ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Long Vu"
Long Vu

Score: 0
  • Long Vu
  • Posted: Apr 07, 2017
  • Score: 0
Today since this morning (7:30 EDT), I have intermittent sync problem with Ultimate To-Do List android app.

The error is unable to reach toodledo.com.

I trigger the sync, would have the error. Trigger it again same error, wait a few minutes, and it worked.

Then 15 - 20 mins later trigger sync again, same error.
Long Vu

Posted Apr 04, 2017 in: Slow search in notes since a few months
  • Long Vu
  • Posted: Apr 04, 2017
Hi, any update on this?
Long Vu

• Long Vu
  • Posted: Mar 23, 2017
Thanks, I confirm it is fixed.
Long Vu

• Long Vu
  • Posted: Mar 19, 2017
Any update? It's been a week. I can still reproduce this bug right now.

Just to be clear, this is a data corruption bug here. The data is getting modified without the user wanting it.

If "newpaper" becomes "<em>news</em>paper" then a search for "newpaper" won't be able to find it anymore !

Can the admin acknowledge data corruption bug is severe level/impact and should be classified as high priority? And provide an ETA for the fix?

I am not doing any note title rename now since a week because of this. Do you realize this is extremely inconvenient?
Long Vu

• Long Vu
  • Posted: Mar 12, 2017
Hi,

I think this is a pretty severe bug. I never intended the note content to be reformatted. I just lost 1 hour of my life undoing the reformatting and submit this bug.

Here's how to reproduce:

- open a web browser, login and go to notes
- create a note with title "test_bad_autoformat" with content "http://example.com"
- do a note search for "test"
- rename to the note title from "test_bad_autoformat" to ""test_bad_autoformat RENAME"

Result: the note content becomes "example.com", the "http://" has been stripped.

I think the damage is bigger depending on how big/complex the content of the note is.

I personally got more than just "http://" stripped note, example:

- "News Show" ==> "&lt;em>News&lt;/em> Show"
- "http://news.nationalpost.com/news" ==> "&lt;em>news&lt;/em>.nationalpost.com/&lt;em>news&lt;/em>"
- "newpaper" ==> "&lt;em>news&lt;/em>paper"

Honestly, the "old notes" of 1 year ago was less eye candy/sexy but way more functional and not buggy like this "new note".

I have submitted another issue about note search is slow since a few months.

And I can not scroll long notes with arrow up/down since the "new notes".

Not very happy since the "new note" is rolled out. Hope the "new task" is not that bad.
Long Vu

• Long Vu
Hi,

I only access this forum when I have an issue.

I also spot check the News section at the same time and discovered the post "Toodledo Tasks redesign ready for public beta testing".

Had I not been to the forum, I wouldn't know about it.

Is there a way to configure email notification of new posts to the "News" section?

Thanks.
Long Vu

Posted Mar 12, 2017 in: Slow search in notes since a few months
  • Long Vu
Hi,

I was hoping it would just resolve itself so I waited.

Now I've waited long enough (~ 3 months).

I have **a lot** of notes. Since the full text search was implemented for notes somewhere last year I think, it was not that slow. But a few months ago, did you guys change something that make it awfully slow?

I would do a search, and still see my search results updating 3 sec later. Previously it was almost instantaneous. I perform searches in my notes several times a day. This is very extremely tedious for me.

Given I have a lot of notes, search is the only way for me to find my notes.

If this is a complex fix, can we at least have an option to only search in the note title to speed up the search? If the user do not find anything, then the user will do again the same search enabling full text search.

Thanks for either fixing this slow note search or consider my suggestion to allow note title search only as an alternative to speed up note search.
Long Vu

• Long Vu
  • Posted: May 02, 2016
Sorry to revive an old thread but it's related.

Is it possible to also enable Arrow Up/Down, in addition to Page Up/Down, to scroll long notes? Will help me make less "miss-click" that put me in edit mode when I do not actually want to edit.

Thanks.
Long Vu

• Long Vu
  • Posted: Mar 31, 2016
Posted by Jake:
Yes, we will fix pageup/pagedwn.

Confirmed Page Up/Down fixed. Thanks.
Long Vu

• Long Vu
  • Posted: Mar 31, 2016
Posted by Jake:
It sounds like you changed your sort by accident. You can fix this by looking in the blue toolbar above your todo list and find the "sort" section. If you switch the first sort to "Importance", I think that is what you want.

