ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by DavidSzp"
DavidSzp

Posted Jul 03, 2009 in: Toodledo in Spiceworks IT system
Score: 0
  • DavidSzp
  • Posted: Jul 03, 2009
  • Score: 0
Spiceworks is a free (ad-supported) computer network inventory and helpdesk tool for systems and network administrators. It's been around for a while. They have a Dashboard feature (similar to how iGoogle works) for showing information from their system but you can also set up plugins to pull in other content, such as Twitter, into the same dashboard.

I added a Toodledo plugin since there was already a RTM plugin, and I use Toodledo :-) If you use Spiceworks, the plugin is here: http://community.spiceworks.com/plugin/103 and it's easy to install, and basically adds the Slim Toodledo version into a dashboard widget. If you don't use Spiceworks, it won't really matter to you :-)

I'm not the biggest fan of Spiceworks either and I don't use the Helpdesk system they have (they didn't have a helpdesk when I first started using them), but I use it as an additional tool for information at my day job.

Other than as an occasional user, I'm not affiliated with Spiceworks at all, and this is just an FYI.
DavidSzp

Posted Jul 03, 2009 in: A few tweaks for reminders
  • DavidSzp
  • Posted: Jul 03, 2009
I haven't looked closely but if I set up default reminders, I'd like them only if there was a due date AND time set, but not if it was just a due date.
DavidSzp

Posted Jun 24, 2009 in: Customizable reminders/alarms
  • DavidSzp
  • Posted: Jun 24, 2009
Awesome news on the new reminder service! However, I'd like to request some keyboard shortcuts for the reminders if they don't already exist. However, I'd rather not add them to the tab-list, it already takes two Tabs to get past each date/time popup (which is fine) and adding two more would make it unmanageable (for checkbox and reminder timeframe).

Instead, what about an accelerator key? Maybe pressing Ctrl+R when in the date/time field would toggle the box and something else would make the reminder time active? Not sure what's best, I'd just rather only be able to activate the two with the keyboard when I wanted to (since I actually use reminders rarely...or anticipate using them rarely at least, that could change :-) Just using a particular letter key won't work since typing in the date and time fields is freeform. I could see pressing Ctrl once to "tab" to the checkbox and again to get to the time setting...or Ctrl toggles the checkbox and automatically moves cursor to the reminder time field? Ctrl again would un-check the box and move back to date or time field. Just brainstorming :-) I'm not sure what keys you can capture with JavaScript anyway, maybe that's limiting.
DavidSzp

Score: 2
  • DavidSzp
  • Posted: Jun 11, 2009
  • Score: 2
I came here to find I've been beaten to the punch by a bunch of people already! Most have said what I was going to. Basically, downtime happens, it was handled very well (I saw Amazon EC2 went down too, can happen to anyone!) and the fact that there was no data loss is excellent. I'll echo someone else who said (as a Pro user) that I won't be asking for any refunds, and I do appreciate the month credit but I'd have stayed without it.

This is the first outage I've seen for Toodledo since I signed up sometime last year, outside of planned maintenance and a few times that connections were flaky for a few minutes (more network than server issues I'm sure) late at night here and there. That's an excellent track record, and if anything, the things you've changed and learned from this downtime makes a repeat performance that much more unlikely to happen again!

The only thing I can think that would be more disaster-proof is having a real-time slave replicated to an entirely different datacenter in another part of the country, but that would increase costs in bandwidth and other areas.

Thanks again and good job!

(Forgot to mention so I'm editing: Great job on communication, the updates on the homepage were great and detailed, and your explanation here on the forums was excellent. I love working with people who are honest about their mistakes and provide the details--details mainly out of my own technical curiosity :-)

This message was edited Jun 11, 2009.
DavidSzp

Posted May 05, 2009 in: Call Contact from task
  • DavidSzp
  • Posted: May 05, 2009
Very cool, I've been using Appigo Todo and haven't had time to beta test the Toodledo app in a while although it was fun when I had time. But I like having options so I recently bought the Toodledo app outright as well. Definitely have seen some improvements and I'm looking forward to seeing what else is coming!
DavidSzp

Posted Apr 20, 2009 in: Looking To Store Secure Passwords
  • DavidSzp
  • Posted: Apr 20, 2009
I would recommend a ready-made service for such a thing, like http://www.passpack.com (I'm an enthusiastic user). Much better than a general-purpose todo/notebook system, which is admittedly great for tons of stuff! But there is no encryption system in Toodledo outside of transferring it to your browser. PassPack doesn't even have access to your data on their own server, it's all encrypted/decrypted right in your browser.
DavidSzp

• DavidSzp
  • Posted: Apr 20, 2009
Posted by Toodledo:
Today we have made a few adjustments to the way the new date-picker and keyboard commands work.

