Search results for "Posted by jamezzz"
jamezzz

Posted Dec 12, 2016 in: New Section: Lists
Score: 7
  • jamezzz
  • Posted: Dec 12, 2016
  • Score: 7
Posted by coolexplorer:
I agree that the TD compartmentalization / silos are preventing powerful use of the central Tasks module. Thank God for the in-line Notes in Tasks wherein one can make small notes, lists, etc.

If in a TD re-design Outlines, Lists and Habits and also Goals could be properly integrated into Tasks it would be much more powerful and more used.

Yes! I absolutely agree with this. That is probably my biggest frustration with TD...we have these wonderful modules Notes, Outlines, Lists and Habits and yet they are almost completely disconnected from the Tasks. There are so many ways these could be integrated! I'd love to be able to create a grand outline for a project and enable certain tasks in that outline show up in the Tasks module. I'd love to be able to create a Task that integrated a checklist or reading list from the List module. I'd love to be able to have select habits show up as tasks in the Task module at appropriate times. The notes module still isn't quite powerful enough to replace Onenote or Evernote, mostly for lack of better formatting options and it's really the only module I'm not quite clear how it would integrate with Tasks, but I know there are times where I'd like to see a summary of my projects including tasks, attachments and independent notes. TD's Task module is the absolute workhorse of task managers. These other modules should make that even more so once they're integrated. Without that integration, I pretty much ignore them.
jamezzz

Score: 0
  • jamezzz
  • Posted: Dec 07, 2016
  • Score: 0
Posted by jamezzz:
I'm liking the look and feel of the beta. Just a couple of things to note (using Google Chrome v54.0.2840.99):

1) Took me a while to discover how to enter tasks using Add New Task (N) without reaching for the mouse. I found I could easily tab between the fields (I like them stacked like that), but couldn't figure out how begin editing them just using the keyboard. FINALLY, figured out if you hit the space bar you can then edit the highlighted field. Wasn't obvious, but it works well once you figure it out. Perhaps that will be covered in the help or maybe hitting any key should begin editing the highlighted field when in the Add New Task sidebar.

2) Would be nice if the up/down arrow keys would scroll the list up or down as needed to get to task off the top/bottom of screen.

3) As mentioned in previous post, Quick Add Task shortcut key is not working.

4) The shortcuts in Quick Add Tasks using the / seems to get confused easily in beta. I can't seem to add multiple labels such as "Test /label1 /label2". It seems once I've entered a label the next label name I try and use tries to bring up something else like a goal or folder. Also, it seems to get confused if I backspace to make a correction and gets to the point where it won't show me any options when typing a '/'. At that point I have to exit the Quick Add Task and start over.

Things I am liking:
* The icons all moved to the left. I used to hate scrolling over to find the trashcan icon to delete a task
* Doing a Find (F) seems much cleaner
* Liking the Calendar control in the Date View
* Priority column looks cleaner

Looking great! Thanks for all the hard work!

Still seeing the issues regarding the tags described above. This is a must have for the Quick Add to be useful to me. Or maybe I'm just missing how to add multiple tags via Quick Add.

Also, really not liking how the Date pop up operates in the web app. I'd like to hit due date, select "Today" or "Tomorrow" and have that dismiss this dialog or pop up automatically. Or at least be able to hit enter to dismiss. As is I end up clicking somewhere else in the app or hitting ESC which isn't really intuitive.
jamezzz

• jamezzz
  • Posted: Nov 18, 2016
I agree, with Windows 10, all these UWP apps all have a tendency to look the same. Seems everyone is trying to fit their apps into the "tiles" UI...makes for a very boring collection of apps. Hopefully, as more developers enter apps in the Microsoft store they'll start to get more creative with look and feel of their apps.
jamezzz

Posted Nov 18, 2016 in: Focus on a project
  • jamezzz
  • Posted: Nov 18, 2016
Actually, you can easily setup a saved search that shows all the tasks with subtasks. Since I used parent w/subtasks as projects, I named my saved search "Projects" and I get exactly that. I also have two other saved searches for "Work Projects" and "Home Projects".

These days I spend most of my time using my saved searches that pull up exactly what I want the way I want it!
jamezzz

• jamezzz
  • Posted: Nov 17, 2016
I'm liking the look and feel of the beta. Just a couple of things to note (using Google Chrome v54.0.2840.99):

1) Took me a while to discover how to enter tasks using Add New Task (N) without reaching for the mouse. I found I could easily tab between the fields (I like them stacked like that), but couldn't figure out how begin editing them just using the keyboard. FINALLY, figured out if you hit the space bar you can then edit the highlighted field. Wasn't obvious, but it works well once you figure it out. Perhaps that will be covered in the help or maybe hitting any key should begin editing the highlighted field when in the Add New Task sidebar.

2) Would be nice if the up/down arrow keys would scroll the list up or down as needed to get to task off the top/bottom of screen.

