ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by saskia.x"
saskia.x

Posted Feb 27, 2009 in: Same tasks every day for each client
Score: 1
  • saskia.x
  • Posted: Feb 27, 2009
  • Score: 1
I don't see how a refresh link would be any use, since it wouldn't be any different to using the browser refresh button. If you want an even easier way to refresh, try the browser keyboard shortcut (in firefox it's F5 or Ctrl+R).

I can't decide if I'd want auto-refresh or not. I like the fact that the tasks I've checked off or just added are still displayed on the screen until I want them to go away (makes it easier to edit if I've changed my mind or made a mistake, and acts as a reminder of what I've just done), although sometimes it would be good not to have to press "refresh". Maybe we could have an auto-refresh option in the settings, where we say how long we want Toodledo to wait before auto-refreshing (and the option to turn off auto-refresh altogether if we don't want it).
saskia.x

Posted Feb 27, 2009 in: URLs in Task Name
  • saskia.x
Actually, reading the comments on for one of those add-ons, I've realised you can just select the text of the url and drag it to the address bar or a tab and it opens (when I think about it, that's obvious, it just hadn't occured to me before!). I've tried this with an url in a task title and it works, and it's just as quick and easy as using one of the extensions I just mentioned. OK, so it's still just a tiny bit less simple than just clicking on the link, but since that would interfere with the way that the task title is selected in Toodledo, it seems like a reasonable workaround.

This message was edited Feb 27, 2009.
saskia.x

Posted Feb 27, 2009 in: URLs in Task Name
Score: 0
  • saskia.x
  • Score: 0
If you're in Firefox, try out one of these add-ons:

take me to this url:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8433

URL link:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/403

Fetch text URL:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/518

They all give you the option to follow non-clickable urls, although I'm not certain they would all work with the urls in the task name since it might not be treated like normal text. "URL link" says it works on links in edit boxes, so that might work with Toodledo. I haven't tried any of them myself yet.
saskia.x

Score: 2
  • saskia.x
  • Score: 2
Posted by DavidSzp:
I'd say clicking elsewhere on the task could select the task, but that's already used for editing fields (although there's space between fields). What about Control-Clicking anywhere on the task but the checkbox? Could that do a color change to "highlight selected" with each Ctrl+Click?

I like that idea - ctrl-clicking on the tasks to select a number of them to multi-edit. The current multi-edit function is very useful, but not always appropriate for some kinds of multi-edits, where the tasks aren't necessarily very similar. It seems silly to have to invent some ultra-complicated search just so I can edit several tasks at once; it's usually easier just to edit each task individually than it is to run a convoluted search & multi-edit. Obviously, though, the search & multi-edit option is incredibly useful, but it would be nice to have another way to do it for the things that aren't so easy to search for. As an example, I often review my overdue tasks and reset the due dates to today or another date in the future (having used GTD style due dates for some time, I eventually decided that the ability to set up more fine grained prioritisation through due dates was too important to me, so I use due dates to give myself a guide to when I intend to do things, and although I know I can use due date modifiers I prefer to be reminded that I intended to have done the task by now!). However, I don't want to just make all overdue tasks due on the same date - I prefer to leave tasks that are really urgent with their original due date so that I'm nagged about them, and give some tasks a due date some time in the future because I've re-evaluated their priority. There isn't any straightforward way to search for the tasks I want to reset to a particular date, since they don't always follow a pattern. I don't want to overcomplicate things, I just want a simple way to edit multiple unrelated tasks at once.

I don't think that the checkbox should be used for selecting tasks, though, and adding a second checkbox would be confusing, so ctrl-clicking seems like the most sensible option. This is a common way of selecting multiple items in other programs, so users could be expected to be familar with the idea, and it doesn't mess up the current functionality for users that don't need it.
saskia.x

Posted Nov 24, 2008 in: Firefox Sidebar Timer
  • saskia.x
  • Posted: Nov 24, 2008
I don't think there is, but it would be great if there was - I would use the timer a lot more if it was available in the sidebar.
saskia.x

• saskia.x
Alt+Left works for you? I've never been able to move backwards & forwards in the Toodledo sidebar, no matter what method I use (e.g. keyboard shortcuts or mouse side buttons). For me, Alt+Left moves the site in the main window backwards, not the sidebar.

