ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by johnprince2112"
johnprince2112

Posted Sep 13, 2015 in: Priorirization of 'Next Action'
Score: 0
Thanks. I have the book, and have searched the forum on Next Action in addition to reading the thread (and watched the videos) stated below, reading 43 folders, etc etc. I have not seen my questions answered there so hopefully I find that nugget in the book.
johnprince2112

Posted Sep 09, 2015 in: Priorirization of 'Next Action'
While I have been in an IT Leadership position for 10+ years, I helped architect some cutting edge applications on some pretty salty teams. In other words, I am not adept with what I consider new-fangled processes, but I've been around mobile device 'check lists' for what, 15 years now. I am interested in this GTD process (which I know is mature, I've just bounced around from process to process average 15 month use and want to give GTD a try. While I know it's important to keep a consistent process, I believe it's more important to bail on things that don't work instead of giving up on them. So I'm learning this process.

I've skimmed the book and read 30+ articles/watched countless demonstrations, etc. So I understand it at an intermediate level and am planning on reading the book of course.

Some quick questions:
1. How many are using Action Lists (app)? I was considering it for my input app on my mobile device. It appears like I can map everything I want.

2. I'm struggling with understanding if there is a 'best practice' when deciding prioritizations of disparate 'next actions' within a given context.

Example:
I am at @home, and I have two 'tasks' associated with that context. One is a single 'action' Order Pizza, and the other is a 'Clean Backyard' project with multiple steps of course. One of them would ideally Is there a popular methodology for determine, is it engineered to be a run-time decision? in Other words,I still don't have my arms around the true intent of 'Next Actions'. I'm confident the book and many of your responses will help clear it up for me, so thank you in advance for your feedback. Your experience is a valuable form of mentorship for me.

p.s. In my 20 years of software development, Toodledo is one of the sharpest apps I've seen. Just put those indented sub-tasks on the iOS, Jake. I'll take it as it is for the next year with that single enhancement.

This message was edited Sep 09, 2015.
johnprince2112

Posted Jul 03, 2015 in: Can Toodledo Integrate with my life?
Score: 1
While this is hands-down my favorite GTD app, I agree with you about the time management features being needed. It's difficult to implement but I'd hope if enough people request this with explicit examples, it will make its way to the backlog and your hope is no longer audacious. ';-) FWIW, my top requests in this domain are:

1. Location-Time Based views:
If current location='%Location% OR then %Saved Search
Or %SavedSearch%@ %Time% %Period%.
If location='Home' then it defaults to my saved search called 'Chores'...or
AND/Or If Day=Sat/Sun then shoe 'Weekend Chores'
AND/OR Or if time=

2.Snooze (I'm interested in the options with this as it appears to be a widely request. One I would like is: X %Timeinterval% %TimeExpression% %Locations%. Example: 10 minutes after 'Arrive at Work'. T

3. Rolling Dates/Due Dates: Example: Due date is 'Current Date So if I set a due date for today, 3/18/2015 and do not check it off, when the system date changes it will roll with it.

4. Rolling date ranges: Example: Last 7 days, Next Five days LOW </L>

5. Toggle for top 3 views. On the IOS it would be slick to have three buttons, tabs, links, whatever that can be configured to hold a unique saved search. So I might have something like: 'MTGs To Sche' 'Urgent Work Items', and 'Emals to Send'. These are my most commonly used views an the faster I can access them the beter.

6.. Option to have short version of text message
The three subscription services I was most interested in were Subtasks/Collaorartion/SMS. With so many alert options I was getting annoyed with all the alarms going off---mainly the text. I will definitely set a different alert tone for these, but was thinking with all the different alert protocols, filtering them. would be slick. Example: SMS Alerts DueDateTimel AND Where %Setting% value. EG, only those where priority='3 -High' or 'Top'. Just like email filter HotList. I know this woule querty the tables and would understand there could be possibly delay.

