ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by dismukemail"
dismukemail

Score: 0
There is a place to make suggestions. Click on the drop-down by the "Account Menu" at the top right-hand side of the screen. Look for the "Help" section and select "Feature Requests."

In the repeating function, add "0" option for days. Sometimes I work on a task for awhile, but don't finish it. If it is a repeating task set to repeat every one day, when I check it off, it doesn't show up again on my list until tomorrow. I would like for it to immediately show back up on the list, hence a zero day repeating function. This is because I might want to work on it again later that same day. Think of this as "little and often" approach to getting a task done.

A possible workaround that might or might not work for you in the meanwhile if you are not currently using the Status feature might be to use it for the purpose you described. . For example, tasks that fall into the category that you describe could be classified as "Active" They would thus stay visible in your task list but would be differentiated from tasks that have yet to be started on which would remain in the default "None" status.

If you are already using the Status feature in a different way, you might perhaps use the tags feature to do something similar. And the tags feature has an advantage in that you are able to customize the specific tags. For example, one could come up with a tag for "Working On" or "In the middle of" or "come back to" or "paused" etc.
dismukemail

Posted Oct 05, 2021 in: Toodledo Speed Sloooooow...
Score: 2
I have not noticed anything out of the usual over the past several days. I have two accounts, one that I use in Chrome and one that I use in Edge on the same Windows 10 computer. I do not use the service constantly - but I do usually update/check my task list at intervals throughout the day.

One thing you might try is clearing your cache and restarting your browser. It may or may not work - but it is easy and quick enough to do. And I have encountered over the years enough technical issues with various websites where the ultimate solution was for the user to clear their cache that this is my first go-to if I am having difficultly with getting a website to work.

Sometimes deleting the website's cookies will work for certain types of website issues. But I am reluctant to go into my browser settings and delete ALL my cookies wholesale because that ends up being a pain when I have to login from scratch or jump through two factor authentication hoops for sites that usually "remember" me because of their cookie. But if you know how to go into section inside Chrome settings that allows you to search for cookies for an individual site (here, you would just type "toodledo" into the search box) you will see listings for several cookies that the Toodledo site sets and there is an icon that will allow you to delete them. Afterwards, you will need to sign in to Toodledo again from scratch - but that will cause the site to set brand new cookies. My understanding is that cookie files can sometimes become corrupted and cause a site to misbehave.

Again....no idea whether any of this will fix the issue for you. But it is something I have been able to do a number of times to get websites that have behaved oddly to work. And I only mention it here because I have not experienced the slowness you described - if I had experienced it as well, that would suggest the issue is on Toodledo's end.

There is also a feature where you can open a support ticket - and, based on feedback in this forum, the new owners will actually respond back.
dismukemail

Posted Oct 05, 2019 in: Batch edit
Score: 1
Hi -

I had a spare moment so I tried to see if I could duplicate your error. I went into one of my folders that had two tasks, both of which had "High" priority. I used the batch edit to change to "Medium" - and it worked. I then used the batch edit to change them back to "Medium."

Of course, there are a lot of other variables that could potentially come into play. I just tried it by pulling up a list of tasks from a folder. Maybe it would have been different if I had pulled up my list of tasks based on date.

When I have problems with batch edit - it is usually because I forgot to put the check mark in front of the criteria I wish to change. Sometimes I will just go in and enter the change in the box - and if you do that without adding the check mark in front of it, the change won't take. But I am assuming that this was not the case for you because you mentioned that you were able to change the other criteria besides priority.
dismukemail

Posted Sep 17, 2019 in: Where is the Save Search button?
I don't have a way to attach a screenshot at the moment. But it is at the far left in the vertical blue line under the Tasks portion of the interface. Look for the icon that looks like a magnifying glass. Click on it and it will bring up the saved search dialogue in the main portion of the screen. At your left will be options to pull up your previously saved searches. Hope this helps.
dismukemail

Posted Oct 21, 2018 in: Future Plans
Posted by Ummagumma:
No offense, but how well do you know Outlook ? Its task module, with some tweaking (plaintext tags, custom views and conditional formatting), is very powerful. Especially if you combine it with OneNote.

The difficult part is finding a mobile task app that syncs with it while maintaining the fields that you use the most.

I have used it for years and have tried tweaking it any number of ways.

My main problem with it is visual - with Toodledo I can easily group like tasks by folder and see an essentialized view of all that is on my plate at a quick glance. I have yet to find an easy way to do that in Outlook.

I absolutely dislike the color coded categories that is Outlook's default method that people always suggest that I use.

It is possible to place Outlook tasks in folders. But there is no folder field in the task creation interface that lets one select a folder. There is a way to add in custom fields - but I don't have the skill to associate the self created field with any actual existing folder, assuming that there is a way to do it.

