ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Disorganised"
Disorganised

Score: 0
Posted by Salgud:
Hope it works for you, Dis. Be careful of the ultimate Task Manager trap, overuse of Due/Start dates. I fallen into it many times myself by putting in Due Dates just to bring them to my attention at some point, but on which the task was not really due. Big trouble. You end up endlessly changing Due Dates just like you been doing with Statuses.

Best of luck!

Thanks Salgud. I agree, that's something that I intend to clear up as I'm guilty too, but I tend to only use start dates as 'ticklers'. I never use due dates in to-do apps because definite dates are exclusively for the calendar

Posted by Salgud:
Posted by Disorganised:
Ah I see - so for your next actions, they're where you seem to place all your scheduled tasks. I notice that you make use of the hotlist feature extensively, and I think that's an idea I can take away. I'd never really bothered with it before.

I hope I was clear that I use my own Hotlist, not the one that comes with TD. This gives me a tremendous amount of flexibility to do as I described.

I'm not sure if the Ultimate Todo list app one is the same as the TD one

Posted by coolexplorer:
I use Ultimate Task Manager Android Apps "Start date" with "Persistent Reminder" on mobile to Jog me on the Important&Urgent tasks to be done. Unfortunately the "Start date" reminder alarm does not sync with the TD web page (only "Due date" alarms do). I still use it though and UTM has a wonderful 2-way sync with my Google Calendar and Custom Views.
I am looking at you TD. ;)

Thats an idea. Thanks! It would save me from having to enter ticklers all the time which end up orphaned throughout my to do list when the dates have gone

This message was edited Jun 12, 2015.
Disorganised

Posted Jun 09, 2015 in: Seeking advice for using contexts
Hey Korey
I read an illuminating article some time ago that you may like to look at by some guy who suggested an alternative to 'traditional' contexts. Personally I initially found using @home, @work, @phone, @pc, etc a bit uneasy because many/most tasks can be done anywhere(or in more than one context) due to the ubiquity of smartphones(I can work, shop, and even have meetings from my startphone) and flexible working etc.

He suggested replacing the traditional geographical/utility contexts with time/energy contexts such as "hanging around", "full focus", "thinking" etc

This is the article anyway: http://simplicitybliss.com/blog/a-fresh-take-on-contexts

I've used a modified system to the above where I use:

-Full focus (long tasks where I have to concentrate)

-Hanging Around (lazy but long tasks)

-Short dashes (quick tasks. I don't bother to differentiate between short dashes and braindead because for quick tasks it doesn't really matter about how much energy they need)

-Thinking (anything I have to decide on or anything that I'm uncertain about how to go about it)

-Trips (brief errands, long trips, and basically anything outside of the house except going to work. Even 'go jogging for 30 minutes' gets put in here)

-messaging (everything that I want to mention to people goes in here. I gave this it's own 'context' because then I can see at a glance everyone I have to contact, and also because there are so many ways of contacting someone whether it be speaking on the phone, emailing, bumping into them in the street or at work, or passing on a message to them via an associate, etc)

-awareness (this is the last one I've added and I'm still not certain about it. This is for things that i want/need to keep mindful of such as keeping an eye out for a new bike in the paper or shop window ads etc. Everything in this 'contexts' are things that I dip my toes into now and again where I could spend any amount of time on and usually have to be repeated at variable and unpredictable intervals)

I think overall the best system is the most simple because otherwise you spend more time organising your GTD system and less time doing tasks.

Hope this helps anyway

This message was edited Jun 09, 2015.
Disorganised

Ah I see - so for your next actions, they're where you seem to place all your scheduled tasks. I notice that you make use of the hotlist feature extensively, and I think that's an idea I can take away. I'd never really bothered with it before.

I'm thinking now that I may not need to put all scheduled tasks into "none" status because Ultimate To Do List in Android allows you to create custom 'views' enabling me to see them all at a glance, so I think that will be a cleaner way to go about it. I like your idea of using start/due dates together with the hotlist to be alerted to upcoming tasks rather than relying on the status as I've done.

I think I'll try and work with those ideas. Thanks a lot bud! :)

This message was edited Jun 08, 2015.
Disorganised

Score: 1
I hear ya about Next Action, but you and I currently use status in different ways. Your system seems to be project based where each task in the project is given a next action status, even if it's months away.

I'm using status as being time dependent. This is how I'm using each of the statuses

-"none" - (currently) I'm using this for scheduled tasks but it's just a hack so I want to change it

-"next action" - tasks I want to do 'soon'

-"active" - tasks which are either ongoing or tasks that i plan to do now and again(eg "look through buy and sell for a bike". This is a task which I may do whenever I come across across a local 'buy and sell' magazine or maybe if I look online. It's not something that a do once and then tick off as complete)

-"planning" - i'm contemplating about doing them soon

-"waiting" - I'm waiting for something unpredictable outside of my control to happen such as a received phone call to make an appointment, a successful job interview, getting a promotion, etc.

