ForumsNewsScheduled Maintenance Wednesday 7pm CST

Scheduled Maintenance Wednesday 7pm CST
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 11, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
Toodledo will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on Wednesday Aug 12th at 7pm CST. During this maintenance window, we will be migrating everything over to our newer, better, faster, stronger servers. You can read more about the migration here: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/2581/0/toodledo-migrating-to-new-servers.html

During this maintenance window, Toodledo will be offline. We will try to keep it to a minimum, but we do expect it to take at least 30 minutes.

If you need access to your to-do list during this window, we suggest that you plan ahead and print out a copy, or export it as a CSV file that you can load into a spreadsheet.
Sam

Score: 0 Reference
Good luck!
fencepost

You may already have this in the works, but since you know this is coming there are a few things you should do:

* Change your DNS lifetime to a short period, so you can redirect IPs and have it take effect quickly
* Set up hosting with a simple page that your domain(s) will point to during the downtime
* Set up that page with a "We're in a maintenance window to improve service" type page, probably including the information from your "new servers" post. If feasible, put all your static sales, etc. content on there but minus the signup and login links.
* Have some way to update that page if it's taking longer than expected.

Basically, don't disappear from the net while you're doing the move. Just as important, if the move takes all night instead of a few hours, have that information out there.
Allen

That's almost insulting, do you presume Toodledo has no idea how to run a web service? In the past, they have been very good about keeping us abreast of the situation when there is maintenance and/or problems.
fencepost

The reason I posted it was reading something, probably a couple of months ago, written by someone maintaining a fairly significant web service. I'm blanking on where/when exactly I read it and have no good way to track it down.

The basic gist of the article was that they had a standard "we're down for maintenance" page that they put up, and they either heard from someone about lost business or went through and did the math on number of likely gone-forever potential signups lost during their downtime. Heck, it might've been that they had VC folks trying to look at their site during their downtime.

Regardless of the precise details of the situation, the conclusion was to not be satisfied with a somewhat-standard "down for maintenance" page, to go for as close to normal and/or informative as possible.

I had a similar experience recently with reQall - I hadn't used it in a while, and when I went to the website to see if anything had changed I got a page that they were upgrading, changing, having a long lunch, something like that. No details, no timeframe for being back, etc. I went looking for their Twitter feed to see if they were still around, because my initial reaction was "Oh, they burned through a bunch of VC money and shut down."

This message was edited Aug 11, 2009.
Linden

Posted: Aug 12, 2009
When Toodledo was down earlier in the year due to unexpected power outages in their server's datacenter, they were very good at keeping us abreast of the moment-to-moment progress.

I expect the same level of service will be provided with tonight's migration.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.