ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Yannis"
Yannis

Posted Jan 21, 2010 in: Feature suggestion
Score: 0
  • Yannis
  • Posted: Jan 21, 2010
  • Score: 0
I am one of those users who use Toodledo with the GTD method in mind—and there are many of us. One central feature of GTD is that subtasks can belong in different contexts.

In the current implementation of Toodledo, filtering tasks by context fails to display in indented format subtasks whose parent task belongs in another context (or no context at all). The only solution to display those subtasks is to select the "flattened" (inline) view which, however, is far less usable in many cases, producing a cluttered list.

May I then suggest a solution that, as I see it, requires minimal changes to the current system and would make all of us GTD-ers happy: Incorporate some sort of "wildcard" or "catchall" context in the system. Tasks utilizing this "wildcard" context would in effect be associated with all other context.

Given this feature, instead of assigning an arbitrary context (or no context) to our parent tasks, as we do now, would rather assign the "wildcard" context to them. As a result, filtering by any context would allow the system to display both the parent task and their subtasks in that context without any ambiguities or conflicts.

This is a workaround, of course, to the ideal solution, which would be a full-blown support of projects in Toodledo. But it would be a more than satisfactory and usable compromise.

Any chance this could happen?

Thank you very much.

This message was edited Jan 21, 2010.
Yannis

Posted Jan 20, 2010 in: New Tag Picker
  • Yannis
  • Posted: Jan 20, 2010
Great addition, thanks.

How can I reset the list of tags? I tried the feature using the "test 1" and "test 2" tags, which I now want to get rid of.

Also, alphabetic sorting of used tags would be the feature much more attractive and usable.
Yannis

Posted Jan 20, 2010 in: Due dates in custom searches
  • Yannis
  • Posted: Jan 20, 2010
Linden, I just realized that this workaround requires me to manually change the due date to the current date every day. There is no "dynamic" "TODAY" option, unfortunately.

Not a great hassle, but perhaps a possible area for improvement.
Yannis

Posted Jan 19, 2010 in: Proximo's GTD Setup
Score: 1
  • Yannis
  • Posted: Jan 19, 2010
  • Score: 1
Let me just write an extra couple of words before I run to bed—it's nearly 2am on this side of the globe.

Many of our GTD woes would be solved if the Toodledoers incorporated some sort of "wildcard" folder and "wildcard" context in the system. By "wildcard" I mean that tasks utilizing them would belong in "all folders" or "all contexts", respectively. The similarities to the currently existing "no folder" and "no context" options are superficial: Wildcards, rather, would allow parent tasks to accommodate subtasks in any context and any folder without any ambiguities or conflicts. They would allow, in other words, nested (indented) displays of our projects when viewing them "by context" or "by folder" with no missing and no redundant information. Just perfect!

I see this as a "checkmate move". A feature that would go a long way towards making Toodledo an extraordinarily flexible and powerful platform for task management, including GTD.

Dear Toodledoers, any thoughts? Thank you!

This message was edited Jan 19, 2010.
Yannis

• Yannis
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. I'm glad you find the request reasonable, too. It really shouldn't be too complex a task for the developers, so here's an improvement with great leverage.
Yannis

Posted Jan 19, 2010 in: Due dates in custom searches
  • Yannis
But of course! I should retake math 101. Thank you so much.
Yannis

Posted Jan 19, 2010 in: Due dates in custom searches
  • Yannis
I have a recurrent, daily task with an "optionally on" due date. I also have a saved custom search, which includes the following criterion:

"Due date is in the next 0 days"

my intention being to only view those tasks whose due date is today.

Now, if I complete the said task, being daily, it is automatically cloned for the following day. For some reason, however, that new task (with a due date of "optionally tomorrow") still appears in my custom search.

Why is this happening? How can I ensure that only those tasks with a due date of "today" will be displayed?

Thank you.
Yannis

• Yannis
  • Posted: Jan 18, 2010
Thanks, Linden. That's indeed a solution, but only a partial one: It requires one custom search per view *and* per tab in each view. If you have many tabs per view (i.e. many contexts or folders), the complexity is prohibitive. Imagine a series of 20 custom search tabs in a row!

I hope Toodledo considers adding an option for the "show recently completed tasks" time window. I presume it is not too radical a change in terms of coding; probably all it takes is provide a menu for adjusting the value of a parameter that is currently a constant in the Toodledo code.
Yannis

• Yannis
I like to have all tasks completed today or yesterday in my list. But for my own needs, to have all tasks completed within the past seven days visible on the list amounts to severe information overload. As far as I can tell, there is currently middleground solution: One either gets all tasks completed within the past 7 days or none at all. Is there any workaround for adjusting that window down to, say, 1 or 2 days?

Thank you.
Yannis

• Yannis
That's wonderful, Toodledo!

May I ask what exactly the correct behavior will be? For many of us, especially those who use Toodledo with Proximo's GTD setup, the "buggy" behavior is actually desired behavior! In other words, we absolutely need the ability to view subtasks of the selected context in *indented* format even when the parent task belongs in a different context. [Same with folders]. The parent task in those cases could appear in light grey, to indicate that it is in a different context than the one selected but still shown because it contains a subtask in that context.

A quick glance at the last couple of pages of the forum discussion on GTD, Proximo's setup and Toodledo will indicate that this feature is really the only missing link for Toodledo to be convertible to a true GTD system.