The lack of a good means of navigating really limits the usefulness of the sidebar - it would be much better if the "breadcrumb" menu was visible all the time, including when viewing an individual task, and if back/forward worked for everyone (although now I wonder if there's something wrong with my setup that prevents it from working properly? I use the All-In-One sidebar extension, so perhaps that interferes with the proper operation of the Toodledo sidebar).
saskia.x

• saskia.x
Having re-entered my login details in the firefox addon, I can now see all of my own folders/contexts etc in the dropdowns, but tasks I add via the right-click menu still don't seem to be appearing in my task list. I've waited a few hours in case there was a delay, and have tried a few more times to create tasks via the context menu but to no avail! Any idea why this could be?
saskia.x

• saskia.x
  • Posted: Nov 23, 2008
Aha! That explains it. I assumed that they both used the same login. Strange, because I've used the right-click option before with no problem, perhaps my login info was reset because of the recent update to the add-on?
saskia.x

Posted Nov 23, 2008 in: Feature Request - Tag Drop Down List
  • saskia.x
Alternatively (or perhaps additionally), some kind of autocomplete similar to that found in Delicious and Evernote would be great.
saskia.x

Posted Nov 23, 2008 in: Google gadget in Gmail?
  • saskia.x
Forgot to add, the main features I'd like to see from the RTM gadget are the link to the original email & the ability to generate tasks automatically when you star an email or tag it with a specific label.
saskia.x

Posted Nov 23, 2008 in: Google gadget in Gmail?
  • saskia.x
That would be fantastic, I've been jealously eyeing the Remember the Milk gadget since it first came to my attention! I much prefer Toodledo to RTM for many reasons, but you've got to admit they have a few nifty features that would be nice to see in Toodledo like the gmail gadget, offline access & Windows Mobile sync. I wouldn't want Toodledo to try too hard to copy RTM, but it'd be good to pinch a few of their better features!
saskia.x

• saskia.x
The same thing is happening to me, but also, more seriously, tasks I've added via the right-click menu aren't making it to my to-do list at all! The drop-down lists for context, folder & goal are blank too. I'm definately logged in, since the sidebar is functioning properly.
saskia.x

Posted Nov 23, 2008 in: Subtask dependency feature request
  • saskia.x
Consider this another vote for this feature.

This would help us to focus on only the Next Action of a project without being distracted by future actions, something which is important regardless of whether you are following a GTD-inspired system or not.
saskia.x

Posted Nov 23, 2008 in: looking for way to duplicate tasks
  • saskia.x
I'd like to add a vote for this feature. It's something I've wanted ever since I started using Toodledo (over a year ago), and have not found any satisfactory workaround.

There are many ways that duplicating tasks would be useful, and would really improve the efficiency of use of Toodledo. I'd love an easy way to create things like "follow up" tasks, for instance, and duplicating tasks would be an obvious way to do this (i.e. with the aim of creating a task that is pretty much identical to the previous one but with a slightly different name and a new due date). I frequently create tasks that are very similar to existing ones, but are not necessarily tasks that I would want to duplicate regularly enough to justify creating a template in excel.

Toodledo is supposed to help us be more efficient and effective in getting stuff done, so anything that makes us more efficient & effective in our interactions with Toodledo can only be a good thing!
saskia.x

Posted Nov 18, 2008 in: Viiew by Tag doesn't show all tags?
  • saskia.x
  • Posted: Nov 18, 2008
Posted by jsmail63-reg:
I know I can create a custom search for a particular tag, but don't love how the display separates things by date (ie: 'completed on' headers). Clicking "toggle headers" in this view also didn't do what I expected - it actually collapsed the detail lines UNDER the headers (so only headers were shown!) vs getting rid of the headers. Not sure if that's what was intended, or if this might be a bug..

