ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by dave.erwin"
dave.erwin

Posted May 09, 2016 in: Iphone App download
Score: 0
If you have paid for the app and downloaded it on your iPad, it should be free on your iPhone. Some apps have different versions for iPad/iPhone and require you to pay for each separately, but ToodleDo doesn't.

I'd check to make sure you're logged in to the same Apple ID on both your iPad and iPhone. To do this, go to "Settings", then "iTunes & App Store". Then, at the top, it will display your Apple ID. If it's not the same ID on your iPad and iPhone, it means you're basically using two different accounts. I'd recommend making sure both of those devices are using the same Apple ID. If you really want the devices to have different Apple IDs for some reason, you could set up one of those apps to be part of your family, using iCloud settings.

I hope this helps.
dave.erwin

Posted May 06, 2016 in: Import from Wunderlist
Steven,

Great info. Thanks for sharing!
dave.erwin

Posted May 02, 2016 in: Import from Wunderlist
Steven, thanks for the tip. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts/criticisms of Wunderlist compared to ToodleDo.

I'm not planning to switch from ToodleDo anytime soon, but each time I do look around to see what else is out there, my eye always goes to Wunderlist. It looks a lot better and I know they've introduced a lot of new features since I last used it several years ago. But you'd probably have more up-to-date thoughts considering your recent switch.

Thanks in advance!
dave.erwin

Posted Mar 04, 2016 in: The Real Power of TD, Saved Searches
Posted by Salgud:
Reconsider. It's like saying, "I want to fix my car, but I don't like wrenches."

No, it's not an efficient way to fix the problem I'm having as I described in my post. To use your analogy, if I have a flat tire, I want to replace the tire with a new one. I don't want to keep patching it. It's better to fix the source of the problem than have a work-around. I'm looking for solutions to the problem I described, not suggestions to do it the hard way.
dave.erwin

Posted Mar 02, 2016 in: The Real Power of TD, Saved Searches
Here's the problem I have with saved searches: it doesn't always play nicely with subtasks.

Let's take a simple example and say that I have a Grocery List. So I have a Task "Grocery" with a due date of today. That task has three SubTasks "Peas", "Carrots" and "Apples", none of which have a due date. If I create a search that looks for:

Due Date | is | Today

...it will find the "Grocery" task, but not the three SubTasks. It will actually display a button saying "three subtasks not shown" and give me an option to manually show them, but this is obviously laborious to do for every parent task, every time the list is refreshed.

Aaahh, but you say, "you could just give your SubTasks a due date and avoid this". Not quite. Two reasons: first, if I do that, each of the SubTasks will display on it's own and look like it's own parent task. Instead of a parent and three subs, I'll have four parents. I often find myself confused because random tasks appear that I wasn't expecting, until I realize they were supposed to be part of a SubTask. Not the end of the world, but this is far from efficient. The second reason is that I might not have time to go to the grocery today and I need to change the date to tomorrow instead (this happens frequently on many of my tasks, no judging, haha). It's not too big of a deal to change that grocery date to tomorrow, but what if I had 12 SubTasks under that and I need to update the date on each of them too? What a pain! (yes I know there are ways to batch edit tasks, but I'm not really interested in that).

This has bothered me for a while. I've tried to use saved searched because I realize the power they can contain. But this quirk has made it too ineffective to rely on. Any thoughts, suggestions, commiserating?
dave.erwin

Posted Nov 13, 2015 in: Tasks Redesign (part 4)
Score: 1
Posted by Adrien Beau:
Posted by dave.erwin:
Why do we even need a "Add Task" button?

When adding a task, I always type it into the Quick Add Task field. Then it appears at the top of my list then I edit each field how ever I need to.

When adding a task, I always use the "Add Task" button. This way I can type all the fields at once without disruption. Why do we even need a Quick Add Task field?

The point of my post wasn't that we don't need an Add Task button. The point is that we don't need both buttons. Some people prefer one button, others prefer the other. I'd say ToodleDo should flip a coin and get rid of one of them. We'll all quickly adapt to the change and everyone will benefit by having less clutter in the UI.
dave.erwin

Posted Nov 10, 2015 in: Tasks Redesign (part 4)
Posted by Christoph Dollis:
Adding multiple tasks.

What do you mean by this? I greatly prefer adding multiple tasks using the Quick Add Task button. Please elaborate.
dave.erwin

Posted Nov 10, 2015 in: Tasks Redesign (part 4)
Why do we even need a "Add Task" button?