-"hold" - Ive purposely put the task on hold until whenever, but I definitely want to do the task in the very near future.

-"someday" - these are either a brain dump for stuff I may or may not do (eg take up a martial art), tasks which are actually projects and I haven't yet decided to process them (eg take up a martial art)

salgud, I'm quite keen to explore your idea of using start dates as ticklers(I assume that's what you mean) along with statuses. What statuses do you use beside "next action" and how do you use them?

Thanks in adcance
Disorganised

I think you guys have got a good point! I seem to be constantly moving tasks from one status to another, so it's kinda like spending more time organising my tasks than actually completing them.

I'm always looking to simplify so maybe I can find something similar that works for me.

The only problem I've found is when I use contexts or tags instead of status to separate the tasks is that it's more difficult to use subtasks (i like to have the pproject name with the subtasks all indented underneath so that I can see what needs to be done at a glance).

Thanks for your input!

This message was edited Jun 02, 2015.
Disorganised

What does everyone else use?

Currently I'm using the status "none" in Ultimate To do list on Android because none of the other statuses seem appropriate. I mean, say that you decide to create a task to make an appointment for the doctors for next week, and for the sake of argument you put it under the "waiting"(because you're waiting for that time" to come around) status. If you forget to check through your waiting and deferred tasks for that week you may miss it because it's not in the "next action" status (toodledo doesn't seem to have a way to automatically change the status of tasks depending on their start/due date, so it means that we have to keep on eye on each of the scheduled tasks and change their status manually)

There's also the problem with recurring (scheduled) tasks. Imagine you have a task that recurs monthly. When it's a month away it may well be given the status "waiting" and then "next action" when it's couple of days before it's due, but isn't this a tedious way to go about it to continually have to change it's status from "waiting" to "next action" and back again, ad infinitum?

Are there any plans to have a "scheduled" status? Then we can have all our scheduled tasks all under 1 status rather than being all over the place, and eliminate the need to continually keep an eye on the due/start dates to change it's status

Thanks

This message was edited May 31, 2015.
Disorganised

Posted Feb 17, 2015 in: Toodledo Redesign Plans
Posted by Jake:
We are considering adding upgrades via in-app purchase to both our Android and iOS app, but I do not have an ETA at this time. You can purchase them on this website in the meantime.

Ok thanks
Disorganised

Posted Feb 17, 2015 in: Toodledo Redesign Plans
Jake, any future prospect of implementing in-app purchases in the Android app to allow us to upgrade to silver/gold/etc?

This message was edited Feb 17, 2015.
Disorganised

Posted Feb 16, 2015 in: Toodledo Redesign Plans
Maybe an idea to allow IAP(in-app purchases) for the Android Toodledo app so that we can easily upgrade to premium
Disorganised

Posted Jan 24, 2015 in: A more mobile friendly toodledo forum
I notice that this has been addressed. Thank you to Jake and the team!
Disorganised

Posted Dec 11, 2014 in: A more mobile friendly toodledo forum
Score: -1
Hey there
I was wondering if it's possible to ask for the forum to be made more mobile friendly. The problem is that whereas most website contain code that detects when you're reading on a mobile and reflows the text accordingly, toodledo doesn't.

I've just been trying to read one of the threads on my LG G2 and this is the sequence of events I went through to read a thread ;)

SCROLL RIGHT, SCROLL RIGHT, SCROLL RIGHT , SCROLL RIGHT, SCROLL RIGHT
SCROLL LEFT, SCROLL LEFT, SCROLL LEFT , SCROLL LEFT, SCROLL LEFT

And that's just to read about 30 sentences - I hadn't even read half the first page. My fingers were exhausted at the end. Pretty please, please fix.

edit - this shows how a website normally behaves when I zoom in to read the text
http://imgur.com/n0vsgxa.jpg

This is what happens on toodldo forum so you know what I mean when I say that the text doesn't reflow, which means that people have to scroll scroll scroll..........
http://imgur.com/ZmfgkM6.jpg

This message was edited Dec 11, 2014.
Disorganised

Posted Sep 02, 2013 in: GTD, Toodledo and 2DO
How much do you want to use 2do? The reason why i'm asking is that, from memory, it didn't seme to be a very TD compatible app.

I bought and used 2do for about an hour before uninstalling it haha. I didn't like the layout because it was a) too iphone-ish and b) the app makes poor use of screen real estate (those calandar/list tabs on the left hand side need to be wayyyyy smaller than they are)

There's much better TD compatible apps in gogole play such as these, and that will be closer to the paradigm you describe there:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.customsolutions.android.utl
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dg.gtd.android.lite
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fractalcoder.everytask
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.webis.pitrial

I use ultimate todo bewcause it's the most flexible found so far. It allows you to customise how you want to use it because it lets you choose which 'fields'(eg contexts, subfolders, projects, starred items, etc) that you want included and which you don't want included, and that will help your greatly with what you're wanting.

