ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by lite1"
lite1

Posted May 31, 2009 in: Print
Score: 0
  • lite1
  • Posted: May 31, 2009
  • Score: 0
Anders - thanks for follow-up. While not free, SnagIt software is quite powerful and its much > versatility might be worth the $50 purchase cost versus the free items you have pointed to. Same folks through which Vin did his "video" of TD. http://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.asp I use SnagIt quite a bit at office. Mature product and upgrades are somewhat reasonably priced.
Edward
lite1

• lite1
Posted by Anders:

PrintWhatYouLike Button (another new addon that uses this web service: http://www.printwhatyoulike.com/ ) This last one looks like it might be the most interesting of all, but I have not tried it yet.

Like TD they offer a free version and Pro(latter is rather pricey per year). Seems it can be used with many browsers, not just FF. Free version looks quite useful, but doubt it can be used with TD as TD requires log-in to see your own data and I was unable to do this thru the PWYLB demo - I had not signed up for the free version, so perhaps it is actually possible. SEE post immediately by Anders - yes it can be used with TD.

Sorry I have pulled this thread away from OP, and it might be better in 3rd Party forum or elsewhere. Boundaries for a given thread seem to drift and often this means the discussion is perhaps thinking outside the box!

Edward

Edited to make it clear that this is not just for FF browser; also that it can be used with TD

This message was edited May 31, 2009.
lite1

• lite1
Thx Anders - helpful as usual.

Scott, suggestion: From full site browser (in my case FF, but expect is true for any browser) from browser Menu choose File | Preview. Most likely you are given a choice for Scaling - Printing at 125% gives a large/readable point size.

Just started printing a few things from TD and agree that some report features would be excellent way to "extract" from TD what I want to take with me portably on paper (don't have iPhone). I'm sure that someone will start thread on "Printing; and print report feature suggestions"; and in that I'd want to be able to either print just the full task description and the check box at left. This'd allow for writing paper notes on same print out next to that Task. Printing at 125% a Starred list sorted by Tag leaves me enough vertical space between each entry that I can do some writing.
Edward
lite1

• lite1
Posted by Anders:
... There are a number of Firefox addons that would allow you to print just what you want from the full site...

Pls share these here as I don't want to proliferate threads on similar topic, thx. Edward
lite1

Posted May 29, 2009 in: Revisiting Google & iCal
  • lite1
  • Posted: May 29, 2009
Replytoken several threads in last few weeks on this area and most are rather discouraging. I concur with most of what Anders points out from my own exp. with TD and Gcal (but never using things with a mobile device).
1) Gcal seems to synch at least once every 24 hour period of time; perhaps as many as 4 times/24 hours. The pattern seems unpredictable.
2) Even when it does synch; the actual synch has some peculiarities. Namely, an entirely new task in TD is (very to 100%)likley to "show up"; however there are numerous times that a task that has been modified does not show up with this first synch, yet shows up subsequently.

Unlike Anders, I have never had a task that did not at some point show up within 36 hours. Bottom line for me has been that Gcal is so often out of date (missing tasks) or mis-leading (task info. that is there) that I would not trust it as an important tool in my life. For the most part I have completely abandoned Gcal which I had only been experimenting with - hoe that Anders or someone finds a decent alternative but am not holding my breath.

If you find the thread where it is suggested that one go the Google forum to a thread where many of us have "complained" to Goog about how useless Gcal is bec. synch is too infrequent AND does not even come close to following a pattern - please add your voice to that Goog thread.

Edward
P.S. I am also hoping that TD adds some greater functionality to its own internal calendar. I love TD but also would like to have a non-text more pictoral view of my tasks that comes with a calendar. Not sure why what seems like such a basic function seems so challenging for programmers to develop in a decent manner.
lite1

Posted May 29, 2009 in: Tasks In Multiple Folders
  • lite1
Posted by Toodledo:
Thanks for the suggestion.

Nice that you appreciate suggestions, but I see no value for me in this one. Kevin ... how would you use this?

