ForumsNewsFacebook and Twitter Integration

Facebook and Twitter Integration
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Feb 23, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
Today we are releasing some social network integrations that will allow you to easily share your accomplishments with your friends and family.

From the "Tools" menu, you will see a new option called "Social Networks". From here you can setup a link between Toodledo and Facebook and/or Twitter. Once you have established the connection, you can now tweet or "facebook" your accomplishments from Toodledo. To do this, click on the action icon for a task and select "Tweet" or "Update Facebook Status". You will then be given the opportunity to customize your message and post it.

The Twitter integration has some bonus features. You can add and fetch tasks via Twitter and receive alarms for tasks due soon. This functionality exited prior to today's announcement, but the setup process has been streamlined and made more reliable now.

We now have an official Facebook page for Toodledo ( https://www.facebook.com/Toodledo ) where we will be posting these announcements in the future as well as other tips and special promotions. Please take a moment to visit our Facebook page and "Like" it, if you are so inclined. We also have a Twitter page where we will be doing the same thing: https://twitter.com/#!/toodledo

Thanks and Enjoy!
Joyce

Posted: Feb 23, 2012
Score: 1 Reference
I posted a share. just to spread the word.
Xxx_2

Posted: Feb 24, 2012
Score: -1 Reference
you say "(...) where we will be posting these announcements in the future as well as other tips and special promotions"; as I do not use Facebook nor Twitter, I wonder if this section "Help - Blog / News" anyway, will remain where it is today, or at least can be read in the future without the user having Face / Twitter. I believe the correct thing is to keep copy of these news on all platforms, not to restrict access to users who do not want to use Face / Twitter. Keep up the good work.

This message was edited Feb 24, 2012.
Salgud

Score: 2 Reference
I'm showing my age again. I can't imagine any of my family or friends wanting to be kept up to date every time I plan a meeting or make a correction to the project website. I guess young people think this is utterly thrilling! Thank God none of my sons are of that ilk.

Just curious. This is an oft requested "feature"?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
News updates will continue to go here in these forums as well as facebook and twitter. There are just extra avenues now.

Facebook and Twitter announcements are optional. You don't have to tweet every meeting, but you may want to tweet your big accomplishments. Its up to you.

Sometimes we work on things that are not requested because people don't always know what is possible. This was short 3 day project that was fun and we thought it would be a nice addition that could bring some awareness to Toodledo.
matanln

I can't imagine ever using this.
-_-
Joyce

Honestly, I liked the facebook page more as an avenue of information about Toodledo than as a means to share my doings.

But then, I'm one who always thinks about who sees what on my facebook page and I explicitly included certain people as a reminder of that.

I also don't Twitter...
PeterW 

Posted by Salgud:
I'm showing my age again. I can't imagine any of my family or friends wanting to be kept up to date every time I plan a meeting or make a correction to the project website. I guess young people think this is utterly thrilling! Thank God none of my sons are of that ilk.

Just curious. This is an oft requested "feature"?

I assumed that this was one of those things that was considered "interesting" and that's why it was done. As opposed to something that users wanted and/or asked for, like being able to change the completed date. With scarce development resources this might antagonise some users but it's a free world and there are alternatives.

I can't ever imagine updating my Facebook or Twitter feed when I've completed a task. I'd do it when I've achieved a goal but I'd probably take the time to post it manually to give some consideration to what I said, add some photos, etc. So a link from here to FB or Twitter isn't something I'd ever use.

I can just imagine my friends response if I tweeted that my weekly financial reports were complete. Every Friday. Zzzzzzzz.... :)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
I am sorry if this isn't something that some of you will use. Nobody is making you use it, and if you dont set it up, it won't be displayed on your action menu, so you can just pretend this never happened.
Mayberts

Posted: Feb 27, 2012
can you set it up to post to a facebook page rather than my profile?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Interesting idea. Can you please explain the scenario where you would like to do this? What page would you like to post to?
Mayberts

I am launching a website soon and I have created a Facebook page to go with the site, I am using toodledo as a bug list/request list and would like the updates to goto the Facebook page rather than my profile.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
I think that this is a little too specific of a use for us to build into a general solution. Sorry.
Mayberts

No worries, thanks for looking into it. I have just paid for the iPad app, very neat

This message was edited Feb 27, 2012.
Mayberts

Posted: Feb 28, 2012
I have found a solution to the posting to facebook page.

I have given Twitter permission to post to my facebook page, so when a tweet about my Toodledo list it also goes to my facebook page. :)
astanton6

Posted: Mar 03, 2012
Hi!

I myself am not real comfortable with Facebook and have seen so many meaningless twits (?) I have trouble sometimes understanding the utility -- BUT hey let's not beat up on our developer for a proactive, creative sidetrip that IS going to end up being 'just the thing' for some of us -- part of the beauty of the Toodledo approach, I think.

Developer people, really, I am so happy to have gotten my Samsung Galaxy Tablet (mine going by 'Ralph') when they first came out, if only!! because that led me to trying out apps (something I would never have anticipated earlier) and ultimately brought me to your SPLENDID service in part because your approach 'matched' mine for organizing etc (or ok, sometimes 'exceeded'), AND yours linked to some quite good apps AND because you think about things and keep us doing so as well. :"} Arlene
martingchapman

Posted: Mar 07, 2012
Score: 2 Reference
Toodledo,
Glad you got that update out of your system and enjoyed doing it.

Now can you please focus on something useful - proper full GMail integration, for all of us that use Toodledo day in day out for our work.

Martin.
mco

Posted: Mar 07, 2012
Posted by martingchapman:

Now can you please focus on something useful - proper full GMail integration, for all of us that use Toodledo day in day out for our work.

Sorry, but whatever "full integration" means to you, it probably would be not very useful to a lot of people, and would break whenever Google changed their API's.
martingchapman

Posted: Mar 09, 2012
MCO,
Like me, you are entitled to your opinion.

I use GMail for work and personal mail.
I use Toodledo for work and personal tasks.
I follow MYN principles to manage GMails and Tasks.

I am looking for a simple "one click" way to create a task from a GMail that puts the title of the GMail as the subject of the task and the url of the GMail thread in the note of the task.
In this way I will have the task in Toodledo with easy access to the GMail thread, so I can see any replies to the GMail.

I dont believe that the way I use GMail and Toodledo together to manage my work/life is rare or indeed unique.

A similar type of integration (but not exactly as I describe) between GMail and Tasks is available with other Task Management systems (RTM for one) so I know it can be done.
There are also XML scripts floating around that provide similar functionality.

However, in my opinion Toodledo is far and away the best Task Management system available (especially with its integration with MYN principles) and integration with GMail (for people who use GMail/Toodledo to manage their work/personal life) would make it perfect.

Regards how useful it would be, all I can say is that GMail is growing all the time so the potential audience is expanding rapidly.

Also, I don't see many replies to this thread saying how useful the Facebook/Twitter integration is, in fact the replies appear to say the opposite.

I hope this explains my reasons for posting.

You feel that this feature would "probably not be very useful to a lot of people", I think it would be extremely useful to all GMail/Toodledo users (a base that is growing day by day) and I am sure it would become a strong USP for Toodledo.

But as I said at the beginning, your are entitled to your opinion, but so am I.

Martin.
Purveyor

Posted: Mar 09, 2012
MarTin, you aren't interested in FaceBook and TwitTer integration but you are interested in "proper full" Gmail integration. You use MYN but not RTM. What is your USP? Or course, YMMV.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.