7. Conditional Settings; If/then
Examples: if context=work then set folder to "general work" If %Setting%'X' then %Setting%='Y') where settings is any property type the user can assign to a task. There would need to be some business logic around Unique ID (Task Name?). But would like the ability to say if Tag=X then Parent Task=Z
I remember reading something about creating a template but it seemed pretty wonky.

This message was edited Jul 03, 2015.
johnprince2112

Posted Jul 03, 2015 in: Collapsed Tasks in Browser App
Posted by Sabina A.:
Are you referring to task dividers?

https://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=144

I am, and that fixed it for me. Thanks to both of you for your responses.
johnprince2112

Posted Jul 03, 2015 in: Rolling Due Date
Score: 1
Posted by mrruz:
I don't believe this is a feature in Toodledo because a due date is, well, a due date..

Understood. I guess it's like a due-time being, well a due-time yet folks want snooze. ;-)

Even a global option that states "Roll Uncompleted Items X Y forward after Due Date" (were X is value and Y is unit). Perhaps I am a slacker but there is hardly a day where I complete everything on my list, and so allowing those tasks to roll would save me time, Appreciate the response though.

The way I currently; handle it is I have a saved search for 'Yesterday" that I run each morning than multi-update the due-date to 'Today'. I seem to be more engaged with GTD apps the more efficient they are.
(And I agree this feature most likely doesn't exist so I'm curious how many folks would use thiZ? :-)

This message was edited Jul 03, 2015.
johnprince2112

Posted Jun 30, 2015 in: Rolling Due Date
I have tried to no avail, but want to ensure there is not a 'Current Date' due date value.

Example:
On 6/28/2015
I set a task 'call my boss'
I set the due date to 'Current Date' (which would be 6/19/15)

I don't call him, and so on 6/20/15 when I query for tasks that are 'Due Today' the 'call my boss' task will appear because it's due date is always 'Current Date'.

If not a feature right now is it planned?

Thanks
johnprince2112

Posted Jun 30, 2015 in: Collapsed Tasks in Browser App
Is there a way to default it so the tasks are not collapsed? Often it will say I have a task, but when I click it the task count string disappears and there are no tasks. Thanks
johnprince2112

Posted May 18, 2015 in: Progress Report - April 2015
This is good stuff. Not many companies would publish a quasi-scorecard like this. While I'd much rather have indented subtasks in iOS, I understand the need to focus on UX.

With the endless configuration options (which is GREAT) it is imperative there's not "Advanced" forms with buttons to "Super Advanced" forms with a button to "Double-Secret Advanced" forms (simply as a way to place new elements for new features)...where functionality is present yet lost due to lack of UX focus.

I look forward to the re-skin.
johnprince2112

Posted May 18, 2015 in: Dynamic Alert Defaults
Unsure if this has been requested but would like the ability to set default alert (alarm) values by X where X=Context (preferably) or folder. Entering this information is all about speed for me (the faster the better).

To put the request in to context (no pun intended);
I don't set alerts for personal items, however for work-related items I do.

1. Check box by the default Alarm times that states: If [CONTEXTS] used default to: [Alarm Settings].
2, So here I could check this box, select 'Work' as the context, and have the fields only for that context default to Same Day +1 hour.

Bonus Request ;-)
It would be great to be able to sort the entry fields on the iPhone's 'Task Details' form. I thought I saw a way to do this, but can't find it now. Is there a way? i.e. I can set it so the field order is:
Context
Folder
Due Date
Due Time
Tag
Priority
johnprince2112

Posted May 18, 2015 in: Subtask Indentation on iPhone
Jake, do you have this (currently) on your roadmap for the next six months? This is the only thing preventing me from getting a Gold subscription. I'm kind of in a bind as I'm now ready to on-board my team with this app, but the process without indented subtasks will be different. I have trepidation about on-boarding my group and then in 6-8 weeks changing up the process when indented sub-tasks are released. If I knew it was going to be at least six months then I can perhaps move forward so curious as to when we might see this, or is there something preventing it from happening? Thanks!
johnprince2112

Posted Mar 18, 2015 in: My Top Requests
Jake, my trial subscription ended and I'd like to update it. Can I assume the parent/child relationsshps will ne joined?

