Search results for "Posted by bandit"
bandit

Posted Mar 06, 2021 in: DISCUSS ALTERNATIVES TO TOODLEDO
Score: 0
  • bandit
  • Posted: Mar 06, 2021
  • Score: 0
Posted by Barrett_2:
Maybe we're coming about this wrong. Rather than pushing for Anant G to actually support this, maybe the thing to do is start advocating for investors to buy it. A product with a solid subscriber base is a good investment and the fact that the subscriber base is dwindling may make the price appealing to venture capitalists.

I don't have a huge follower base, but I tweeted out the idea: https://twitter.com/ba66e77/status/1368211355464069120. Would love to see others take up the call. Maybe we can find someone who will keep this alive for us.

There’s another post in this forum titled “How do we find someone to save Toodledo?” I also think this is a great idea and would love to see Toodledo saved, and thought LinkedIn might be a good way to get the “plea” out (I happen to have quite a number of connections in all areas of IT, including development). However, I have no clue about the technical aspects needed to keep it going, and others who understand that aspect are of the opinion that saving it is not feasible at this point.
bandit

Posted Mar 06, 2021 in: iOS Update - June 2020
  • bandit
  • Posted: Mar 06, 2021
Posted by tg_4:
This morning, the website was unavailable for a short time as it was undergoing maintenance.

I’m not sure if that’s good or really scary. At least (for me) it’s been working, so, at this point, I don’t want anything messed with that may end up breaking other things.
bandit

Posted Mar 04, 2021 in: DISCUSS ALTERNATIVES TO TOODLEDO
  • bandit
  • Posted: Mar 04, 2021
Posted by Ummagumma:

There's three main reasons that I went with using Due as Start:

1) It works in any task management system, even the most basic one.
2) It's easy and quick - requires less time and effort for entry, or re-scheduling, and works great with Siri (I don't even think that a start date can be added with Siri)
3) It makes the deadline a permanent text record that can't be accidentally changed.

So a typical task with deadline will look like this:

2021.03.05 Task ABC due 3/3/21

I can sort on Subject and get the list of tasks by due date, or sort on Due date & get the order of execution.

Great tip!
bandit

Posted Mar 03, 2021 in: DISCUSS ALTERNATIVES TO TOODLEDO
  • bandit
  • Posted: Mar 03, 2021
Posted by Ummagumma:
There's a cost associated with running the servers. So even if they are on autopilot with nobody taking care of customer support issues, it's not free.

I suspect they are waiting for the paid subscriptions to expire, to avoid legal issues. If there's a lease renewal coming up, they may end it there and then and perhaps issue refunds to the remaining prepaid users (being optimistic here).

In other words, the service may end at any time.

Ummagumma, thank you for this bit of education.

Posted by bandit:

In the meantime, if anyone looks up posts by user DrFrankBuck, you’ll see that he raves about, and swears by, Remember the Milk, and gives lots of good information and feedback on the app. His posts were so compelling that I’m going to give RTM a whirl.

Posted by Ummagumma:
Yes, RTM is probably the closest alternative I can think of, out of all that I tried.

I've taken a look at RTM's website, and it's very impressive. The app is rife with all sorts of features, and everything is documented (the way Toodledo is). It appears to include all the features that I am adamant about keeping, and quite a few more that sound very useful to have. Of course, to get all of the features I require (e.g.: emails can be sent to the app, custom sort options, very flexible recurring options, start and end dates, to name a few), I'll need to pay the annual subscription fee (I've been using Toodledo for free for all these years), but it seems worth it, especially if the owners/developers are active, upgrade regularly, and are responsive to users (they seem to meet all of these criteria). My way of looking at it: Paying the $39.99/yr isn't going to make me have to give up something else (e.g.: food, electricity, etc), and I'll be getting what I want. My mind is made up: I'm taking the plunge and moving to RTM. I just have to schedule the correct time to do this, as I know I'm going to need time to do the import from Toodledo and then play around with RTM to get it set up how I want it, and figure out how to use it correctly.
bandit

Posted Mar 03, 2021 in: DISCUSS ALTERNATIVES TO TOODLEDO
  • bandit
  • Posted: Mar 03, 2021
Posted by svsmailus_2:
Agreed, couldn't sign to this slack account. Slack is a poor choice for a forum, it's focus is team projects.