Oh ! True, the sort order for Hotlist was somehow at "Distance". Changing it back to "Importance" restored the ordering I expected.

Sorry for that. Not sure how I did it. I was probably trying to click the search icon and managed to miss-click on the sort icon below it instead.
Long Vu

• Long Vu
  • Posted: Mar 28, 2016
Tasklist hotlist in browser used to be sorted by relevance (ex: "top priority" task that has the due date in the future is still lower than "high priority" that is already overdue, "starred" task have higher ranking than non "starred", task with "Next Action" or " Active" status have higher ranking and so on).

This "sort by relevance" used in the "hotlist" view is highly useful and is almost the same sorting order as the Android app.

It is now only sorted by priority (all "top priority" regardless of their due date is displayed first, then followed by all "high priority" and so on).

Please restore the old hotlist "ordering by relevance".
Long Vu

• Long Vu
  • Posted: Mar 28, 2016
Posted by Long Vu:
Posted by Jake:
1) You can still select text and copy and paste without entering edit mode. If you accidentally click instead of click+drag to select text, you will enter edit mode where you can continue to select text and copy/paste. There is no worry of accidentally editing your note because you have to click the "Save" button for any of the edits to become permanent. So even if you accidentally edited the note when you were trying to copy/paste, those edits won't be saved.

Agreed, this an acceptable work-around but now it'll cost an additional "click to cancel edit mode" after a miss-click. I guess I'll slowly get used to be more precise with my mouse.

One of the reason I "miss-click a lot and put me in edit mode when I only want to read my note" is because PgUp/PgDown do not work anymore in the new layout !

When I have a long note, I have to use the mouse to scroll now ! As a heavy keyboard user, this is pretty annoying. Please restore PgUp and PgDown to scroll the notes in the new note layout.

Looks like the same regression (lost Arrow/Page Up/Down when new tasklist layout was released), see https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/21313/-98007/read.html#jump

This message was edited Mar 28, 2016.
Long Vu

• Long Vu
  • Posted: Mar 23, 2016
Posted by Jake:
1) You can still select text and copy and paste without entering edit mode. If you accidentally click instead of click+drag to select text, you will enter edit mode where you can continue to select text and copy/paste. There is no worry of accidentally editing your note because you have to click the "Save" button for any of the edits to become permanent. So even if you accidentally edited the note when you were trying to copy/paste, those edits won't be saved.

Agreed, this an acceptable work-around but now it'll cost an additional "click to cancel edit mode" after a miss-click. I guess I'll slowly get used to be more precise with my mouse.

2) Currently, when you do a search, it shows the matching notes sorted by however you have them sorted. I think what we may do in the future is to instead sort the found notes by "relevance" and if the search matched the title it would have more relevance than if the search matched the contents. This would make notes with a matching title appear closer to the top, which I think will make it similar to what you want, while still keeping the improved search for everyone else.

Agreed, with sort by relevance and give title match higher relevance will solve my "false positive search result" problem.

For users with lots of notes like me, relevant search result is crucial. Thanks for finding this alternative.
Long Vu

• Long Vu
  • Posted: Mar 23, 2016
Posted by Salgud:

Unfortunately for some, software must move forward.

Totally agree with this statement. Software must move forward ... if done right and do not leave old loyal users in the cold.

Let's take a concrete example. You own a bunch of old but completely functional USB 1.1 and 2.0 devices. They can still be plugged into USB 3.0 and working fine, simply at lower speed per 1.1 and 2.0 specifications, so you do not have to throw these old USB devices to the garbage.

I'd say this is improvement done right.

Understandably, this can not go on forever and USB-C will break that backward compatibility but at least it shows some effort has been made and we have been able to enjoy this backward compatibility for a while.
Long Vu

• Long Vu
  • Posted: Mar 22, 2016
The new note layout (click to edit, search all content at once) has been rolled out for a few days.

I actually prefer the old layout/behavior, here is why:

- most of the time, I just want to copy/paste my note, not edit it. But if I miss click, it'll put me in edit mode and I can accidentally modify my note. With the old behavior, I stay in read-only mode until I explicitly click on "edit".