3) As mentioned in previous post, Quick Add Task shortcut key is not working.

4) The shortcuts in Quick Add Tasks using the / seems to get confused easily in beta. I can't seem to add multiple labels such as "Test /label1 /label2". It seems once I've entered a label the next label name I try and use tries to bring up something else like a goal or folder. Also, it seems to get confused if I backspace to make a correction and gets to the point where it won't show me any options when typing a '/'. At that point I have to exit the Quick Add Task and start over.

Things I am liking:
* The icons all moved to the left. I used to hate scrolling over to find the trashcan icon to delete a task
* Doing a Find (F) seems much cleaner
* Liking the Calendar control in the Date View
* Priority column looks cleaner

Looking great! Thanks for all the hard work!

This message was edited Nov 17, 2016.
jamezzz

• jamezzz
  • Posted: Nov 17, 2016
Are Keyboard Shortcuts still being worked on in Beta? I found that the Quick Add Task (Q) shortcut isn't working in the Beta using Chrome browser.

This message was edited Nov 17, 2016.
jamezzz

Posted Nov 13, 2016 in: Quick Add Task Priority Hotkey request
  • jamezzz
  • Posted: Nov 13, 2016
Actually, this issue appears to be resolved in the new Beta version. Very nice!!
jamezzz

Posted Nov 08, 2016 in: Quick Add Task Priority Hotkey request
Score: 1
  • jamezzz
  • Posted: Nov 08, 2016
  • Score: 1
I get the following when typing "Test Task /1" the first time:

(folder) School Finances 2016-17
(priority) 1 Medium
(priority) -1 Negative
(length) 1 min
(due) Jan 01, 2017
(due) 12:01 am
(start) Jan 01, 2017

The Due time "12:01 am" is the one that has focus so if I just type "Test task /1" and hit enter or tab it's going to select the due time "12:01 am". I wish I could get the "1 Medium" at the top and automatically selected. So I don't know what's causing my Toodledo to behave differently, but it's quite annoying!

This message was edited Nov 08, 2016.
jamezzz

• jamezzz
  • Posted: Nov 04, 2016
When using Quick Add Task and specifying the day name for due date it picks the day already past instead of that day in the future. For example, here it is Friday and enter "Task A /sunday" and it picks last Sunday as the default. That makes no sense. It should pick the upcoming Sunday for this new task. If I enter "Task A /next sunday" I get the upcoming Sunday, but it's more typing than should be necessary...not as "Quick" as it could be!

I would suggest that /<day> should pick the upcoming day by that name and if, for some reason, someone wants to set it to the previous (which I'm guessing is unusual) let them say "/last <day>".
jamezzz

Posted Nov 04, 2016 in: Quick Add Task Priority Hotkey request
  • jamezzz
  • Posted: Nov 04, 2016
Yes, good question. I'm not using Start Date either, but it never has selected priority by default when doing /3 or /2.
jamezzz

Posted Nov 03, 2016 in: Enhancement to sub-task handling
  • jamezzz
  • Posted: Nov 03, 2016
Yes, I've essentially created several Saved Searches to give me 1), but I was just trying to avoid having to create a special filter. Actually, just discovered the settings for Indented mode subtasks in the preferences. If had a similar thing for Hidden mode that would be perfect!
jamezzz

Posted Nov 03, 2016 in: Quick Add Task Priority Hotkey request
  • jamezzz
Yes, you can use /3 or /2, but it always defaults to entering time, so then you have to scroll to pick the priority. If it would always land on priority first that would be perfect! Then if I continue with more numbers then choose the time or length or whatever makes sense. Every task I put in generally has some priority, but only some of times, length or something else requiring a number.

/p3, p2, /!!!, /!! would all be potential options as well, but if /3, /2 etc. would always hit the priority first that would perfect!

/H always lands on some other attribute than priority in my account, probably depends on what folders and contexts you have in your system.
jamezzz

Posted Nov 03, 2016 in: Quick Add Task Priority Hotkey request
  • jamezzz
I'd love to see another option for entering Priority when using Quick Add Task as typing in /High or /Medium isn't all that quick. IWBN if we could also use /p3, /p2, /p1, etc for 3-Top, 2-High, 1-Medium, etc.

Would also love to see how priority is defined configurable. I still have a hard time thinking of 3-Top as my #1 priority.

Thanks for such a powerful task manager! Actually, making the switch back to Toodledo after an affair with Todoist. Todoist is easy on eye, but Toodledo is easy on the brain...and the later is what it's all about!
jamezzz

Posted Oct 28, 2016 in: Enhancement to sub-task handling
  • jamezzz
  • Posted: Oct 28, 2016
Need someway to ensure that sub-tasks that are due or of higher priorities to do not get missed when using the Hidden option for sub-tasks. I can think of two ways of handlng this:

1) So we have the following options for sub-tasks: Inline, Hidden, and Indented. I would love to see sort of a hybrid of Hidden and Inline such that sub-tasks would remain hidden UNLESS they have a Due Date (or perhaps Status of Next Action) at which point they would show as Inline. At the very least I'd like the Due Date portion.

