ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by SquidgyFishy"
SquidgyFishy

Posted Feb 10, 2021 in: DISCUSS ALTERNATIVES TO TOODLEDO
Score: 2
I'm with you in wishing someone would save toodles, it has been my system for many years.

Below is my shortlist together with my views on each one, in case this is helpful to anyone.
I moved to using a spreadsheet after testing through my shortlist, and it works really well for me. I have hundreds of next actions and I can filter them depending on location, time, tool and anything else I want to. I have hundreds of projects as well and excel makes reviewing projects (for me) a dream. For project notes longer than a few sentences I store those in OneNote. I used to do this with toodles anyway because the notes in toodles were a bit naff.

I love excel, I love playing with spreadsheets and I love adding conditional formatting and creating pivot tables to give me feedback on how much I’m completing in a week. To tell the truth I feel more confident in the spreadsheet than I used to with toodles.
I’ve dropped the spreadsheet onto my onedrive so I can see it on my tablet and mobile. I don’t use my todo list heavily on mobile, so it is sufficient for me. It works very well on tablet. I acknowledge my system may not suit everyone.
I thought that I would miss not importing my emails into my system, but actually it’s been fine. When I’m moving really fast I just BCC myself so I remember to add it (which isn’t that far from what I used to do, BCC’ing toodles). When im not moving superfast I’ll just switch to excel and drop some kind of reminder in my inbox to process later. I get about 150 average actionable emails a day, so I'm not a mega heavy email user, but i get enough.

Common to all the below is that they seemed to work well in the first trial with under 100 tasks, but as soon as I imported my full list, it became much more difficult, whereas toodles (and excel) handle them easily.
They also tried to make me think the way they wanted to, whereas toodledo felt like it was asking how it could change according to what I wanted. The one exception was Amazing Marvin, but that had slow down when I imported my full list of tasks.

1) Paper (such as bullet journal or custom system) – tried it and decided against it, I’m too messy and I move too fast
2) RememberTheMilk – liked it. Felt a bit like toodles, but ultimately had less features. You needed a tag for everything rather than folders, contexts, locations and then tags. I also didn’t like how it does things by start date, I commit to achieving things in a week but I can never commit to it on a day as my days change to quickly (I have to schedule time in my calendar for focus time)
3) Todoist – I liked the resources that were behind it. But I couldn’t get on with the projects list. It’s like it was designed for someone with only 10 ongoing projects. Who has that? So I would end up having to change the “projects” list to be my different lists… Ugh. Bring back toodledo! Also only had tags, which i struggled with.
4) Nozbe - £90 per year, and didn’t feel much more featured than MS Todo was. Also really didn’t like the “add new item” being in the bottom right hand corner
5) Amazing Marvin – really loved this, so customisable and flexible. But would need time investment to get it perfect. Main reason for discounting was it was slowing down after I’d imported all my tasks (I have several thousand)
6) Nirvana – I liked this, but it was a bit simple
7) Facile Things – It seemed overly complicated to be able to add a project
8) MS Todo – I wanted to like this, but it was too simple fo me. Liked that you could connect it to Outlook, but I try and spend as little time in Outlook as possible.
9) Trello – I wanted to like this, loved the graphical interface, but I just couldn’t see myself importing thousands of tasks and reviewing lists easily like I can with toodles
10) TickTick – I had written this off a few years ago when Jake sold Toodles (I wasn’t sure what the future for toodles was then) and hadn’t tried this again since then, but it looks like it may have improved since when I trialed it
11) Clickup – I just couldn’t get over the way they use the inbox, trying to make it some kind of focus box. No, an inbox is where things come IN. Not where you work!

Hope it helps someone!
SquidgyFishy

Posted Jan 25, 2021 in: Toodledo still alive?
Score: 0
Posted by fdoten:
Thank you for your reply, SquidgyFishy! Will check them out.

You're welcome!
SquidgyFishy

Posted Jan 24, 2021 in: Toodledo still alive?
Posted by fdoten:
Hi SquidgyFishy - interesting concept with Excel! Would love to see your Excel doc!
Any way to see a sample?

Hi fdoten, I'll see if there's a way i can get a santised version i can upload. In the meantime, these two were my inspirations for design:
https://medium.com/better-humans/how-to-implement-a-killer-gtd-system-in-google-sheets-ad9c9857a8bd
https://gettingthingsdone.com/2009/08/google-spreadsheet-as-a-gtd-list-manager/

I decided not to tie together projects and next actions like the one from Mike Strum. It never worked that well on toodles anyway, so I didn't feel i was missing anything.

I'm so much happier with excel i have to say. These past few weeks have been amazing, and the constant worry that it might all just fall over at a moments notice has left.
SquidgyFishy

Posted Jan 14, 2021 in: Toodledo still alive?
Posted by Ummagumma:
FWIW, I started a poll some time ago asking what solutions had people settled for.

Here are the results so far.

http://www.polljunkie.com/poll/pfwmsx/my-plan/view

It seems the biggest group went to RTM.

I love that the second biggest category was "sticking and hoping for a miracle"
I was definitely in that camp, i tried RTM, Todoist, TickTick and a number of others over the past three months and none of them gelled with me.

I kept taking regular backups thinking toodles would fail on me at any point, and in the end I just opened the xml backup in excel, did about 3 hours of formatting and saved it to my onedrive. Voila. I have an app.
It has a toodles feel for me in desktop mode. Excel mobile now has "card view" which makes it feel a bit appy. I do most of my work on the laptop also so app work accounts for probably 10% of my work time (and it is usually just to capture or check what i've got to do).

I've got one sheet for my inbox, one for next actions and one for my projects, with incubated ones going to another sheet.
It's replicated most of the feedback charts that toodles had, and is easier to customise than toodles was.