Sorry if i couldn't help directly with 2DO

This message was edited Sep 02, 2013.
Disorganised

I use Ultimate To Do on Android and completed tasks don't belhave as completed tasts(eg it still shows up where it shouldn't in searches etc. Completed tasks should ONLY show up in the 'Completed tasks' section), so i just delete tasks as soon as they're completed

Otherwise, i think the most logical way is to assign it no status, as ahas been mentioned above.

This message was edited Aug 15, 2013.
Disorganised

Hi Tristan
I use "next action" for somethign that is a task that can be completed within, say, a day, and use "active" for when it's ongoing.

For example, i would use "next action" for something like sending an email to Mr Bloggs, but i would use "active" for writing a university assignment because it's something that i will do a bit at a time over a long period of time.

I also use "next action" if i want to bring a particular task to the front of the queue in my todo list to give me a reminder that i want to complete it soon (even if i don't).
Disorganised

Posted Mar 04, 2013 in: Any update on multi contexts?
Thanks but i don't think so. It just makes the system look ugly. my temporary solution is to have a "Multi" context

This message was edited Mar 04, 2013.
Disorganised

Posted Mar 04, 2013 in: Any update on multi contexts?
Hi all
I'm sure it's been at least a few years since this was suggested, and i'm surprised it hasn't already because it's so central to the toodledo model

I only have a few contexts:
-Brain (all thinking, outlook, decisions, blah blah goes here)
-Out (everythign that doesn't include work or home. Includes errands etc)
-Work
-Home
-Computer (this includes phone, making calls/emails, online stuff etc)
-Multi (this is a temp solution)

Despite my contexts being really general, if i want to enter in a task which has multiple subtasks then i can't. The task/project with multiple subtasks is "Sort out uni fees", which includes the contexts "Out"(go to post office to send off forms), "Home"(get birth certificate) and "Computer"(contacts necessary people).

It's hardly worth putting that as a folder because then it won't show up on my widget (i have an Android using Ultimate To Do List) with the associated subtasks written clearly underneath them. It's important that it's shown on my widget as follows, and this is only possible if "Sort out uni fees" is a task:

Sort out uni fees
-Contacts Jim
-Go next door and ask to fill in ID forms
-Get birth certificate
-Visit post office and send off

2 questions:
1) When are multiple contexts going to be implemented?
(and please don't suggest tags :D. It shouldn't have to be a workaround for something that should have been implemented in the very beginning. I already use tags for general areas such as education, career, communication, personal, domestic, etc)
2) What's the point of having subtasks if multiple contexts aren't allowed?
The parent tasks is more likely than not to have multiple contexts

This message was edited Mar 04, 2013.
Disorganised

Posted Jun 15, 2012 in: The 'thought' context
Posted by Salgud:

Yours is the reverse of mine, and which I'll consider if I start having more situations where I have many things to discuss with each person.

The reverse?

This message was edited Jun 15, 2012.
Disorganised

Posted Jun 15, 2012 in: The 'thought' context
Posted by Canyon Russell:
I don't use this mainly because 'decide' is rarely the next action for me. When ever it looks like a 'decide' action is next I ask myself "why haven't I already made this decision?" The answer usually comes down to finding another piece of info, talking to someone else about it, or identifying some risk around the decision that I need to deal with.

There are many problems with that approach
1) Some people have to make lots of decisions in a short space of time, so breaking each and every one into step by step actions is just cluttering up the GTD system.
2) Deciding what i want the next uni assignment to be about, for example, i don't need to do any action other than find a quiet place to think.
3) Most decisions are not huge projects, which is what your approach is best suited to.

A decision needs to be done and needs to be in the next action section. Even for large projects for which you seem to allude to, that decision can then be broken down into their relavant parts as subtasks when they're known.

Posted by Salgud:
Haven't thought about a "Think" tag, but I do have a "Talk" tag. It's for tasks where I need to remind myself that I have to talk with someone about something,

I use something similar, but it's commonly called the 'Agenda' context (i use 'Contact' context instead). In a similar fashion to your Talk tag, i use the Contact context where each person that i want to mention something to has their own 'task'. There is a task called Rod, a task called Fiona, etc, and in the notes section of each task i put everything that i want to mention to them.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2012.
Disorganised

Posted Jun 13, 2012 in: The 'thought' context
Surely i'm not the only one that uses this.
Tasks don't always have to be physical actions that you do (eg take book to library, take bins out, speak to Fiona about this and that, etc).
What about when you have to make a decision or to think about something. For example, "Decide topic of next assignment". This isn't something that happens in a particular place or is associated with any particular person - it's an action that happens in our heads. We can take time to do this action on the way to work, at home, down the pub, or wherever. Hence, the 'Thought' or 'Brain' context

Anyone else use it?

This message was edited Jun 13, 2012.
Disorganised

Posted May 08, 2012 in: Please hire a UI Designer
Score: 1
I have to agree. The toodledo UI is one ugly mother! It's also not at all intuitive.
It desperately needs cleaning and beautifying
Skip to Page:  1   2      Next