TD, I appreciate that you have a product that allows for a lot of flexibility and different ways for customers to use things. I know that you have clear priorities for development, and hope that unless the benefit of a suggestion is self-evident that you at least expect a person to point out what they think are pros (and perhaps cons) of idea.

To me the cons are:
Diverts you from what are probably higher priorities.
Seems like the request is to have "clones" of the same task; to me in my own use, this would encourage poor clarity on the task to begin with and "where it should live".

Kevin, I am happy to be convinced otherwise of the value of your suggestion and encourage you to share when and how you would use it.

Edward
lite1

• lite1
TD DEVELOPERS - THANK YOU
Glad to hear that. I expect that I can save the use of Star for other purposes as I am already heading in that direction.

TD, thanks for continuing to keep users in the loop and giving us a heads up on things that are planned; things that are actually likely to be soon. To me this is very helpful communication. For my part, I will commit to never faulting you if for some reason you are unable to follow through on some thing even though it is your intention to deliver it.

As I commented during my evaluation period, the attitude and good communication behavior of TD developers is a fabulous plus to what is a very good and competitive product. That is why I migrated from RTM.

Again thanks, Edward
lite1

Score: 1
  • lite1
  • Posted: May 28, 2009
  • Score: 1
I'm new to TD and am gradually adopting some (probably not all GTD principles). I know that Vin Thomas uses Stars for all Parent level tasks and that others think this is a good idea. I'm not yet sold on it, so welcome your thoughts on the following.

I work online only (not mobile) and am at this point almost always in Folder view and am Pro subscriber. I use Folders for major life areas - not for "Projects". Most often I like to see a subtask in the "context" of its parent so I can focus on the over-arching goal implied in that Parent-name. I "hate" it when I choose a sort method that pulls out subtasks from their Parent; and this happens far too often. The only way I have found to get the view I want is to use the "toggle subtasks" choice - this seems to override some of the sort criteria, but at the very least it gives me the nesting I want. Are there Sort choices for criteria 1, 2, and 3 that keep subtasks nested?

I have been reluctant to dedicate the Star to something like Parent task as it is a powerful tool and if there are other ways to make Parent tasks float to the top I'll probably settle on that. For the time being, I am doing two things with my Parent tasks: 1) I always start them with a "+" sign; this seems to get them to the top alphabetically; and if I ever encounter them naked I know that they are a parent with additional (plus) things somewhere. 2) I also type in all caps. My own way of having them stand out a bit more. Are there any pitfalls in this approach? If there aren't many drawbacks, then this would allow me to use Star to quickly tweak the importance of something; or to use Star as an easy way to choose a number of diverse tasks/subtask for a search and multi-edit process.

I know that my approach with TD will evolve from use, but hope to head off in some reasonable directions initially so I don't end up with a major overhaul to my approach in the first month. I'd rather get things done than be continually tweaking my use of TD. One of the "drawbacks" to TD is its power and flexibility, which unfortunately allows newbies to adopt some poor initial strategies.

I might start using Tags with the Project name so that when subtasks get viewed away from Parent that it clearer what they are connected to. However I am hoping to limit the number of fields I actually have to fill in when creating a new task. My initial thought is that Tagging might be worth the additional entry time for those things that are repeating.

Thx to all who have given details about what they are tracking in their life; how they have setup TD; and the pros/cons of that approach so others with similar needs might try it out.

Edward
lite1

• lite1
  • Posted: May 16, 2009
Posted by Anders:
Also, another Google quirk to look out for is that added events, and changed events do not seem to update at the same time...

Just tested this myself and makes Goog Cal even nastier to deal with. I think my new sayings regarding Goog Cal will be: 1) If it is really important to your life never trust Goog Cal. 2) Even a stopped watch can be better than Goog Cal as unless you are crossing time zones the watch will be right twice/24 hours, but Goog Cal may give the impression of being right and up to date but rarely is.
I am surprised that Goog does not find its calendar to be a major embarrassment, but if it does perhaps it can be shamed into actually making it a worthwhile tool.
Posted by Anders:
Frustrating. I'm seriously considering other online calendar options. Are there any non-mac people who would recommend Mobile Me?

