ForumsNewsToodledo for iOS downgraded

Toodledo for iOS downgraded
BDA

Posted: Jan 17, 2013
Score: 0 Reference
Any idea when the new version will be available. I used it with no problems and wished that I hadn't "upgraded" to the previous version.

Thanks.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We are currently in the final testing phase. We want to get it right this time, since last time was such a disaster.
Joyce

Looking forward to it!!
bahetc

me too....are you able to give us an idea what you are planning to include in the new release?

Many thanks
Steven_S

Posted: Jan 18, 2013
Any indication re timing?
Recently I've seen a number of new releases (ToDoApps) with nice interfaces/features.
However my iPhone and iPad App works perfect and fit my needs, it misses the right looks...
That said...I'm always looking around for an alternative.
Whilst I need only a major facelift from ToodleDo!!!

Many thanks,

This message was edited Jan 18, 2013.
Jimbobal

Score: 2 Reference
Jake - i want you to know that I think the app you have created is amazing. I loved the new version and I love the old version. All the work you put in to these apps and the web app is more appreciated than you can imagine. You make a real POSITIVE contribution to many peoples lives and for that I am very thankful

Please keep up the great work.
Steven_S

Can we have a preview ? Some screenshots? Thx
Steven_S

Posted: Jan 23, 2013
New app-update...when? Competition is all over the app-store with often very nice designs: Finish, Day2Life, Priorities, ... Give us something "exiting"/preview/...
Jeff Putney

Posted: Jan 25, 2013
Are you going to have saved searches included this time? Now that timers are in the iOS app (Yay!!), that is only missing tool preventing a complete experience on an iDevice.

This message was edited Jan 25, 2013.
Eric_4

Posted: Jan 26, 2013
Score: -1 Reference
Thank you for the downgrade. What I would like to see added to Toodledo is the ability to color tasks in order to highlight certain tasks. I would like to have this not connected to any of the existing keys so that I could highlight any task with any available color. There does not need to be lots of colors but more is better. Sometimes it might be handy to associate one goal or folder with one color and another goal or folder with a different color. It could be handy to have hotlist items be the same color.

This message was edited Jan 26, 2013.
Steven_S

Posted: Jan 29, 2013
Waiting for the update!!!
gmcdaniels

Posted: Jan 29, 2013
Seriously, in agreement with Steven_S, still waiting for the update that was in final testing 11 days ago.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 30, 2013
We don't want to rush this one. The last update almost killed us. We are taking extra time to do extra testing to make sure that this update is solid.
Purveyor

Posted: Jan 30, 2013
It seems to me that you don't fully understand what it was that "almost killed" you.

Who is doing the "extra testing"? Besides you and your team, how many users are involved in testing and providing feedback to you? It would be a good idea if you told us.

What is causing the delay? Two months ago you posted the release notes for the next version but you didn't release it and, since then, you've kept us in the dark about the next version. It would be a good idea if you told us what's happening.

Two weeks ago, you said:
We are currently in the final testing phase. We want to get it right this time, since last time was such a disaster.
Your unwillingness to be open about your plans is one of the reasons for the "disaster". Another reason is the lack of clarity in aligning your priorities with those of many of your users. It would be a good idea if you told us what your priorities are.

On November 17, 2011, you said this:
I am sorry, but we are not going to share our roadmap other than to say that things are on the list. Its not about competitors. The main reason why we keep our roadmap secret is to give us the freedom/flexibility to work on what we want/need to work on without external expectations.

If we started giving estimated delivery dates for features, two things would happen. 1) People would get upset when we didn't make the delivery date. This puts undo pressure on us and I don't want to work under time pressure. 2) People would get upset if they disagreed with what we were spending our time on. I would rather not work this way.
From: https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/6415/-63522/project-handling-display-parent-name-in-sub-task.html

Is this still your viewpoint? It's clear that many people are upset and you are under pressure. All businesses are subject to external expectations and time pressure, and it seems naive to say that people won't disagree with you if you withhold information from them.

Perhaps it's time to be more open.

This message was edited Jan 30, 2013.
mco

Posted: Jan 31, 2013
Posted by Purveyor:
It seems to me that you don't fully understand what it was that "almost killed" you.