To create a task and assign it to a folder one has to click on File, go to the properties/save screen and then click for a folder option drop down. That is very clunky - but I could live with that clunkiness after getting used to it over time. I can get all tasks to display with separate sections for each folder - but I cannot filter out those not due on the current day. If I go to the Today view, I can sort by folder - but it does not break out the folders into separate sections.

For me, this means if I have a ton of tasks on my plate, I have to spend more time than a quick glance to get a good overview. And the more I have to study a long list of items, the more I feel a sense of information overload - which I personally find frustrating and have to be on guard against being discouraged by.

I am guessing with advanced knowledge it could be tweaked and improved. But I have spent years doing google searches to find a way to optimize things. And I have never been able to get the custom views to work for me.

I am probably quirky when it comes to such things. I know lots of people who love Outlook Tasks and use it without similar issues - but these are also people who do not struggle with information overload to the degree I do. My brain I guess is hard wired differently than many other folks - if I have a lot of information in front of me I have to be able to contextualize it, classify it and group it into hierarchies or else my brain will quickly fry. My way of doing things is just to work around my quirks and weaknesses rather than spend lots of effort to conquer them - which, for me, usually means finding tools, software programs and processes that are non-clunky to the way my brain works. But there are occasions when we have no options but to use whatever tools are provided to us.

I do use OneNote all the time - I love it. But I use it for keeping notes. After reading your comment, I did a quick Google search on OneNote Outlook integration - and immediately found a site that suggests that I might be able to use individual sections within a OneNote notebook in such a way as to perhaps accomplish what I have been wanting. That is something I will absolutely follow up on and investigate - so thanks so much for the suggestion!

This message was edited Oct 21, 2018.
dismukemail

Posted Oct 21, 2018 in: Future Plans
Posted by mjbernstein:

And honestly, when the changes at Toodledo were announced I sorta got into a twist, and the gadget lover inside of me was hoping to find something just a good but more visually stunning to improve my life. But in reality that was a pipe dream and just switching to switch was the same as biting my nose to spite my face. Frankly, I wonder if that explains some of the huffing and puffing around these forums--an initial reaction. But with a little time that passed.

If I get to keep my current Gold features at $60 per year in the new individual plan as someone posted that Aaron said would be happening (when I emailed him shortly after I received the price hike email, he sent me a nice reply that, at the time, said they were merely reevaluating full history for individual plans) it will be a no-brainer for me to stay.

That's $5 month verses $2.50 I am currently spending. I had more time on my hands this week than I usually do and checked out some competing services. I suppose in a pinch the paid version of Todoist would work for me - but I did not care for it. I disliked Wunderlist when I briefly used it before deciding on Toodledo and I still dislike it. There is a service that offers a Windows desktop program that syncs with an Android app. It is very powerful and has a ton of neat features. But I found that task entry on the desktop version was very clunky - I haven't checked out the Android app. All the others I looked at were very quickly discarded as no-gos.

Bottom line is my time has value - and $2.50 per month more than what I am currently paying is not worth putting up with clunkiness or an app that I really don't care for. Plus, as Marc said, there is the time and effort of switching - not to mention time spent doing further comparison shopping to see if there might exist something that I like better than the two that I found to acceptable in a pinch.

My time spent looking at other programs wasn't a total waste. Through the process of reading about other products and through reading this forum I have learned that there are features in Toodledo that I was not aware of. I have seen the star feature - but it never occurred to me that it could actually be useful. I did not know at all about the saved search feature. Very cool - and I now have one that adds a view that I wished the program had. And I was not aware that the Android app and even parts of the website accessed in a browser work offline. Plus there are the features that I already have been using and value.

At $90 - out of principle I would do some more due diligence and at least give some other service a trial run.

But my big concern at this point is what happens if too many existing paid subscribers abandon ship. A price hike in the realm of 100 to 300 percent - that doesn't happen very often and is something that naturally gives people pause. I guess it depends on the value that one gets from Toodledo. If one doesn't use all the features that make it unique it seems to me that they would be at risk. $30 per year is within the realm of money that I have sent just as a show of support for services that I find valuable without regard to any extra perks or features I might get. Beyond that, I start to consider the value proposition - including what else exists in the market.