Unfamiliar with Mobile Me as I don't use an iPhone or iTouch but PC Mag online has review of it.

Goog Calendar is only marginally useful and even though many of us have added to thread on their cal forum that they need to refresh more frequently, no one seems optimistic.

Seems that many here at TD use Firefox as I do. I make a small annual contribution to them. Have never used Sunbird the Mozilla Calendar, but unfortunately it is challenged for funding. Is anyone familiar enough with Sunbird and Mozilla to know whether a bunch of us at TD and perhaps RTM started a campaign to make small contributions to Sunbird that collectively we might get a Calendar that actually works reasonably well?

While I really like TD and plan to use it indefinitely as my task manager; its internal calendar does not seem to be super high priority. I have always liked the "biz model"/approach of Mozilla and would be happy to support Sunbird.

By the way it is fine with me that this thread has morphed into an "alternatives to Google Calendar" thread. {Wish I could still edit my OP, so that I could alert readers of the additional topic.}

This message was edited May 16, 2009.
lite1

Posted May 16, 2009 in: Firefox Addon updated
  • lite1
  • Posted: May 16, 2009
Posted by Toodledo:
Our Firefox Addon has been updated with the following enhancements and bug fixes.

New, just upgraded to Pro; and just visited News forum for 1st time. Unfortunately did not see that OP was dated March 18, 2009 only that latest post was 1 day ago.

Perhaps TD already does this or would consider:
1) Email user when there is update to any software.
2) On for example FF Addon page indicate date of last update; if it had been there I'd have realized that I was already upto date as I only started with TD 10 days ago.
3) In Sidebar where you show reminder that Pro Subscription is expiring soon (or really any other place in Sb) have indication that update is available and keep note there for a week.

I'm sure that many happy users never visit the forum but would like to be upto date. You folks are great and I am pleased to have TD be a part of my life.

Edward
lite1

• lite1
  • Posted: May 15, 2009
Toodledo ... thx for your clear statement, since this is really in the hands of Goog, that is all that I can ask of you is to empower us users with clear & accurate info. As you edit and update your own official help area you might check your language which I believe currently implies that synch takes place only once/24 hours. It seems like most often it is at least once/24 hours and that frequency and time of day seem somewhat random and that there is no known reliable way to force a fairly immediate refresh.

Again, thanks. Time to continue to nag Goog about making calendar more useful by refreshing more frequently.

Edward
lite1

Posted May 15, 2009 in: Keyboard Shortcuts
  • lite1
thpope Nice idea but less imp to me than many other features. I have a task for Toodledo and in the Note field have shortcuts as well as my own personal rules of how I am doing my task entry and any other things regarding TD for which I want some quick reference. I guess I'd prioritize my/our collective requests to TD for improvements to UI perhaps along lines like this:
lite1

• lite1
Posted by Anders:

Edit: BTW, if you ever urgently need your iCal updated so you can set reminders, etc., you can unsubscribe and resubcribe on Google for an immediate refresh. It's cumbersome, but it works. However, I believe you will lose any previously set reminders.

I tried this during the couple of weeks I was using RTM and had inconsistent results. By this I mean, that Ander's method worked immediately but when I tried it again an hour later, it seemingly did not force a refresh/synch. Perhaps someone knows, but Google might limit the total number of refreshes/synchs that are possible in any 24 hour period and therefore makes this work around less useful. Has your work around consistently re-synched? If so I might play with that a bit more.

Anders thanks for your info/exp on refresh/synch. I don't have enough data points but it seems that my Goog Cal refreshes about 6:30AM and 1PM PDT.

Edward
lite1

Posted May 15, 2009 in: Batch edit in Toodledo?
Score: 3
  • lite1
  • Score: 3
Claudio is correct, but it is far less useful than how RTM does Multi-edit (I am an RTM migrant). I am finding that in TD unless I know in advance that it will be easy for me to construct a search and that I truly want to make the same change; I find that most often I am editing one at a time.