User mlb32704 recently created a group on Quora to discuss alternatives to Toodledo. There’s even a separate forum topic about this, and how to access it. I don’t believe it has had any/much activity yet.

In the meantime, if anyone looks up posts by user DrFrankBuck, you’ll see that he raves about, and swears by, Remember the Milk, and gives lots of good information and feedback on the app. His posts were so compelling that I’m going to give RTM a whirl.

As much as I don’t want to leave Toodledo, I just think doing so is a prudent move at this point. Of course I don’t understand the technology behind this, so I don’t know how long something like this can run OK if no one is in charge of it, but how would any of us feel if one day Toodledo just stopped working, or our data got all messed up, or we couldn’t access it at all. To me that’s a really scary thought, and without access to the info I have in Toodledo, and how much I rely on it, I don’t know how I could get through a day without it! (Okay, I’m being a bit dramatic, but I really don’t ever want to be in this situation!)
bandit

Posted Feb 26, 2021 in: DISCUSS ALTERNATIVES TO TOODLEDO
  • bandit
  • Posted: Feb 26, 2021
Posted by mlb32704:
[quote]Posted by Ummagumma:
[quote]

I'm with bandit or whoever said it last - we need someone with good intentions and deep pockets to come in, purchase Toodledo from Pink Java Media, and turn this big great ship around before it sinks. There is nothing better than Toodledo, and its user base is positive, productive, intelligent and loyal to the product. It would be a damn shame to sunset Toodledo.[/quote]

Yes, I put this out there in as a separate Fotum discussion. Maybe we need to brainstorm how we get our suggestion/wish out to the appropriate groups/individuals in the hopes someone would be interested in pursuing saving Toodledo. I’m thinking posting this in Quora and targeting appropriate people/interest groups could be a start, and I don’t think doing this would be illegal or against any rules. Does anyone have thoughts on this?
bandit

• bandit
  • Posted: Feb 26, 2021
Posted by creinhard:
I'm not familiar with quora, do I need to create an account/user?

Chris

Hi Chris. The answer is “yes”, but it’s easy. I think some people may be put off about using Quora because you have to use your actual name.

I’m fine with Quora and already joined the discussion group. I’m open to other suggestions but very much agree that it would be great to have one place for these discussions, especially since they are a good source of very helpful information, suggestions and opinions that can be shared.
bandit

Posted Feb 25, 2021 in: DISCUSS ALTERNATIVES TO TOODLEDO
  • bandit
  • Posted: Feb 25, 2021
Posted by Ummagumma:
Don't get locked down into features. Adjust the workflow. Worked for me just great.

Thanks Ummagumma. This is good advice and I will try to adjust my perspective on some things. That being said, there are some features that I really don’t want to give up (e.g.: ability to set uncompleted tasks so they automatically carry forward, ability to send/forward emails to the app so they can be added as tasks, ability to customize sort options). You may have mentioned this in a previous post (if so, I apologize for asking), but what alternative app is at the top of your list?

I was very intrigued by “Errands” that #stratavourakus had mentioned in an earlier post. The app gets really good ratings (some quite recent), but major, major, major concerns are that it hasn’t been updated in 3 years (!!!!!) and there’s no way to contact the developer at all - not even to submit a support ticket. Huge red flag and perhaps worse than, or just as bad as, the situation with Toodledo.
bandit

Posted Feb 24, 2021 in: DISCUSS ALTERNATIVES TO TOODLEDO
  • bandit
  • Posted: Feb 24, 2021
Posted by strativourakis:
The same app deveoper (Yoctoville, I think?) created a new app called "Errands"

I just looked at “Errands” and read the description. It seems very basic, but appears to have some good features and looks easy to use. Because it’s free I’ll probably download it just to try it out and so I can do a thorough comparison of functionality to Toodledo. As with all other users in this discussion, functionality in Toodledo that I really want in other apps is where it all falls apart because nothing seems to exist that meets my needs, and I’m finding it difficult to decide what I’m willing to give up.