The collective changes mentioned here caused me to let out a big sigh of relief. Everything is right with the world. Except for all the actual items on my todo list waiting to be done...ah well, at least I can focus on those now :-)

Thanks!
DavidSzp

Posted Apr 19, 2009 in: Updates to due dates and start dates
  • DavidSzp
  • Posted: Apr 19, 2009
One small thing...if I edit a date on an existing task, and save the entry (move off the calendar with mouse or hit Enter), the "N" key doesn't create a new task unless I move focus elsewhere.
DavidSzp

• DavidSzp
  • Posted: Apr 19, 2009
As many things as are on the "todo" list (pun intended :-) I would like to throw in a vote for making Date Completed editable. I often don't check things off until I review tasks the next day (even if it's just after midnight) and I'd like to be able to make the completion date accurate in some cases to make reports/history more accurate. It could just be a regularly-editable field allowing any past date to be entered, in the History view or something simple like that, as another column.
DavidSzp

Posted Apr 18, 2009 in: Updates to due dates and start dates
  • DavidSzp
  • Posted: Apr 18, 2009
And hey, don't think I didn't notice that my request for "tom" be a shorthand abbreviation for "tomorrow" when typing a date was implemented, thanks a bunch!
DavidSzp

Posted Apr 18, 2009 in: Updates to due dates and start dates
  • DavidSzp
  • Posted: Apr 18, 2009
Posted by Toodledo:
Here is how I understand it. There are two types of people. Mouse people and Keyboard people.

The keyboard people can use tab or return to save the date. There has been a request for shift-tab to move backwards. There was also a request to make the add-task form not lose keyboard focus when pressing return on a date. We plan to fix both of these issues. Otherwise, keyboard people are pretty happy.

The mouse people are a little bothered that they have to move the mouse all the way outside of the date picker box for it to go away and save the results. If you exclusively use a mouse, editing dates is slower now. The solution that we are prototyping is to support double clicking on a date to instantly set it and make the date box go away.

I use both mouse and keyboard extensively, and I think you've addressed both better than I could have said myself (although I tried). You obviously heard correctly! I just noticed the lack of Shift-Tab ability tonight and came here to see it was on the list.

Also, when I click a date, I'd like the date to be highlighted in the edit box so I can type over it, right now I have to (in Chrome) highlight the date with keyboard or mouse to change it by typing. This pushes me toward using the mouse to select from the calendar or quick links for speed, but I'd like the option of either being equally as handy!

Keep up the good work Jake (for the person wondering who was behind Toodledo--it's already around the forums here already if you look hard enough (if I recall correctly)) so I don't feel I'm revealing a secret :-)
DavidSzp

Posted Apr 17, 2009 in: Apps you use on a daily basis
  • DavidSzp
  • Posted: Apr 17, 2009
I use Toodledo every day and others I vacillate between. I guess part of the reason I paid for a Pro account is so I'd have an excuse not to change to the next new service I found that looked cooler...my wife is only OK with spending the money if I use the account :-)

However, I've also paid for Jott.com so I can use the iPhone app to easily shoot new todo items to Toodledo. No fields set but the task title, sadly, but it gets it into Appigo Todo where I can update it. But I can rapid-fire tasks off to Jott faster than I could ever type (esp. on my iPhone; I'd forget all the rest by the time I finished one!). I paid for 10 minutes of time, I think it was $10, and it never expires. Most tasks are 3-6 seconds long I've noticed, so the time has lasted quite a while so far, and I don't have to worry about "not using it enough" to make a monthly subscription worth it. At some point if I use it enough, monthly make make more financial sense. But 10 minutes makes a lot of todos and isn't all that expensive even on my meager budget!

I literally use Jott only from the iPhone app (the new one) and only to send items to Toodledo with the link. I could use it for more, but that would separate from Toodledo and make things harder! I may use it as a notepad occasionally (or maybe to tweet in a hurry) at some point but so far I haven't (OK I did post a test tweet to Twitter once, it worked well).

This message was edited Apr 17, 2009.
DavidSzp

Posted Apr 17, 2009 in: Updates to due dates and start dates
  • DavidSzp
  • Posted: Apr 17, 2009
So far I'm overall liking most of the stuff with the new datetime controls, but I'm running into a few workflow issues. For one, in Chrome 1.0.154.43 (current) and Firefox 3.0.8 both, when I add a new task (start and end date and time enabled), I generally tab through the fields to set them all. However, after I've tabbed past date and time, it closes the field properly but I can never Shift+Tab to a prior field. I can back up with Shift+Tab to the date field but I can never cycle back to the prior field. I use this all the time to adjust fields by Tabbing/Shift+Tabbing back and forth through all the fields in a new task and it's frustrating to get "stuck."

On a more minor note, the quick picks make things faster and more logical within each task, but I used to click once on the due date or click on a new date with the mouse, and move on to the next. The amount of mousework required to move off the control just to close it and get to the date for a task underneath is slowing me down a lot where I'm trying to go down the list and quickly update a whole bunch of items in a row with new dates. My first issue is the biggest however.