Only circumstance where I have found it useful is if I want to add additional Tag(s) to a group; or as you implied in your ?,if all have same Due Date and I want to accelerate or postpone all.

FYI: I believe that it has been suggested and applauded by many that a method of selecting multiple tasks for a "normal" view and then being able to edit them would be helpful to many.

isaachess You might also read Claudio's 2nd post in the following active thread
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/2013/0/24-ways-to-improve-toodledo.html

Edward

This message was edited May 15, 2009.
lite1

• lite1
Please determine whether your activity logs show when Google pulls iCal data from you and post:
1) Is the frequency really just once/24 hours as you have written?
2) Is the timing of pull(s) reasonably consistent?
Thanks for any help, and I understand this might not be a priority.

For those of us who like to trust TD as well as our Goog calendar as being complete/upto date this would be important info. If any consistency, then personally I'd set a reminder to consider doing some TD work a half hour before a particular pull.

With TD options ( only enter Start Date; only enter Due Date; add Due Time to either, neither, or both; if Due Date is present - what variety is it, Due on | Due After | Due By | Optionally on) there are lots of combinations to try out to determine what shows up on Goog Cal AND how it appears visually on Goog. Then add Task & Subtask variations to above - quite a matrix. So help on when Goog pulls from you would help in testing options. [I do know how many work but since it is visual information and I don't know how to post a screen shot it is useless to try to describe to others in words. Yes I see the image tag so when I sort things out more might try to do something that might be useful to others.]

I have added time in task subject I entered new Due Dated item in TD and noted when it shows up in my Goog Calendar. I know that it is at least 2/day and suspect as Remember The Milk has indicated (from their server activity logs?) that it is 4/day.
Thx, Edward

Edited to add Subtask

This message was edited May 15, 2009.
lite1

• lite1
  • Posted: May 13, 2009
Newbie with Pro trial, playing with added features and seeking advice on their use. Using Firefox 3.0.10 on PC running XP Pro. I do not track tasks on a mobile device. While I'll appreciate the input, I'd expect that old timers can skip this thread as they already know all of this.

1) TD official help FAQ suggests installing the TD's Google Gadget which I've done and put on my Goog home page. I find it to be fairly worthless since to see a task I have to scroll horizontally. Since other TD options seem to work better, I'd be fine with uninstalling this one. However if others find it really useful, I'd love to know how you use it and the benefits.

2) Feeds to Gcal seem fine: A) Installed both the Google Calendar feed that puts the check mark on each page. Also the "Live iCal Link" (via Gcal add calendar by URL). For the latter, what are the task characteristics that then will show up? Will those with only a Start Date show? If a Task/Parent does not have any Date at all, but a Subtask does will the Subtask show up? Gcal has yet to refresh my calendar so I'm not sure what I'll see tomorrow.
It seems that TD allows Gcal to pull all tasks and that there isn't anyway to force it to only pull from one or two folders - if it can be limited in some way I'd like to know.

3) The best for last - FireFox Addon: This seems to be very useful and since I almost always have a browser window open, I like the abilities to add tasks.
For the Sidebar: Once you click the blue right facing chevron and move deeper into a choice, how do you move back out one level? Are there any gotchas, in adding Tasks or SubTasks via the SideBar? Is there a hot key to toggle this TD SideBar open/closed in contrast to using the Tool Bar icon?

4) I thought that migrating here from RTM, that I'd value the the wimpy but promising TD internal calendar, and Start Dates; and I do find some value. It seems that Start Date is never connected in anyway to calendar (internal, or feed/export by iCal to Gcal). If that is so, I'd wish it to be otherwise as I certainly like to occasionally Calendar a date as a target for beginning a project even when I do not have a set Due Date. Is there some workaround for this other than giving it a DueDate and perhaps using Start as a Flag so it is clear it is only a Start reminder and then moving the DueDate out in time? I guess as I get more into GTD this will not be an annoyance as I will break the traditional project into next actions and the first of these upon weekly review would be given a Due Date, so I guess I have partially answered my own concern.

