience, when I started with Toodledo I read most of the past forum posts to see what others were doing. I liked the idea of using subtasks for projects so I started doing it that way. I tried to get used to it but I found using the parent task as a project awkward, so I rethought the whole scheme.

I ended up going with the folder-as-project design. My primary folder is called Tasks, and that is where all non-project tasks go. All other folders are projects.
This method is really working out for me, even though folders can't be created on the fly. While I would like to see improvement there, I've gotten used to it, and it is only a minor speed bump now.

Roddy
roddyt

Posted Mar 12, 2009 in: Toodledo is not for GTD
  • roddyt
  • Posted: Mar 12, 2009
Posted by miicah:
One thing more. If there are no tasks in folder, it does not show up in the list. Bad thing if you want to see if there are projetcs without tasks...

What list are you referring to? I happen to have an empty folder, and I see it everywhere I normally look at folders, both on the web and the iphone app.
roddyt

Posted Mar 08, 2009 in: Due Date
  • roddyt
  • Posted: Mar 08, 2009
I just discovered these same issues now, it wasn't a problem when I read these reports yesterday. I'm in the Boston area, so it seems as the problem is making its way across the globe.

As for the "one day off" on the due date issue. I did a complete purge. Upon re-sync, the dates are correct again. Although I see that Steve purged his data and that didn't seem to work for him. It did work for me, so go figure.

I am also having the "tomorrow" dates listed under "today." That is on both the web and iphone.

Finally, to answer the last question, the dates on Appigo's ToDo are fine.

Roddy
roddyt

Posted Mar 08, 2009 in: iPhone App Updated
  • roddyt
  • Posted: Mar 08, 2009
I found the same problem. All due dates are now one day earlier.

I was able to fix it though. I did a complete purge of everything, after a re-sync, the dates are back to normal.
roddyt

Posted Mar 05, 2009 in: Enhancement Request: Tag Management
  • roddyt
  • Posted: Mar 05, 2009
It was just yesterday that I put in a plug for this very same feature. I rather generically said that having tags managed the same way as contexts would be nice. I forgot about the ability to string multiples, and yes, that is a feature I sometimes use and would not want to lose at the expense of using a picklist.

I'll add another example to consider. Although I use the Toodledo iPhone app now, I started with Appigo's ToDo. In their tag assignment interface, all tags previously used are listed. You can select as many as you want. At the top of the list is a field where you can type a new entry. That entry then appears with the others in the list. When you're finished in the screen, all selected entries appear comma separated in the tag field.

I don't know how well that would play in a web interface, but it is definitely a consideration for the iPhone app.

Roddy
roddyt

Posted Mar 04, 2009 in: Columns too wide
  • roddyt
  • Posted: Mar 04, 2009
Assuming you're in the grid format, click the second icon to the right of the Customize label (toward the upper right) to change the width. You can reorder them as well.
roddyt

Posted Mar 04, 2009 in: Newbie: how do you delete a task?
  • roddyt
There is a trashcan, but I don't think it is visible by default. Click Customize (toward the upper right), select Trashcan in the list, then save. The trashcan will then show to the far right in the task entries. Click that to delete.
roddyt

Posted Mar 04, 2009 in: List of Tags
Score: 1
  • roddyt
  • Score: 1
On my own wishlist is one of DSM's points. I use tags in a manner similar to contexts. As such, I have a fixed set that I refer to. It would be nice to define them the same way as contexts so they can be selected from a pulldown.

Roddy
roddyt

Posted Mar 04, 2009 in: Request for More Repeat Options
  • roddyt
This is possible to do. Here are the details:

http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?search=repeating
roddyt

Posted Feb 28, 2009 in: List of Tags
  • roddyt
  • Posted: Feb 28, 2009
Comma separated. A tag doesn't have to be a single word.

Click "Tag" in the View by list (very top of the screen) to manage them.

For documentation, click Help in the left margin and type "tag" in the Search Help box.
roddyt

Posted Feb 22, 2009 in: Status Updates
  • roddyt
  • Posted: Feb 22, 2009
Well, there is a "Status" field with predefined selections. If that doesn't fit the bill, maybe use of the Tag field.

But I would think you would have found those fields already, and as you're using the Notes field now, perhaps your updates need to be more "wordy." In which case, the Notes field might be your only choice.

Beyond that, it depends on what you mean by "structured." For instance, maybe you're thinking of a time stamp. I seem to recall someone requesting that some time ago (I think it was this forum). I also recall that someone offered a workaround or shortcut for doing it. I have no details as I wasn't interested in that feature when I read it, but maybe a search will turn it up if that's what you're interested in.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4      Next