These separators are based on your "sort" settings, so you can change them by changing the primary sort. It won't get rid of them entirely, but it can change them to something you'll find more useful (I like importance best). A workaround to get rid of the headers is to sort by a field you don't actually use!

The sort settings can be different for each view, so any changes you make to sorting in search will only apply to searches, not to your other views such as folder/context/hotlist etc.
saskia.x

Posted Oct 16, 2008 in: How are you using new notebook?
  • saskia.x
  • Posted: Oct 16, 2008
Posted by michael.emery:
My only complaint is having to share the same folders with the task functions on ToodleDo. It doesn't make sense.

I suppose it depends how you use the task folders and the notebook, but to me it makes perfect sense to have the same folder names for both. All the notes I make generally relate to some specific area of my life, which is what my folder names correspond to (kind of like the GTD "20,000ft" level, although I tend to think of them as "Uber Projects"). Although, tbh, I use Evernote as my main notebook program, so my Toodledo notebook is only used for a limited selection of things. However, even in Evernote I have tags that correspond to each of my Toodledo folders which I use for most notes, since my notes don't exist in a vacuum separate from the rest of my life.
saskia.x

• saskia.x
Posted by Simone:
1) provide separate icalendar links for each context and/or each folder and/or hotlist and starred

3) imap access to tasks

These two features would give users many more options for how to access their tasks, and might actually reduce the number of other apps & devices you get asked to provide support for.

Separate iCal links for different views would allow us to use them in apps that support iCal but don't offer any way of viewing by folder/context or don't have good sorting features (where the hotlist would provide a handy way to focus in on important tasks & ignore the "clutter").

IMAP support would give us a way to access tasks offline, without having to use Google Gears, and would also provide a way to view tasks on any device with IMAP capabilities (which will include many devices which don't currently have a way to satisfactorily view Toodledo tasks). For an example of another implementation of a non-email use of IMAP, see Evernote (http://www.evernote.com/about/support/imap.php).
saskia.x

Posted Oct 16, 2008 in: Mind Mapping with iPhone and ToodleDo
  • saskia.x
This is quite a good idea, but I agree with Dave that you'd need to be more specific before any import/export tool could be made.

Personally, I'd envisage the mapping of mindmap to Toodledo to be something like:
Folder = central idea of mind map
Tasks = first level of mind map
Subtasks = second level of mind map
Notes = any further levels, formatted with indenting to indicate any further heirarchy

Things like context, due date, priority etc would probably have to be added manually, although it might be possible to use a syntax (like the one used to email things to Toodledo) in the mindmap to parse these details into Toodledo.

Mindmaps are great for brainstorming, and "big picture" planning, and it would be fabulous to have a way to get the results of this kind of planning directly into Toodledo. If it was possible I'd definately make more use of mindmaps than I do at present.

I don't know enough about these things or have enough time to do it myself, but looking at the FreeMind documentation, it seems that they already have XML export and many different ways to export mindmap data to many different programs, so it probably wouldn't be that hard for someone who knows what they're doing to create a simple export (& import?) tool.
saskia.x

Posted Sep 25, 2008 in: GTD Beginners Advice wanted
  • saskia.x
  • Posted: Sep 25, 2008
One more thing: I'm not sure if having your "Someday/Maybe" list as a folder is the best idea, since these tasks will still show up in your other lists and may therefore be kind of distracting! The idea of the Someday/Maybe list is that you only look at it during a review or perhaps when you been really productive and feel like you deserve the reward of starting on one of your "dream projects"! If these tasks are all mixed up with your other tasks it loses much of the power of the Someday/Maybe list.