Thx for your advice.
Edward

P.S. I believe I read on a thread I can no longer find that many find a GreaseMonkey script to be useful for one or more the features above. I'm just amazed that keeping track of one's life can have so many potential layers of nuance and complexity, and I'm not even playing with a mobile device!

This message was edited May 13, 2009.
lite1

• lite1
  • Posted: May 12, 2009
Developers thank you for your clear communication that also provides info on priority of feature requests. This is in stark contrast to RTM developers and makes me very glad I am migrating from there.

Knowing what is likely as well as what is unlikely (bec. of low priority, or bec. is a higher priority but takes enormous amount of programming to accomplish) helps a user to decide on their strategy for organizing their own data. While I am still in trial for Pro, knowing that subtask feature is going to improve, hopefully fairly soon will have me commit to Pro AND to subtasking and put up for now with its peculiarities. Can't give other concrete examples yet as I'm a noob, but expect that if I have a work around and know that it will no longer be needed because some upcoming feature will handle the situation, I might Tag or enter my Task Subject in a different manner so I can easily search and find all the things that will no longer need such a cumbersome work around.

Thanks for being active in the forums, but as Anders said in another thread hopefully forum users can help each other so that developers can spend the most energy on improving the product.
Edward
lite1

Posted May 11, 2009 in: Parent Tasks at Top of List
  • lite1
  • Posted: May 11, 2009
Perhaps as a newbie it does not make sense for me to comment, on the other hand perhaps a naive perspective is worthwhile. Just started my Pro trial today. It seems that Star functions in a unique way and at this point I would not devote it to indicating that something is a Parent Task. My initial approach is to start all Parent Tasks with a "+" and to type them all in caps. When I sort Alphabetically, the Parent/Projects come to top.

I start all Child/subtasks with "-" and use normal capitalization grammar. When I see the item in the calendar and it starts with "-" I know that it is part of a Parent/Project. Have not begun tagging things much yet and hope to keep that for most entry to no tag or very minimal as I hope that the task subject line is written in a telegraphic manner that I not only know what I need to do but what that action step is related to.

I think that I may reserve Star for tasks that I consider to be important; those things that really move me toward my life goals and too often get bypassed for the Urgent and pressing things. While I am still learning GTD I might not adhere to the suggested boundary of calendar due dates that Allen recommends. My tentative plan is to use Due Dates as realistic motivators and tagets for completion that create "benign urgency".
Edward
lite1

Posted May 10, 2009 in: Keyboard Shortcuts
  • lite1
  • Posted: May 10, 2009
I have been noticing with all of my entry regardless of program when inefficiency is created by the need to move between keyboard and mouse. In all programs I have been learning more and more key board shortcuts.

Anders ... to reply to you. SideBar takes up real estate and can be distraction to the eye. If sidebar is open then using Tab allows you to move through choices and a simple Enter will accept that choice; hence no need to move to mouse. But since there is no keyboard toggle for SideBar, one needs to move to mouse to open it and therefore might as well click what you want. Given that TD allows for some nice customization of grid appearance, it's be nice to be able to toggle SideBar easily (actually for my commitment to keyboard having keyboard shortcuts to select/accept the SideBar choices would be even nicer).

Seems like there is no keyboard shortcut for Account Settings, but expect that as I develop my style of working with TD I won't be going into settings nearly as much as now when I'm learning and fiddling with the program.

Edward

This message was edited May 10, 2009.
lite1

• lite1
  • Posted: May 10, 2009
Anders, really appreciate your selfless attitude.
Posted by Anders:
... I honestly feel that by trying to help newcomers and answer questions by long time users as well, I am doing my part to make Toodledo better.... I also feel that if I take a little time to answer what questions I can before Toodledo gets to them (Toodledo eventually gets to everything), it frees up the developers to keep working on the important stuff....
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8      Next