All in all: Please, please provide what currently is "buggy" behavior as an option alongside the "correct" one.

How does this sound to you?

Thank you.
Yannis

Posted Jan 18, 2010 in: Proximo's GTD Setup
  • Yannis
Thanks for writing back, Proximo.

I understand that TD is not a true GTD system. It is both more and less than that, and we will occasionally need to resort to apparent "hacks".

One potential solution to this issue would be a script of some sort (Greasemonkey? I'm not an expert in the scripting domain) which would detect the "hidden tasks" warning that appears at the end of the list when the the parent task belongs in a different context/folder from the subtask, and would then automatically:

1. Switch from the indented to the flattened view
2. Immediately switch back to the indented view

This would show the previously hidden (filtered-out) subtasks in indented view!

(Why this is so I just cannot comprehend; it simply seems inconsistent/buggy, not merely incompatible with GTD).

Any ideas or thoughts on this possibility?

This message was edited Jan 18, 2010.
Yannis

• Yannis
I have been using Proximo's GTD setup for Toodledo and so far it's been working great with the exception of one apparent Toodledo bug:

I use subtasks intensively and have selected "indented" (nested) views throughout the system. Unfortunately, when viewing my tasks "by context", several subtasks with that chosen context are hidden if their parent task belongs in a different context.

To be fair to Toodledo, I do get a warning at the end of the list that several "active tasks are hidden due to my filter settings." Upon selecting the "flattened" view the hidden subtasks indeed appear. The bug is that, reverting again to the "indented" view does not hide any subtasks anymore.

In other words, if I want to view all my subtasks in the a context, including those whose parent task belongs in a different context, I have to switch back and forth between the "indented" and "flattened" views.

I wonder then: Why not allow Toodledo to show all subtasks right from the start, rather than hide by default those subtasks whose parent task is in a different context?

(I hope my description is clear).

Thank you very much.

PS: The same problem occurs with folders as well as contexts: Subtasks belong in a folder other than that of their parent task require the same sort of "back and forth" toggling between indented and flattened views in order to appear in the "View by Folder" lists.

Yannis

Posted Jan 17, 2010 in: Proximo's GTD Setup
Score: -2
  • Yannis
  • Posted: Jan 17, 2010
  • Score: -2
This post has been hidden because of negative votes. Click to reveal

Yannis

Posted Jan 15, 2010 in: Toodlethings User Style
  • Yannis
  • Posted: Jan 15, 2010
The Things style for Toodledo looks really slick and makes the system so much more ergonomic and enjoyable. I only have two problems—hopefully someone can chime in with some help:

1. How can I resize the list view columns? Is it possible to do this at all?
2. When I decrease the width of the Toodledo window, instead of getting a horizontal scroll bar the browser wraps the "trash" and "note" icons of each task on the following line. How can I correct this?

Thank you!
Yannis

Posted Jan 14, 2010 in: Sort criteria for iPhone app
  • Yannis
  • Posted: Jan 14, 2010
I love the way Toodledo handles sorting in its web implementation: Up to three independent criteria, hierarchically ordered (e.g. Sort by Due Date > Sort by Folder > Sort by Priority).

In the iPhone app, on the other hand, all we get is an arbitrary set of pre-combined criteria. For example, while "Sort by Due Date and then alphabetically" is provided, there is no way to rearrange the criteria ("Sort alphabetically and then by due date").

Toodledo developers, do you plan to make sorting on the iPhone work the same way as it does on the web?

Thank you.
Yannis

Posted Jan 13, 2010 in: Chain tracking
  • Yannis
  • Posted: Jan 13, 2010
Thank you Toodledo. I only asked—rather than trying this out myself—because I did not want to risk having my chains broken.
Yannis

Posted Jan 12, 2010 in: Chain tracking
  • Yannis
  • Posted: Jan 12, 2010
I wonder whether my goal "chains" will be tracked even if I hide the "goal" field from my task list view.

The reason is simple: I want to ensure that my chains will be recorded by Toodledo, yet I would like to clean up my Toodledo user interface by hiding the "goal" field, and to invoke it only when necessary.

Thank you.
Yannis

Posted Jan 11, 2010 in: "Tasks" field stuck to zero
  • Yannis
  • Posted: Jan 11, 2010
Thanks, Linden. I was expecting to see incomplete tasks figured in the sum. Perhaps the developers could add an extra column for "total tasks assigned" to goal?
Yannis

• Yannis
  • Posted: Jan 10, 2010
I have a number of daily recurring tasks with an "optionally on" due date. For some weird reason, sometimes those tasks do not slide into "today" automatically after midnight, as one would expect, but appear as "overdue" (even after numerous browser refreshes). Why is this happening? Please note that this problem appears only sporadically. On most nights the automatic rescheduling of tasks does happen normally.

Thank you.
Yannis

Posted Jan 10, 2010 in: "Tasks" field stuck to zero
  • Yannis
  • Posted: Jan 10, 2010
I set out to try the "goals" feature of Toodledo. I created a number of goals and then went back to my Todo list, linking every task with a goal.

The problem is that, upon returning to the "Goals" page of the system, i.e. the page where Goals are created and edited, the "Tasks" column contains only zeros. This is quite strange because the tasks indeed appear linked with the goals in the Todo list (after numerous refreshes of the browser).

Is this a temporary server issue?

Thank you.
Skip to Page:  1   2      Next