When adding a task, I always type it into the Quick Add Task field. Then it appears at the top of my list then I edit each field how ever I need to. It seems like the "Add Task" button does the same thing, just in a slightly different order. I'm all for giving people flexibility, but if the goal is to streamline the UI, it puzzles me why there would be two buttons/fields that do essentially the same thing.

But maybe there's a good reason for the "Add Task" button that I'm not aware of. FYI, I usually view my tasks in the main All Tasks view, not in saved searches or folders or whatnot. Maybe that's when it starts to make a difference.

I'd appreciate if anyone could clarify why they think both the Add Task and Quick Add Task buttons are necessary.
dave.erwin

Posted Nov 10, 2015 in: Calendar Syncing - Only starred tasks?
So, I just recently learned about Calendar syncing. It's pretty awesome and I'm trying to figure out the best way to incorporate it into my workflow. So, I enabled the calendar syncing and used the recommended "Events" link. Voila, it works as expected. FYI, I'm syncing it to the Calendars app on my iPhone.

But, now I have 500 billion tasks overflowing my calendar. I'd like to trim that back to the most important ones only to avoid information overload. I mark my most important tasks (and ones that really needed to be completed on a certain date/time) with a Star. So, I would like to configure the calendar sync so that it ONLY syncs the tasks that have a Star. Tasks that don't have a Star should not show up on my calendar.

Is there any way to do this? Thanks in advance for the assistance.
dave.erwin

Posted Oct 02, 2015 in: Appigo Todo metadata
I just contacted Appigo and had a few exchanges with Jeff Hammond over there. As I expected, they are aware of this issue but could care less about it and have no plans to address it. I had been an Todo app and Todo Cloud paying member a few years ago, but cancelled the Todo Cloud subscription because it was utter garbage and the managers at Appigo didn't seem to care. Important requests on the forums would sit ignored for years, with hundreds of people commenting but the mods would be absent. It was absolutely an atmosphere where they don't care about you at all once they have your money. So, I switched to Toodledo. But I still use the Todo app because it is much more polished. Also, the "Quick Menu" is a killer feature that I'm not willing to give up just yet. I'm crossing my fingers that the Toodledo iPhone app improves in these respects.

But, back to the current issue....I can't be the only one experiencing this. What is everyone else doing? Just ignoring it?

This is disruptive to my workflow because it creates lots of wasted space and distracting info when trying to scroll to through many tasks. Productivity tools are supposed to make you more efficient, not bog you down with distracting and useless info. Hiding the Notes field is not a good option because it is time consuming and it will remove all Notes, even useful ones.
dave.erwin

Posted Sep 29, 2015 in: Appigo Todo metadata
I use ToodleDo (Silver subscription, to support subtasks) and sync with Appigo Todo on my iPhone.

Whenever I create a Project or Checklist on Todo, it seems to use the note field for metadata with regard to projects. For example, every project has the following in the note field.

---- Task Type: Project ----
---- End Task Type ----

If I remove it, it is no longer a project. Does anyone have further information of the rules of this metadata?

Full disclosure, this post is really a resurrection of an old thread from 2011. That short thread (linked below) suggested contacting Appigo's helpful support team (haha, sure) and also blamed it on the fact that Todo wasn't supporting a new API. That was over four years ago though and there's clearly no resolution. Any ideas?
https://www.toodledo.com/forums/8/9379/0/appigo-todo-metadata.html
dave.erwin

Posted Feb 24, 2015 in: Outline - disappearing nested items
I recently started playing around with outlines. It's not completely user friendly, but not too difficult to use. However, i'm having a problem with some disappearing nested items.

I created an outline and there are a few top-level items with sub-bullets under each. I can see all of the top-level items, but can't see all of the nested items. It looks like this:

-> Types
_____Hatchback
_____SUV
-> Cars
_____Honda
_____Toyota

Well, it should look like that, but Honda and Toyota aren't visible. It actually looks like:

-> Types
_____Hatchback
_____SUV
-> Cars

I've tried everything I can think of. Toggled the triangle next to "Cars". I selected "Show all checked" from the menu bar (even though I never checked Honda and Toyota). I selected "Uncheck All" from the menu bar. I've reloaded the Toodledo tab in my browser several times.

I know that Honda and Toyota still exist because my list still reports six items. And if I close the arrow next to "Cars", it tells me two items are hidden).

Also, if I create a new item (say, Ford) and drag it to "Cars", it disappears (but my item count increases to seven).

Any thoughts?

This message was edited Feb 24, 2015.