Below are my top items. Figure I would share with all to see which ones garner additional interest and/or there i a work-around. I had planned to roll it to eight of my managers but the inability to see the subtasks indented in the IOS app three me off I assumed that view was available so I'm having to re-think my process and how I used parent tasks. On the web app I love it. It's purpose for me is a quick 1-2 word reminders with so it's an illustration for me.
f
However, I have adaopted three new teams East Coast, West Coast, and India, I am going to manage those directs as here I would do a drive by or remember when I see them....but do not have the luxury. Beta this and then move it forward based on that success.

QUESTION: Do you have any examples or test accounts for mock collaboration? I don't want to go through the registration process for someone and don't want to test it out with an employee until I'm used to it works

My Top Enhancement Requests:

1. Indent subtasks in iOS (See Above

2. Custom Sort views
I love the sorting options but I am spendig a lot of time getting to them on my app. Oncen again it's something I rarely have time to look at more than 20 seconds.

3. Location-Time Based views:
If current location='%Location% OR then %Saved Search
Or %SavedSearch%@ %Time% %Period%.
If location='Home' then it defaults to my saved search called 'Chores'...or
AND/Or If Day=Sat/Sun then shoe 'Weekend Chores'
AND/OR Or if time=

4.Snooze (I'm interested in the options with this as it appears to be a widely request. One I would like is: X %Timeinterval% %TimeExpression% %Locations%. Example: 10 minutes after 'Arrive at Work'. To put it in context...I have somerthing due for 7:45 (it's the first task). I'm running late to work and it don't know when I'll do it, the alert fires. I understand I could add a locatin alert and then snooze 10 but that is extra clicks plus not are all location.

5. Rolling Dates/Due Dates: Example: Due date is 'Current Date So if I set a due date for today, 3/18/2015 and do not check it off, when the system date changes it will roll with it.
6. Rolling date ranges: Example: Last 7 days, Next Five days LOW </L>

7. Saved views on iOS app (#2 accomplishes this).

8. Option to have short version of text message
The three subscription services I was most interested in were Subtasks/Collaorartion/SMS. With so many alert options I was getting annoyed with all the alarms going off---mainly the text. I will definitely set a different alert tone for these, but was thinking with all the different alert protocols, filtering them. would be slick. Example: SMS Alerts DueDateTimel AND Where %Setting% value. EG, only those where priority='3 -High' or 'Top'. Just like email filter HotList. I know this woule querty the tables and would understand there could be possibly delay.
9IOS toggle. You seect 0-3 Saved Searches if selected then on each page within the IOS app there is a button for each selected saved search that when clicked it opens that vie.

9. Conditional Settings; If/then
Examples: if context=work then set folder to "general work" If %Setting%'X' then %Setting%='Y') where settings is any property type the user can assign to a task. There would need to be some business logic around Unique ID (Task Name?). But would like the ability to say if Tag=X then Parent Task=Z
I remember reading something about creating a template but it seemed pretty wonky.
'

Thanks so much for your time! If you or need elaboration please let me know.
johnprince2112

Interesting....it looks pretty good on my defice (and fast). Of course prefer not to have to switch but I had nto even thought of that
johnprince2112

Posted Mar 11, 2015 in: Saved Searches
Salgud, thanks for the reply.....I definitely think I can incorporate some of that.I'm new to this app, but absolutely love it. These custom vies are a big player in the way I'm utilizing this so am giving myself a few weeks to conform what is available. I'm soon going to roll this out to my immediate org, and will eventually propose to our division (we have a new CIO so things are in flux). As you know there are politics in involved with something like this so am preparing a deck to present to our execs in a month or two...feedback such as this is incredibly helpful. In a day or so, I'll publish my work flow with this app to solicit areas where there are better practices based on my intents. I understand that there are common controls being used and you would rob peter to pay paul. However, if we all put our heads together, it will pawn one idea, that spawns another, etc,,and thus this app we all love will grow even further, and everyone benefits. ;-)