I already have enough frustration in my life. At work I have no choice but to use Outlook Tasks because my employer has access to very confidential data. My storing work related information on a third party website that our information security has not vetted and approved would, for good reason, be a huge no-no. I constantly wish I could use Toodledo at work. While I do love being able to easily convert emails into tasks, everything else about Outlook drives me crazy. With Toodledo I view my daily tasks in such a way that combats overwhelm and information overload. I have yet to find a good way of doing so with Outlook - and there are times when it annoys me enough I end up reverting back to informal paper task lists. So the last thing I need in my life outside work is having another task manager that frustrates and annoys me. But I am really picky when it comes to things like that - most people, I suspect, are a lot more flexible than I am when it comes to such things.
dismukemail

Score: -1
Posted by M:
Things that always bring me back to Toodledo are the flexible recurrences, and the pretty-powerful search. And the ability to export which, unfortunately, is probably going to be what I do: export and build an Excel workbook with macros that will let me complete/reschedule, and filter as I choose, without being at the whim of another task list provider (with the exception of Microsoft but, I suppose, if Excel ever sucks I'll have a problem again). I want to do SQL, but can't find a free database hosting service.

Well, if you have a reliable Internet connection you could always host it yourself.

http://www.cs.uakron.edu/~xiao/windows/MySQL-Installation.html

You could host it on your main computer or an old computer you might still have. Or you could even install Linux on an old Android phone you no longer use and use that to host the sql.

What you are talking about sounds cool. But it isn't exactly free when you consider the time you have to put into it and the money you could fetch if you used the same skills on some other project. Even at $90 per year, Toodledo is a bargain compared to the time that would take - unless it is something that you would get enjoyment from doing.

But I do share your concern about relying on cloud based services. I remember some years ago an online blogging platform that was destroyed overnight due to employee sabotage and no offsite backups https://idm.net.au/blog/006734-blogging-community-destroyed-lack-backup Hopefully most cloud services these days have learned from that and the odds of this happening now are more remote than then.

There is something to be said for locally stored data unless, of course, one has a hardware failure at just the wrong moment before a planned backup.
dismukemail

Score: 2
Posted by Chardar Fuxus:

If these same stats ring true with this platform, they stand to substantially increase their revenues while decreasing their low pay/no pay customers which decreases the variable expenses attached to each of those users.

But in this case those "low pay/no pay" customers constitute 100 percent of the user base and revenue stream. In some cases it might make sense for a company to ditch low paying customers - but only after it has a sustainable base of higher paying customers. Toodledo doesn't have high paying customers - they merely have a HOPE that a sufficient number of so-called "low pay/no pay" customers will convert into high pay customers. That sounds risky to me.

Why not take things a bit slower and give existing users a reason to WANT to pay more while attracting new high pay users and, in the meanwhile, preserve the only revue stream the service currently has? If the low pay customers are truly not cost effective to service then they can be ditched with less consequence after a certain number of high paying customers have signed up. If your customer base is used to paying Walmart prices it is not reasonable to expect large numbers of them to be particularly keen to suddenly start paying Neiman-Marcus prices even if there are enhancements to the service.
dismukemail

Posted by pawelkaleta:
Maybe worth to add that "willing to pay" in a survey doesn't necessarily lead to "decision to pay" in reality.

The thing I am curious about the survey is how long it was conducted before that other service closed. If I had to make a decision on very short notice or pledge in order to keep the service from quickly shutting down I would most likely cough up a very steep rate increase. If that was the context of the survey - then of course people would be willing to pay more verses the prospect of scrambling for a replacement at the last minute.

But in this case, I don't need to make a decision for another 101 days - which gives me time to see what else is out there. It is rarely a good idea to give your happy existing customers a reason to take a look at competitors - there is always the danger that they might find something they like better.
dismukemail

Posted by smatics:
Todoist, apparently, had 5 million users in 2015. I doubt ToodleDo has anywhere near that number of free or paid users.

This doesn't tell how many users each service has - but it does offer some basis for comparing their relative positions in the marketplace..

On Google Play the Todoist app is listed as having 10 million plus downloads and 158 thousand reviews. By comparison, the Toodledo app has 100 thousand plus downloads and 1,976 reviews. Plus there are IOS downloads which I don't have numbers for and there are PC only users which I doubt anybody has other than Toodledo.

And, of course, not every download is still a user and not every user is active. I am one of the 10 million plus people who Google Play says downloaded Wunderlist and my old account with them was still active when I logged on last night for the first time in years. But I disliked Wunderlist and sought a replacement soon after I started using it - which is how I ended up here. And I still did not like Wunderlist when I checked it out again last night. So I am technically a Wunderlist user - but I am totally worthless to them.

it is understandable why a service with a smaller customer base would need to bring in more revenue per user. It lacks the economies of scale that a larger competitor has. But a service with a smaller customer base can less afford a mass defection of customers which will end up making the economies of scale situation even worse.
dismukemail

Posted by Purveyor:

The problem is dealing with the negative feelings (anger, disappointment, lack of trust) towards the new owners. Not only will it result in lost subscribers, it will interfere with "spreading the word" about how great Toodledo is.