Import capabilities is also a huge issue for me due to the volume of tasks I have in Toodledo. I don’t want something that is going to take a long time for me to set up with enough data so I can really test it, especially since I know I’m going to want to work in parallel with Toodledo until I’m sure I’ve made a decision as to which app I want to move to.

(Maybe subconsciously I’m hoping that if I hold out long enough someone will come along and save Toodledo, which is not at all a wise thing for any of us to do!)
bandit

Posted Feb 21, 2021 in: Pocket Informant
  • bandit
  • Posted: Feb 21, 2021
Posted by tg_4:
Are there any other PI users out there and if so, what are you using?

Hi tg_4. I started using Pocket Informant back in 2009 and really liked it, though I will say that back then I didn’t use the “to do” functionality anything like I ended up using Toodledo. I think back then PI may have been free and the only thing I paid for was to add the weather to the calendar, as it was an inexpensive one-time purchase and a nice thing to have. I fell off the PI wagon when they upgraded to Informant 5 (I5), and unlocking all but the basic calendar function (which is actually quite nice) cost a rather hefty annual fee. At that time I switched primarily to Google Calendar. This syncs with I5, which is great in case I ever decide to move back to I5, as all my calendar entries are in both places. (All my calendar entries are also synced to iCal. This overkill is due to paranoia from a time many years ago when, for some unknown reason, my entire PI calendar got wiped out, and no one could help get it back. I will say that PI tech support was very responsive and spent a lot of time trying to resolve the problem.) Originally I was looking for an integrated calendar and to-do list app. There are plenty out there, but none of the to-do lists in those apps lived up to Toodledo (in my opinion), so I’ve continued to maintain separate apps.

The whole thought of losing Toodledo is very stressful, as is trying to find an alternative that I’m willing to move to, as I know I’ll need to give up some Toodledo features that I love. However, maybe I’ll re-think using I5 - the annual subscription fee might be a small price to pay to offset all if the stress!

If you haven’t done so, you might want to check out the topic “Discuss Alternatives to Toodledo”, and another user set up a forum about this topic in Reddit (info provided in another forum topic).
bandit

Posted Feb 21, 2021 in: We’re Back
  • bandit
Please see the discussion “HOW DO WE FIND SOMEONE TO SAVE TOODLEDO?” In the Questions Forum.
bandit

• bandit
Toodledo is obviously an app with great features and functionality, and it would be a shame to just let it die a slow death. There are probably more users than not who are aware of what seems to be an obvious demise, as most users, unless having a severe problem, don’t go to the user forums.

How do we actively get the word out to hopefully find someone who might be interested in pursuing saving Toodledo: Quora? Reddit? LinkedIn? Something else? Perhaps a link to Toodledo’s website could be included so anyone interested could easily check it out and see what it’s about (the website has tons of information).

If those of us who are members of LinkedIn put a post out there and asked connections to “like” or “share”, perhaps through networking it would eventually land with people who would be interested to look into a possible opportunity to save it.

Is something like this feasible, or just a really dumb idea?

(Have you noticed how the Copyright date range at the bottom of Toodledo’s website is 2004-2019? So sad.)
bandit

• bandit
  • Posted: Feb 14, 2021
Posted by mlb32704:
To that end, I have taken the initiative to set up a discussion forum on Quora called "Toodledo Alternatives Discussion".

mlb32704, thank you so much for doing this!
bandit

Posted Feb 13, 2021 in: DISCUSS ALTERNATIVES TO TOODLEDO
  • bandit
  • Posted: Feb 13, 2021
Posted by mlb32704:
Side note - if and when Toodledo does shut down, it would be great if we all had some sort of external forum to continue these discussions on. I for one have found them extremely helpful over the past few months. I am certain that there are many users that have no clue what's going on, and they'll be looking for answers and alternatives, again, if and when.