Thank you again

-John

This message was edited Mar 11, 2015.
johnprince2112

Posted Mar 11, 2015 in: Saved Searches
Jake is there a way to either manually re-order my saved searches...OR easily rename them? I have a lot and number them to sort as desired.
1-Work
2-Personal
3-High Priority Items Due to Me

This works great, but I have about 25 of them. If I inject one say at #3, I have to go run, rename, and then delete all the subsequent ones. Was hoping I can simply rename on instead of running it, "saving as" (w/new name) then deleting the one with the old name. Of course better yet manually order them (saved) on both web app and IOS app.

Thanks!

-John
johnprince2112

Posted Mar 10, 2015 in: ToodleDue Sync
Just as a follow-up, this seemed to have gone away on it's own, so perhaps a 'hiccup in the app pool' as we used to say back in the day. ;)
johnprince2112

Posted Mar 08, 2015 in: Voice to Text
My understanding is that this feature is not on the road map, which is understandable since so many people have work-around. However, I am tied to my work device which is a 4. So no Siri, no voice to text for 'Reminders', etc. While everyone else in my family is rocking a 6 or 6+, I don't want to carry two phones (personal and work) so it is what it is.

With that, is anyone using 4 and have the ability to somehow sync voice entered tasks in to Toodledo? Right now it's pretty bad because I use one app to speak in, then have to select, copy, then go to Toodledo and paste. My eyesight is poor and my fingers are fat, so it is more of a need than luxury. I am unaware of any solution, but this is my only real request with a 3rd party app.

Additionally, if there are any aspiring developers out there (or if you know of one), I will be happy to fund a custom dev project that will simply capture the voice note entered and sync it with Toodledo (I have not read their API but imagine it would only need to call a feew methods as really just need to insert a task and I can update it from there.

Thanks all

This message was edited Mar 08, 2015.
johnprince2112

Posted Mar 08, 2015 in: Forum Search Feature
Thank you. This is actually outside of being indexed. Specifically, I'm trying to find some of my previous posts as when I go to my user profile and click on the "View Posts" it just takes me to the search page. I'm confident I posted some questions yesterday, but don't see them so I might have them in draft somewhere. I'll do better putting my question in watch mode and keep looking for what I posted yesterday. It had to do with saved searches and rolling dates. ? Thanks

This message was edited Mar 08, 2015.
johnprince2112

Posted Mar 08, 2015 in: initial Impressions
Thanks, Jake. I just submitted the request. To be a little more specific concerning the snooze, have you defined all the requirements for the initial release of it? I imagine the Beta process is focused mainly ensuring existing functionality is working as designed, along with generalized rating of the feature.

However, I'm trying to get my reqs in for snooze before or as it is being designed. While I have no doubt whatever you and your team come up with will be great, trying to get more than the minimal guarantee with this one. However, I don't want to waste time writing out some use cases for what I'd like if it's going right to the backlog (I can wait until v2 of it). Hopefully that makes sense....Thanks
johnprince2112

Posted Mar 08, 2015 in: Negative Priority in App
Okay, this helps. It's a slick feature to customize the views like that. It kind of hurts the -1 feature. I use it as a 'some day' attribute. Nice to hide it...but now I have to set a reminder to check up on those (out of site out of mind) instead of creating a saved search called 'Some Day' that is right in front of me.

Once again many thanks for the extremely prompt replies. My questions will wane once I gain more exposure. Right now still trying to define the best process for myself and my team and the only possible show-stopper is the inability to indent (or better delineate) parent/child tasks in the app. Regardless I amjust besides myself at how awesome this app is as well as the tenacious customer service (I hope you have help, Jake). I'm quickly becoming a raving fan.
johnprince2112

Posted Mar 08, 2015 in: Forum Search Feature
Is it working correctly? As an example, I just posted something about ToodleDue third party app. I searched before with no results returned...then searched after my post (with 'Toodledue' in the subject and post itself...still no results.

Thanks!
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4      Next