This reminds me of what happened to JC Penney. They brought in some alleged wonder guy who had previously created the Apple stores to replicate their success at JC Penney. Except that JC Penny was completely different than Apple and served a completely different market. He was correct in that the chain needed to modernize and bring in a younger demographic - and he did a few good things in that direction. But the man was openly contemptuous of JC Penney's existing customer base - he barely stopped sort of publicly mocking them as being a bunch of un-hip frumps and fuddy-duddies and changed the chain's merchandise accordingly. If someone actually tried to run off the chain's customer base and kill its cash flow they couldn't have done a better job than he did. Bringing in new customers takes time and money - and they needed the money from the existing customers to make it happen. He almost killed the company before he was finally replaced leaving the company scrambling and desperate to win back the customers that were driven off. The company continues to struggle because of it - and that new customer base with an allegedly better demographic has yet to emerge.

The new owners of Toodledo are not rude to and do not demean their customer base the way that the bozo at JC Penney did. To their credit, they have been respectful and engaging. But my fear is this will have the same impact on their cash flow and viability as what happened at JC Penney.
dismukemail

Score: 3
Posted by frogboy:
I think the potential loss of habits, notes, outlines, lists as a big mistake. Why not keep them as the full organising suite?

Why not keep it as it is and just improve the features that are there?

I think it would be a huge mistake to get rid of those features. Why would someone want to kill off features that differentiate one from one's competitors.

One of the things that charmed me when I gave Toodledo a try was how it integrated goals with tasks. The idea made so much sense. And the habits feature was also something that made Toodledo stand out. I have used it on and off since I became a subscriber and value having access to it. I used notes and outlines for awhile but found that One Note was more useful to me for my specific purposes. But I am sure that there are others who find it convenient to have all of that in one place.

I can understand not wanting to invest resources in further development of such features. But don't get rid of them especially when one is raising rates 300 percent. Keeping one's access to such features might be the make or break in terms of some people's willingness to pay a higher price. If you are going to try charging more than the market rate one has to have as many differentiating features as one can to justify the higher rate.
dismukemail

Score: 6
Posted by Chardar Fuxus:
Toodledo is one of the, if not BEST task managers out there. So yeah, you're gonna have to start paying for it.

But best... to whom and for what purpose? I suspect that most Toodledo users do not take full advantage of all of its features either because they have no need for them or aren't fully aware of their potential benefits. But they use Toodledo because it was what they stumbled across and have gotten used to. If it works and is affordable - why go through the hassle of changing? But to the degree that a user does not take full advantage of all that Toodledo has to offer - the easier would be for them to find a less expensive or even free replacement.

I use only a fraction of the advanced features that are available to me through the multiple services and software programs I get though my Microsoft Office 365 Personal subscription. But if Microsoft decided to raise my subscription cost up by 300 percent on grounds of all of the wonderful and powerful things one can do with those features - I would cancel my subscription and either go back to an open source alternative or try out Google's rival offerings and my guess is so would the rest of their customer base.

There is a reason why Microsoft recently changed the .Personal subscription to allow me to install the software on more than one PC and expanded the number of people who can share their Home subscription - and it wasn't that they were trying to be kind or charitable. They did it because it will encourage more people to subscribe verses use free offerings elsewhere. There are some people who absolutely NEED the advanced features offered in Office in order for their business to run - and, if necessary, they would probably pay $100 per month for it. But for every $100 per month customer they kept, they would easily lose far more than the 16 $6 per month subscribers needed to bring in the same amount - and they would suddenly make it lucrative for a competitor to spend the money to bring their product up to speed with Office. Microsoft realizes that it makes more money by having lots and lots of casual Office users as paying customers than a small number of power users who are willing to pay a very high price.

I am sure that there are people who will gladly pay $60/$90 to keep Toodledo. But in order for them to do so they will need to keep/add one user for every $20/$30 customer they run off - and that is just to keep their revenue where it is currently at.
dismukemail

Posted Oct 17, 2018 in: Future Plans
Score: 4
Posted by byerun:

I'm not following. The gold subscription seems to match closest to the new individual plan which is about $60/year. The $89.99/year you mentioned is for the business plan. Or am I missing something?

Sadly, you are missing something. To keep the Gold subscription feature of preventing one's task history from being deleted after a year one must upgrade to the $90 per year plan. I am already at the top membership level - and my fee is going up 300 percent! I get a lot of value from Toodledo and don't mind paying more - but this is steep. And the other features one gets with the business plan are worthless to me - I use it for my own use and do not need to collaborate.