UPDATE - I set up a discussion space on Quora, I will post the invitation links in a separate forum post but I think that they expire every 7 days, so it's going to be tough to get the word out whenever Toodledo does get shut down.

Thank you mlb32704 - something like this would be great! For those of us who are in this same quandary (and slight panic, for some, like me!), it’s great to be able to go to one place to share all this information and personal thoughts on the various alternatives to Toodledo. I’ve already found this one forum post to be extremely informative and helpful, and am thankful to all who have contributed such good information so far, and to others who will hopefully contribute in the future, including updates any of us might want to add as we continue our individual quests for our own “perfect” solutions.
bandit

Posted Feb 10, 2021 in: DISCUSS ALTERNATIVES TO TOODLEDO
  • bandit
  • Posted: Feb 10, 2021
Posted by SquidgyFishy:
Below is my shortlist together with my views on each one, in case this is helpful to anyone.

Hi SquidgyFishy. Thank you so much for the comprehensive list and all of your thoughts on the alternative solutions you have researched. You’ve done a lot of work that I think will be helpful to others - I know it’s helpful to me, and I am very appreciative of this! I think I’m like you in that I need to thoroughly research and compare everything before making any final decisions.

I’m also an Excel junkie and tend to put as many things as I can into spreadsheets. A while back I had thought that exporting everything from Toodledo into a .csv file was an excellent starting point for building a spreadsheet that would suit my needs. My biggest “problem” with this is that I use Toodledo almost exclusively on my iPhone (and access it many, many times throughout each day) and, while I can access Excel on my iPhone, in my opinion this is just not optimal for such heavy use. However, perhaps this is because I just need to get used to it. That being said, I’m going to take the time to build a spreadsheet and will use that in parallel with Toodledo. I’m also going to go through your comprehensive list and see if there’s anything there that may suit my needs. If I have any feedback or additional information to add, I’ll do so.

Thank you again!
bandit

Posted Feb 08, 2021 in: DISCUSS ALTERNATIVES TO TOODLEDO
  • bandit
  • Posted: Feb 08, 2021
As much as we don’t want to lose Toodledo, many of us are seeing its inevitable demise and starting to look for alternatives that meet our individual needs, so there are many posts in several forum discussions from users who have researched alternatives and have offered some very helpful information (e.g. the post titled Toodledo still alive?).

I thought it might be useful to have a discussion on just the topic of alternatives and features people like or don’t like as compared to Toodledo.

Alternatives that have been mentioned are (in no particular order): Task Angel, TickTick, Google Tasks, ToDoist, Remember the Milk, Any.do, Microsoft To Do, 2Do, Good Task, Notion, ClickUp, Nirvana, and just use of Excel (or other spreadsheet) program.

Personally, I have yet to find a replacement that has all of my favorite Toodledo features and functionality, so I’m continuing my research and will most likely have to choose which features to give up. Because of this, right now I am not yet ready to provide any opinions, but am appreciative to hear the findings and thoughts of others.

(It would be great if someone would buy Toodledo and save it!)

This message was edited Feb 08, 2021.
bandit

Posted Jan 26, 2021 in: Toodledo still alive?
  • bandit
  • Posted: Jan 26, 2021
Posted by SquidgyFishy:

I'll see if there's a way i can get a santised version i can upload. In the meantime, these two were my inspirations for design:
https://medium.com/better-humans/how-to-implement-a-killer-gtd-system-in-google-sheets-ad9c9857a8bd
https://gettingthingsdone.com/2009/08/google-spreadsheet-as-a-gtd-list-manager/

SquidgyFishy, thank you for these links.

I’d put my entire life into Excel spreadsheets if I had the time, and have thought about doing this for my tasks/to do list. It’s easy enough to export the entire Toodledo To Do list, which is a wonderful starting point for anyone to create a spreadsheet to meet their individual needs. I use the Toodledo app almost exclusively on my iPhone, occasionally on my iPad, and rarely access it via the web on my desktop. While I could access a spreadsheet from any device, I really like the Toodledo interface (which is also much better than a spreadsheet on the iPhone or iPad) and some of the functionality built into Toodledo. I could create a spreadsheet then use it in parallel with Toodledo for a while to see if I could get used to it and wean myself off of Toodledo.