Like I said overall I like the concept of the new controls and (and 24-hour time!) and I'm looking forward to your tweaks, I know it's brand new! Also if you can get it to recognize "tom" as short for "tomorrow" it would save my fingers some needless typing :-)
DavidSzp

• DavidSzp
  • Posted: Mar 22, 2009
The new upgrades are awesome, thanks! I actually was looking up to see if I could set tags via email for a message I was sending tonight to create a task, just a few minutes ago. I didn't think it was possible but I checked the help page (which I've used before) and noticed that I could do tagging and a whole lot else I thought I couldn't do! I wondered when this had been released, so I heaaded here to the forums. And, I also happened to look at the Connections screen and noticed all the changes. Funny to be coming to the forum to confirm new stuff; I guess usually I look at the forum to see what new stuff I should keep an eye out for!

Also, I don't think I'd use the "star task via email" option (suggested by m.genzel) but I'd suggest ** as the keyword for doing so, BTW. And I like the idea of marking complete via email--reminds me a bit of IWantSandy which I used for a short while. I use the web and iPhone apps too much to make that very useful for me most of the time though. I stopped using IWantSandy because I already have enough emails to deal with...my goal is to get emails into Toodledo so they don't stay in my inbox if I have to do something with them, not keep my task list AND emails in my inbox! Outlook is for feeding the todo list monster! :-)

Anyway, thanks again for the updates. Good stuff.
DavidSzp

Posted Feb 26, 2009 in: Contexts on iPhone?
  • DavidSzp
  • Posted: Feb 26, 2009
Posted by corysimek:
1) I use Toodledo about 99 percent of the time on my phone, I just check in once a week via the web page and clean things up, copy and paste stuff if need be. I like working with contexts, and assign contexts when on the web page. But unless I am doing something wrong, I have no idea how to sort by context on my iphone?

I know it's not the preferred "Toodledo" answer now that they have the Toodledo iPhone app of their own :-) but Appigo Todo on the iPhone does let you filter by context for any task view (and/or by tag or set of tags as well). It's really quite an awesome interface if you work that way. They also have the ability to hide completed tasks but keep them on the phone forever but I don't think it works the other way around yet. It's also $10, but that's a one-time price. They are missing other features like subtasks though, so you do have to pick and choose what's most useful to you...no reason you can't use and sync with both apps though; I do!
DavidSzp

Score: 5
  • DavidSzp
  • Score: 5
I'll second that I miss a way to select multiple tasks from any view. I'd really like to be able to check 4-5 tasks and update the due date for example, without creating a search (which is what I've done for now). I don't have a good UI answer; I like the checkboxes being used to complete a task. I'd say clicking elsewhere on the task could select the task, but that's already used for editing fields (although there's space between fields). What about Control-Clicking anywhere on the task but the checkbox? Could that do a color change to "highlight selected" with each Ctrl+Click? Just a thought. There's gotta be an obvious way to do it without changing existing functionality...and it would be an awesome management feature!
DavidSzp

Posted Feb 26, 2009 in: Same tasks every day for each client
  • DavidSzp
Clicking the "To-Do List" link in the menu at the left refreshes the view including the task counts for each tab. Clicking the tab name refreshes that page but doesn't update the task count. I'm not sure if an explicit Refresh or auto-refresh would be all that much more useful, but it's an interesting thought.
DavidSzp

Posted Nov 18, 2008 in: Set a default status for new tasks?
  • DavidSzp
  • Posted: Nov 18, 2008
Request seconded!
DavidSzp

Posted Sep 22, 2008 in: Review of Toodledo
  • DavidSzp
  • Posted: Sep 22, 2008
I have reviewed Toodledo on my blog in a new post called My Tasks, Projects and Stuff (now playing: Toodledo) if anyone is interested. It's just over 3,000 words long (possibly my longest post ever!) and includes some bunny trails on project management, but the focus is on Toodledo. Toodledo staff: if this link is inappropriate feel free to delete my post. My blog is non-profit (just like my job) and I think the review is balanced.

~David Szpunar
Network & Systems Manager
Lakeview Church
DavidSzp

Posted Sep 22, 2008 in: LifeHacker To Do Manger Poll
  • DavidSzp
  • Posted: Sep 22, 2008
That is some history I was unaware of in regards to RTM. However, regardless of when the iPhone webapp was developed, I started to use it recently just before I found Toodledo and the biggest selling point for me was the iPhone interface, which they say does require a Pro account, at higher rates than Toodledo. Thus, Toodledo. (Ironically, although I didn't want to pay for RTM I found Toodledo so useful I purchased a Pro account anyway! But you get other stuff like subtasks, sharing, SSL, stats and other features with the Pro accounts here at least, which makes it an easier sell to me, especially for the price.)
Skip to Page:  1   2      Next