Who is doing the "extra testing"? Besides you and your team, how many users are involved in testing and providing feedback to you? It would be a good idea if you told us.
Perhaps it's time to be more open.

As Steve Jobs famously observed, users don't know what they want. Focus groups don't focus. I would rather have one talented person steering than a self-appointed committee.
Joyce

While I understand your point MCO I also have seen Toodledo work some projects that have left me scratching my head. Like the facebook/twitter thing and some of the charts and graphs.

By and large it might be less frustrating for us if they did show us where they were placing resources so we would understand if our desired one was close to completion or "Don't Hold Your Breath" or "Someday"
Purveyor

Score: -1 Reference
Posted by mco:
As Steve Job famously observed, users don't know what they want. Focus groups don't focus. I would rather have one talented person steering than a self-appointed committee.
Perhaps Steve Jobs was a one-in-a-billion genius who knew more than anyone else what people wanted, but Jake is not Steve Jobs. (And Toodledo is definitely not Apple.)
Also, I said nothing about focus groups or self-appointed committees.

If you actually believe that "users don't know what they want", then you create a contradiction whenever you, as a user, express your opinion. For example, here's something that you said about a particular feature of Version 3.0:
It's not great and it's not good design.
From iOS app update: Version 3.0

Who are you to decide what's great and what is good design? Why are you even expressing your opinion? Why don't you just leave things to "one talented person"? Because you think that your opinion means something, and I agree.

In any case, my previous post was not so much about Jake listening to what users want (although that's obviously part of the message) as it is about Jake being more open about what he is doing. Specifically, he should be giving us a clue about what is happening with the next release of the iOS app. If, though, he continues to insist on being secretive (because he doesn't want to be "under pressure"), then he increases the risk of another "disaster" (his word not mine) and then he'll really be under pressure.

This message was edited Jan 31, 2013.
mco

Score: 4 Reference
Posted by Purveyor:
Posted by mco:
As Steve Job famously observed, users don't know what they want. Focus groups don't focus. I would rather have one talented person steering than a self-appointed committee.
Perhaps Steve Jobs was a one-in-a-billion genius who knew more than anyone else what people wanted, but Jake is not Steve Jobs. (And Toodledo is definitely not Apple.)
Also, I said nothing about focus groups or self-appointed committees.

If you actually believe that "users don't know what they want", then you create a contradiction whenever you, as a user, express your opinion. For example, here's something that you said about a particular feature of Version 3.0:
It's not great and it's not good design.
From iOS app update: Version 3.0

Who are you to decide what's great and what is good design? Why are you even expressing your opinion? Why don't you just leave things to "one talented person"? Because you think that your opinion means something, and I agree.

In any case, my previous post was not so much about Jake listening to what users want (although that's obviously part of the message) as it is about Jake being more open about what he is doing. Specifically, he should be giving us a clue about what is happening with the next release of the iOS app. If, though, he continues to insist on being secretive (because he doesn't want to be "under pressure"), then he increases the risk of another "disaster" (his word not mine) and then he'll really be under pressure.

The early reaction of a large number of people to a new version of something is usually a good indicator of how it will be received. In this case, there were issues. Jake has taken his lumps, and he's being careful and cautious. I would be too. On the other hand, the identification of "desirable features" by users prior to launch and their inclusion is not a good indicator of how it will be received. Design by committee and creeping feature lists have well-known problems. I have seen many feature requests for Toodledo and similar software that were unrealistic and misguided. Design is an art, and often involves hidden trade-offs. Jake has a very good record of including new features at a brisk pace while preserving older functionality, and I recommend waiting with patience and understanding.
Salgud

Score: 4 Reference
Posted by mco:

I have seen many feature requests for Toodledo and similar software that were unrealistic and misguided. Design is an art, and often involves hidden trade-offs. Jake has a very good record of including new features at a brisk pace while preserving older functionality, and I recommend waiting with patience and understanding.

Well said.

This message was edited Jan 31, 2013.
steve

Posted: Feb 03, 2013
Posted by Salgud:
Posted by mco:

I have seen many feature requests for Toodledo and similar software that were unrealistic and misguided. Design is an art, and often involves hidden trade-offs. Jake has a very good record of including new features at a brisk pace while preserving older functionality, and I recommend waiting with patience and understanding.

Well said.

Well said - I agree
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.