And it's fun again. I'm actually really enjoying engaging with my system. I guess part of that is because i'm not afraid excel is suddenly going to disappear on me, but also excel is fun anyway.

Would definitely recommend giving it a try!
SquidgyFishy

Posted Oct 06, 2020 in: We’re Back
Does anybody else notice the irony of us all posting about how we are leaving Toodledo in the forum called "we're back"?

I am really going to miss Toodles. Member since 2009 and it has been the home for everything for the past 6 years, and despite having looked at alternatives, nothing has really jelled for me yet.
Thank you for the Tick Tick recommendation. Remember the Milk is next up for me.

I've also looked at:
Nozbe - super expensive and simplistic
Facile Things - seems really hard to use
Amazing Marvin - enjoyed it, but fundamentally didn't like the way they did projects. Seems really well supported though
Todoist - similar to marvin
Clickup - really didn't like their inbox
Momentum Earth - really liked this too, but no app yet and after the initial bulk of updates it seems to have slowed to nothing now

Wish you all well and hoping against hope that someone takes over Toodles and gets it back on its feet.

This message was edited Oct 06, 2020.
SquidgyFishy

Score: 1
Posted by SyneRyder:

For me, the main pricing irritation is that the Individual plan has only 1 year of task history. If it had unlimited task history, I could downgrade from Gold to Individual, and then it would only be a 2x price hike for me. I don't use Toodledo as a business & don't need the collaboration features or file uploads, but I do like the peace of mind of unlimited history (and being able to do statistics on that task history).

This is my main concern also, the individual offer is "not too bad" (though todoist is cheaper, at least in the UK) but I'd really like to keep my task history for longer than a year, which i currently get on gold.
SquidgyFishy

Posted Aug 07, 2018 in: Future Plans
Hi Sam,
Another two tweaks that would be great would be:

File manager - deleting files is a bit of a pain, and although i have a lot of space, it feels very disorganised to have many files which aren't attached to any tasks anymore because the tasks were completed.

Outline - I like the outline feature and use it to project plan from time to time, but it would be nice to be able to turn a line in the outline into a task - for example if you "starred" the line in the outlines it would become a task.
SquidgyFishy

Posted Jul 26, 2018 in: Toodledo Update #1
Hi Sam,
Really exciting news. Good luck with the developments and thank you for the update!
SquidgyFishy

Posted Jul 10, 2018 in: Future Plans
Posted by Purveyor:
Perhaps the new owners will change the name from Toodledo to ToodleDo, given that many users think that's the name ...

In any case, I’ll just wait and see what happens. For now, Toodledo does the job for me but, if there are major changes that I don't like, there are plenty of other options.

I'm so guilty of calling it ToodleDo.... I have no idea why I do that!
SquidgyFishy

Posted Jul 08, 2018 in: Future Plans
Jake, I'd like to echo the responses of others here. ToodleDo has become the application that I "run my life" from. Your creation of a tool that has helped me (and so many others) get organised and accomplish more than I ever thought I could is a tremendous achievement and I am very grateful to you for what you have done over the years.

Thank you.

Sam, Ramon and Anant, welcome and the very best of luck with making ToodleDo even more relevant and useful over the coming years. It certainly is an exciting opportunity and I can see that your approach of working with the community is an excellent one.

I think one of the strengths of the platform lies in it's flexibility and the way users can customise their experience. I will certainly respond to your google feedback request with more information regarding these thoughts.

My only caution to you would be that users like me keep their life in ToodleDo. Treat us with care and patience, and always consider why we are using ToodleDo and not any of the plethora of other apps out there.

Good luck!
SquidgyFishy

Posted Aug 09, 2017 in: New Layout
Thank you Jake. Im sure I will get used to the menu "delay" so long as I know it isn't a fault! Thanks for looking into it for me.
SquidgyFishy

Posted Aug 07, 2017 in: New Layout
Hi Jake, i've finally managed to screen record, hope it helps!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yky96ij0nvtx5vz/Tasks%20%E2%9C%93%20Toodledo%20-%20Google%20Chrome%2007_08 _2017%2012_27_07.mp4?dl=0
SquidgyFishy

Posted Aug 03, 2017 in: New Layout
Hi Jake, sure thing I'd be happy to help. Can you recommend any screen recording software? I've never used any before.
SquidgyFishy

Posted Aug 03, 2017 in: New Layout
Hello Jake, I've started using the new tasks section, and I've got about 90 items I've "chucked in my inbox" that I was just adding tags to or putting in folders, usual sort of stuff for me.

Anyways, I've noticed that it was really slow to operate. For example, I'd click on the folder drop down and there was a visible delay in the dropdown appearing. Or I'll try and add a tag and they'll be a beat after clicking on a tag and it actually assigning it. I really noticed it when I tried to change between save searches and open up a new search and it felt like a bit of a grind to get there.

It definitely wasn't that slow on the old tasks section.

Is that normal? Am i doing something wrong? I'm running google chrome version 59.0.3071.115. My internet speed isn't the fasted, probably 7MB, but I don't have an issue with any other websites and as I say the old tasks section worked just fine.

Thank you!
SquidgyFishy

Posted Jan 24, 2017 in: Outline item to task
I've just started using outlines for project planning on toodledo, having been a long time paper user. One thing I've tried is when I get my outlines down to the tasks phase and I want to copy that over to my tasks section, if I tag it up with the folder and context in advance then when i copy over to quick add it labels it up for. Makes it a fairly quick process to move things over.

eg "research new marketing manager" breaks down to "speak to Fred about his experience with recruitment firm /Marketing /Agenda /Office" and that tags it with my marketing folder, agenda context and office tag

Works for me at the moment!