As with many of us here, I really like Toodledo and don’t want to bail on it yet, but we have to be prudent, start looking for acceptable alternatives, and be prepared should something happen to it.
bandit

Posted Jan 21, 2021 in: Toodledo still alive?
  • bandit
  • Posted: Jan 21, 2021
Posted by Ummagumma:

I don't recall how Toodledo "carries forward" incomplete tasks. I assume you're talking about "recur after completion" functionality, where a task that is set to recur monthly will recur a month after the previous instance was completed, and not a month after its due date ? If so, GoodTask has this functionality. Not sure about other ones.

To have uncompleted tasks automatically carried forward set the due date as “Optionally on” and then specify how often, or when, you want it to repeat if you don’t get it done on the date. So if you specify you want it to repeat daily, if it’s not completed on the optional due date, it will automatically carry forward to the next day. You can also specify if you want it to carry forward to only specific week days, or other variations. It’s very flexible.

And, as long as you have your Toodledo email address, any email can be forwarded so that it becomes a task in Toodledo, so I’m hoping there are other to-do apps that have this same type of feature.
bandit

Posted Jan 21, 2021 in: Toodledo still alive?
  • bandit
  • Posted: Jan 21, 2021
Toodledo is a great app with a loyal user base. It would be great if someone would buy it and bring back confidence to the users, and we’d all be able to stick with it and be happy!

Like most I’ve been on a quest for a suitable replacement (no luck yet).

One of the many features I like about Toodledo is the ability to forward emails so they become tasks. Which apps have any of you found that have this feature?

I also like setting up recurring tasks and the ability to have uncompleted tasks carry forward (works good in Toodledo). Which apps have any of you found that has this functionality?
bandit

Posted Dec 29, 2020 in: Toodledo still alive?
Score: 1
  • bandit
  • Posted: Dec 29, 2020
  • Score: 1
Posted by mlb32704:
This post is for basic users, power users need not bother....

Toodledo is my to do list. It enabled me to move off of Palm to iOS in 2010 and I've been using it ever since. I am a BASIC user. I sort tasks by date then tags like 0001, 0002, etc. to prioritize within any given day. I use lots of standard and advanced repeats, and plenty of notes attached to tasks, but that's pretty much it. I use the Notebook section too, but there's a million other options for that out there, I've used Evernote in the past, it's fine. I really don't use any other Toodledo functionality albeit I do acknowledge that there is a ton available to power users. I read someone in the forums going on and on about how Toodledo should ignore basic users who are bringing everyone else down, lmao. OK, I guess that I'm guilty of keeping Toodledo in the Dark Ages. I get upset when they change a font :) Hey, I don't need the added functionality, sorry.

In any case, these are the alternatives that I've been evaluating:

TickTick
Google Tasks
ToDoist
Remember the Milk
Any.do
Microsoft To Do
2Do
GoodTask

Based on my own personal analysis and experience so far, for basic users such as myself that are looking to get as close as possible to the functionality, look and feel of Toodledo, my frontrunner is TickTick, with RTM a distant second. Each one of the others have some issue that are showstoppers to me, but someone else might find them a better fit. Again, my opinion, just looking to help out others here.

I wish everyone here good luck, a safe and happy holiday season, and hopefully Toodledo will wake up and at least have the courtesy to let its loyal base know wth is going on at some point.

mlb32704, thank you for all of this research and your thoughts. I use Toodledo exactly as you describe, and have been using it for a very, very long time. For my purposes, I really like the functionality it provides. All of these posts about Toodledo perhaps just “disappearing” make me really nervous, since I would be totally lost (and very upset), if my nearly 400+/- tasks ever disappeared. I don’t want to change platforms, but am exporting my active tasks on a regular basis, and starting to look at other options, which I will “test” (if there are free versions).

There are many loyal Toodledo users, so if it’s in trouble, it would be great if someone else would buy it and keep it going!
Skip to Page:  1   2      Next