- when searching, I actually like it that it first search *only* the note title and then, if I need, also search note content. I write my note title carefully so I can find them later. So searching the content immediately will return too many false positive unrelated results, aka spam.

So for these above reasons, please have an option for users to still keep the old behavior. I am okay with the new look and feel, I just prefer the old "behavior".

Thanks.
Long Vu

Posted Mar 16, 2016 in: Toodledo in offline mode
  • Long Vu
  • Posted: Mar 16, 2016
Posted by Adrien Beau:

Posted by Long Vu:
Having a real distinct standalone desktop client and you never have to worry about all this because all the processes/data are all isolated.

You have to worry about a crash just the same. And you have to worry about someone hacking your computer and getting access to the data.

Agreed but it's not at the same level.

Some other site crash the browser and indirectly affect "offline toodledo" is at a different level than some other apps crash the entire OS indirectly affecting the standalone Toodledo desktop client and all other running apps for that matter.

Same can be said for the hacking part. Some rogue site with some cross-site attack to access data of other site opened in the same browser session is not at the same level as the entire OS compromised and leaking data of all installed apps.

I would say it is easier for a browser to be hacked (just navigate to some rogue site and voila). Whereas for an entire OS to be hacked, there must be some additional deliberate actions from the user (open email attachment, agree to execute some programs, physically connect infected usb key to his computer ... doing this while having admin priviledge so the virus can gain full access to the entire OS)

I understand you already have the web development expertise in house so it is easier to justify the offline browser route instead of a real standalone desktop client route.

Lack of resource is a very legit reason too. I am not saying offline browser is a bad idea. I am just bring up alternative (standalone desktop client) and comparing it with offline browser mode.

At the end of the day, if you have a hardended offline browser mode that address my concerns, I am happy too. I just want an even better Toodledo experience. Been a satisfied customer so far, I just find it missing the last piece of the puzzle: offline mode for desktop because when I am on the road with my laptop, I have to access my offline toodledo tasks and notes using my phone and it's no fun.
Long Vu

Posted Mar 15, 2016 in: Lost Note update yesterday
  • Long Vu
  • Posted: Mar 15, 2016
Posted by Jake:
In the future we will present a warning when you are trying to edit a note that has been changed somewhere else, but we don't have this functionality yet.

Oh please add it. This feature would have saved me !
Long Vu

Posted Mar 15, 2016 in: Toodledo in offline mode
  • Long Vu
Previously used http://taskunifier.sourceforge.net/ for offline desktop app ... until it became abandonware (the only dev stopped working on it).

It worked quite well. I stopped using it because I do not want any synchronization problem if ever Toodledo change and the app is not updated (I might be too paranoid).

Instead of trying to have a offline mode for the desktop website, how about Toodledo continue the maintenance of this taskunifier (that is in Java so completely cross-platform)?

I much prefer real standalone desktop client than coercing a webapp to be offline. If some other website crash my browser, will the "offline Toodledo" survive? If I need to wipe my browser config/profile to erase all trace of all the cruft accumulated by other sites, will "offline toodledo" survive? While logged into the "offline toodledo", and browsing to other sites, can the other sites see all my toodledo data?

There are probably defensive mechanism for all this but you have to pay attention to them. Having a real distinct standalone desktop client and you never have to worry about all this because all the processes/data are all isolated.

Just my 2 cents.
Long Vu

Posted Mar 15, 2016 in: Lost Note update yesterday
  • Long Vu
Last night I was updating some of my notes via Firefox on a another computer.

This morning I am back to my regular computer with Firefox already logged in and want to continue working on the same note.

After a few edits to the same note, I realized all my updates to this same note yesterday are all gone !!!

Did I do something wrong?

Is there a bug with the web interface when simultaneously editing on multiple browser/machine the same note?

Can someone help me recover my updates yesterday (to another note otherwise there will be conflict)?

How to prevent this from happening again? (is there versioning on notes?)

Thanks.

This message was edited Mar 15, 2016.
Long Vu

Posted Aug 27, 2015 in: Scrolling difficulties
  • Long Vu
  • Posted: Aug 27, 2015
Looks like the scrolling issue is fixed. I can now use arrow up/down and page up/down to scroll my tasklist on by desktop browser.

Thanks for the quick fix.
Skip to Page:  1   2      Next