There are a couple of ways that you can easily mark items as Someday/Maybe and keep them out of your lists til you need them: either mark them as "-1" priority or change the status to "Someday". I currently use the "-1" priority as I started using Toodledo before they introduced the status field, but I think the Someday status might be a better solution as it marks them clearly as Someday/Maybe and frees up the "-1" priority for other uses. To view your Someday/Maybe tasks you'd simply view by status and click on the "someday" tab (or priority then "-1" if you've chosen that route).
saskia.x

Posted Sep 24, 2008 in: GTD Beginners Advice wanted
  • saskia.x
  • Posted: Sep 24, 2008
Unless you are very disciplined about keeping active projects to a minimum, folders as projects isn't an ideal solution as you can very quickly end up with too many, and they aren't very quick to add "on the fly". I use the tasks/subtasks feature to handle projects, but unfortunately this is a "pro" feature so if you don't want to pay for the subscription then folders are probably the best way to manage projects. However, the Pro subscription is only $14.95 / yr, so it doesn't really break the bank, and you get lots of other useful features, so I'd say it's worth it!

Other alternatives for projects could be using the short term goals as projects, or even just keeping a separate project list (maybe using the context field to mark items as projects) with a list of tasks in the notes field, and just creating the Next Actions as and when you need them (more like the "classic" GTD described in the book, I suppose). I'm sure you could even use the Tag function as a way of managing projects; perhaps combined with the idea of having a separate "projects" list, so the project and all related tasks have a unique tag, and when you want to view an individual project you'd just use Tag view. Actually, now I think about it, tags for projects could be VERY useful, as the fact that you can apply more than one tag to an item gets over the problem of tasks which contribute to more than one project, something that I've struggled with on many occasions!

I use the folders as "Areas of responsibility" (i.e. 20,000ft level), tasks & subtasks as projects & actions, and the goals as each level beyond 20,000ft. I use fairly broad contexts and then use the tag field to be more specific (e.g. "@computer", then "email" in the tag field, or "@agenda", tagged with the person's name) or to categorise the task in some other way (e.g. "routine", "easy", "housework", "reward" etc). I also have "inbox" & "project" contexts to distinguish between Next Actions and unprocessed items or projects (new tasks go to "inbox" by default).

I deviate from classic GTD by making use of prioritisation, as I don't entirely agree with DA's take on prioritisation; whilst I agree that priority can change depending on things like context, mood, energy levels & time available, there are still certain tasks that are more critical than others and need to have attention drawn to them (and not risk them getting stuck in the middle of a long list and overlooked), and if you have quite a lot of tasks it can be hard to know what to do when you haven't already determined the priority of tasks. I use 3 for the tasks I know I must do, through to -1 for "someday/maybe" (although there is now an option for "someday" in the status field so I'm not sure whether to move to using that instead of -1). I tend to use "0" priority for tasks that don't really matter but which are things I'd like to do; I try to keep a few of these on my active lists rather than someday/maybe as it's good to have a few "treats" saved up for when I've been a good girl! I think of priority as a measure of how important that task is to my projects & goals, and how urgent it is (sometimes I find that urgency can't be encompassed by due date alone, especially when you're trying to stick to GTD & not use due dates unless there really is a due date!). I find it more helpful to determine priority when I'm processing tasks during a review (when I'm already thinking about how everything fits into my goals & projects) rather than while I'm trying to choose what to do, when it's just distracting and overwhelming to be trying to decide what the best use of my time is!

I do agree with DA that pre-defined priority shouldn't be the only deciding factor; sometimes I deliberately pick an easy task (hence the use of an "easy" tag) when I'm not feeling up to anything difficult, or I use the scheduler (I think that's another Pro feature, I'm afraid) to pick a task that will fit in the time I have available. And of course I view by context whenever I'm constrained by context, although I often have a lot of freedom about which context to be in so this aspect of GTD is slightly less important to me than it is in "classic GTD", although I do tend to group my tasks by context for maximum efficiency.

There's quite a lot of flexibility in Toodledo, so experiment to find your own way of using it. Theres a lot of powerful features that can be put to ingenious use, like tags & saved searches, which are a great way to customise your setup to suit your way of working & thinking.

This message was edited Sep 24, 2008.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7      Next