ForumsNewsBackup and Restore Options

Backup and Restore Options
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 26, 2011
Score: 8 Reference
We have just added a new section to our "Import / Export" page under the "Tools" menu. It is for backing up and restoring your entire account. We keep our own backups for disaster recovery, but we cannot use these to help individual customers restore their data. With this new tool, you can now save your account data to your computer for safe keeping. This can be useful for a variety of reasons.

1) You are about to do a big reorganization of your to-do list, and want a way to revert back to the old state if you don't like what you did.
2) You are about to sync with a 3rd party product and are worried that it might mess up your account.
3) You want to maintain periodic backups in case you make a mistake and delete some important data.
4) You don't trust our backups and want a redundant solution in your own control.
5) You want to copy all of your data into a new Toodledo account.

Currently, this tool will backup and restore the following data: Tasks, Notebooks, Folders, Contexts, Goals, Locations and Saved Searches. It does not yet backup account preferences, but this is on the horizon.

Direct Link: http://www.toodledo.com/tools/connect_backup.php

This message was edited Sep 26, 2011.
eykanal

Score: -1 Reference
Very nice, very thorough. Thanks a bunch!
Salgud

Score: 1 Reference
Sounds great! Want to be sure I understand this new feature. I've been using the .xml backups to store my TD database, but if I understand correctly, this only stores the data, tasks and their attributes, but not the TD configuration, such as folders, saved searches, tags, etc. Is that correct? And this new backup will store all of that? So if I, or you, somehow erase the whole shebang, this restore would bring it back, current to the last backup. Is that correct?
dannyw0011

Thanks for implementing this feature. This is something that was much needed.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Salgud: Yes, this backup/restore tool will be able to recover all of the important data in your account. The XML backup that you are using already only does tasks (not notebooks, saved searches, folders, etc)
garyo

So I can just replace the guts of my backup crontab script with 'wget http://www.toodledo.com/tools/backup.php' (with appropriate authentication)? Nice. It even saves it with a decent name.
Salgud

Posted: Sep 27, 2011
Posted by Toodledo:
Salgud: Yes, this backup/restore tool will be able to recover all of the important data in your account. The XML backup that you are using already only does tasks (not notebooks, saved searches, folders, etc)

Thanks! Great improvement.
simon

Well I've never had reason to feel that a backup is required but, now that you mention it, it does feel a little more secure. Now, if only the download file name could be made to make sense to an Englishman. It took me a while to realise that 'toodledo_back_110927" wasn't a bug causing an incorrect date of 11th September 1927 ;-)
vivendom.budget

Thank you !
Thank you !

&

Thank you!
JPR

Posted: Sep 28, 2011
Very nice. Thanks!
Studio

Posted: Oct 05, 2011
Any chance to implement an automagically backup on your server ?
I mean: setup from Toodledo web page to automagically backup every x days the whole account and leave on your server xxx backup.
It would be tremendously useful for the rest of us ...
Thanks
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 0 Reference
Thats on our to-do list.
richardpepin.dd

Hi all,

Does that new backup fix the bug of "recurrence base on completion date" being restored as "recurrence base on due date" that existed in the old xml backups.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 06, 2011
Yes :)
richardpepin.dd

Posted: Oct 06, 2011
Posted by Toodledo:
Yes :)

This is a great day!

Thank you
saskia.x

Posted: Oct 17, 2011
Hi, this might be a silly question, but how big would you expect an average backup file to be? I just created a backup for the first time prior to trying out a major reorganisation of my system and the file seems disconcertingly small - 893KB. I realise this is probably fine (the data is really just simple text and numbers, I know it shouldn't take up a lot of space) and it's just that we've got so used to the idea that anything of any substance will be measured in MB nowadays, but just for my peace of mind could you reassure me that this really is about the right size for my entire Toodledo database?!

My task list certainly feels a lot bigger than that in my head :)
Salgud

Mine is about 1,250KB, and I don't have (ashamed to admit) thousands of tasks in my task list. I have about 150 active tasks.
(now leaving forum, head down, in complete humiliation and disgrace)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 2 Reference
The size of each task depends on the length of your notes, but the average task on Toodledo takes 1k. So, 893KB would be roughly 900 tasks give or take.
j2020

Score: 2 Reference
Posted by simon:
Now, if only the download file name could be made to make sense to an Englishman. It took me a while to realise that 'toodledo_back_110927" wasn't a bug causing an incorrect date of 11th September 1927 ;-)

Almost all computer files use this date format. YYMMDD puts the data in sequential (chronological)order. It has nothing to do with country of origin (typical date order in the US is MMDDYY, which doesn't work either). It has to do with being able to sort the data chronologically and "drill down" into smaller and smaller blocks of time. Some applications even use YYMMDDMMSS, where the last two variables are minutes and seconds.
saskia.x

Posted: Oct 20, 2011
Posted by Salgud:
Mine is about 1,250KB, and I don't have (ashamed to admit) thousands of tasks in my task list. I have about 150 active tasks.
(now leaving forum, head down, in complete humiliation and disgrace)

Be proud that you're not a disorganised mess who's trying to cram far too much into their life!! 150 active tasks sounds like a very sensible amount to me :)

I have 440, including those with a deferred status (only about 30 are deferred though). Probably should try to slim that down a bit but I do try to put EVERYTHING I think of in Toodledo initially (I do delete or defer quite a lot too though) and allow my system to filter them out a bit so they're not overwhelming.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.