2) Another possibility would as follows. When sorting a list with Hidden sub-tasks consider the sub-tasks in the sort, but sort it's parent up to position of it's highest sub-task. For example, a parent task may have no due date, but during your planning session you decide one of the sub-tasks should be done today. Let the parent task sort up to Today based on that sub-task set to today. Even though, the parent task would have no due date, it would be very strong visual cue that I should crack that parent task open and check out the sub-tasks.

Otherwise, to ensure I'm not missing any sub-tasks that are due or of higher priority I have to run as either Inline or Indented, both of which can make for very long overall lists if you have lots of parents with sub-tasks.
jamezzz

Posted May 11, 2016 in: Two questions about tasks
  • jamezzz
  • Posted: May 11, 2016
Would love to see better integration between the Habits and my Todos/Tasks, just seems like a natural fit to setup Habits and have tasks show up in my task list to remind me and help me establish that habit. Any plans of tighter integration there?
jamezzz

Posted Dec 28, 2015 in: How to Track Larger Tasks
  • jamezzz
  • Posted: Dec 28, 2015
jpv2112-s, one system you might take a look at is MyLifeOrganized. I used it many years ago and recently took a look at it. It's come a long ways. Offers virtually unlimited hierarchy, very powerful search and filter features, fairly nice outline and task views as well as an interesting calendar view unlike any I've seen. They support iOS, Android, Windows, Mac and they offer a means to sync between those platforms. Ultimately, I stuck with Toodledo based on cost, TD's web implementation and the syncing between web and iOS is just simpler.
jamezzz

Posted Dec 28, 2015 in: Todoist vs Toodledo -- Why I'm back.
  • jamezzz
  • Posted: Dec 28, 2015
I, too, have been using Toodledo for years and recently had an "affair" with Todoist for several months. Very similar story to BobOkie at the start of this thread. The things that attracted me to Todoist was the Karma and the "clean" UI. I found the Karma feature strangely motivating and almost made it to Master, but after while I found the novelty of it wore off and I didn't check it as often although I was still being productive. I also began noticing that the UI is so clean that it actually isn't as easy to differentiate between tasks. The tasks with their attributes tend run together when quickly glancing at your list.

Although Toodledo often gets dinged for having a dated UI, I actually find their UI (especially with their latest improvements) to be very fast, easy to see what you need at a glance and it's easy to differentiate between the tasks. In the end, the features Toodledo offers won out as I can implement just about any workflow I can dream up using the features and attributes available in Toodledo. Also, the saved searches, in my opinion, are more powerful and more consistent between the web app and iOS environments with Toodledo.

I'd still love to see better integration between Tasks, Notes, Outlines and Habits. These sections seem very disjoint to me and I think they would be incredibly useful if better integrated. For example: I'd love to be able mark items of an Outline to show as Tasks such that if I checked the task off in the Task list or Outline it would be checked off in the other view. I'd love to be able to link tasks with a habit. I'd love to be able to tag notes. I currently use Folders for projects and since Notes can be associated with a folder it would be nice if there was a view that showed everything associated with a given folder together so I could look at my "project" as a whole, project tasks and notes, perhaps even outlines.

Keep up the great work Toodledo!! I'll be sticking around awhile!!
jamezzz

Posted Sep 10, 2015 in: New Section: Habits
  • jamezzz
  • Posted: Sep 10, 2015
Would really like to see the ability to add notes to Rating Habits each day. For example, if we're tracking productivity and we have to rate it as low it would be nice to take note why it was low on those days. This would be useful information to try and look for patterns, things that are killing your productivity....like posting on forums and such ;-)

Without being able to keep some kind of notes, it's really fairly useless. You can just say, "Oh look, my productivity was low 3 times this week and 2 times last week", but there's nothing to help you determine why so what's the pointing of tracking it. Yes, you could take notes somewhere else, but then why bother going two places to track that kind of information.

This is the kind of stuff that you need to go deeper on now and hold off going wide with the features.

ToodleDo is still the best task tool out there!!!
jamezzz

Posted Jul 26, 2011 in: Toodledo Redesign - July 2011
Score: -2
  • jamezzz
  • Posted: Jul 26, 2011
  • Score: -2
This post has been hidden because of negative votes. Click to reveal
jamezzz

Posted Jul 08, 2010 in: iPhone app version 2.0.2
  • jamezzz
  • Posted: Jul 08, 2010
My Sync on Startup isn't working with 2.0.2 update on 3G iOS4.
Was working fine prior to this update.
Skip to Page:  1   2      Next