ForumsNewsToodledo for iPad / iPhone version 2.0

Toodledo for iPad / iPhone version 2.0
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 13, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Our iPhone/iPad app has just been given a big update, including the oft requested Notebook support, as well as preliminary support for French and Italian translations.

✔ This was probably our number one feature request. We are happy to announce the addition of notebook functionality.
You can now keep track of notes as well as tasks and sync them seemlessly to Toodledo.com. This initial release contains
all the basic functionality needed to manage your notebooks. Missing features that will be coming in a future release are
notebook sorting and notebook searching.
✔ Added indicator on lists to show if a task has an alarm or not.
✔ The filter sheet will now remember what filter page you were on last time.
✔ Fixed iPad bug where you couldn't see what you were typing when adding a task with a long name.
✔ Fixed iPad bug where the keyboard would cover the bottom of a note when editing a long note.
✔ Fixed iPhone bug where it might not have been able to see the end of a very long note.
✔ Fixed iPhone bug where the list was scrolled back to the top whenever you returned to it.
✔ On iPad, added general setting for having wider lists which can display additional information below the task.
✔ Fixed issue where editing folders was having really narrow textfields
✔ Fixed bug where deleting a task via the swipe gesture wouldn't visibly remove the task from the right side of the iPad.
✔ Added translations for French and Italian.

If Toodledo helps you be more productive, please consider giving us a rating/review in the iTunes App Store. Even if you have rated us before, you can rate us again with each new update that we release. It really does help us to have good ratings.

Thanks
David

Posted: Jun 14, 2010
The new update rocks! Toodledo is seriously the best Todo app on the app store because of all these frequent updates :)
jmla

Thanks for the french localization. I feel lost, my toodledo in french !! You found no translation to toodledo, happily.
Even if some word are missing (no name under the note icon or no title in preferences>general on the 4ht line) it's sound great french. No more reason to do not have GTD habits !!
Next step the gui on the wen (please)
Thanks
jean-marc

This message was edited Jun 14, 2010.
brevious

Hi, on the French version I also found that within the note section, when selecting a folder, the back button is not displayed at the top left. In preferences there are still some items showing up in English. Thanks for your good job.

Fabien
Andrew A

1) Thanks!
2) Found a label jumping bug, Iphone 3gs

Select all tasks, click the back/tasks arrow button on top.

Once it goes back to the main screen, all the label text below the top section (All Tasks, Hotlist, Starred), jumps left then shifts right back into the right position(e.g., folders, contexts, due dates, priorities does this little left-right shuffle).

Works whenever you go back (so not tied to just all tasks), the top labels stay anchored, the lower labels dance.

Edit: Thanks @melchiz1 for confirming. Support ticket created.

melchizW

seeing the same thing
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Strangely, we haven't been able to reproduce this bug. Can you please create a support ticket and post your device details (type of device, OS version)

Thanks
eykanal

Thanks a bunch for the notebook addition! Its a very welcome feature.

Some initial thoughts after briefly using it:
- The (default?) font size used to show note titles is too small. From a purely visual comparison, it looks smaller than the font size used for the to-do list.
- The black bar on the bottom is a good idea! I think it could be made even better so that it only is ALWAYS visible on the "main screen"; i.e., the top level views. Once I'm in the task view, I'd rather have the screen used to display my task than to give me a choice to go back to the notebook or settings.
- When viewing a note, the current method used to show title and folder are odd, at best. The way you to it in the "task details" view, with a small-font blue-colored text used to show the field name and larger black text to show the field value, seems to me a better way to go about that.
- I'm not sure why you still use 15 or 20 pixels to display the "added" and "last modified" info when viewing a note (or a to-do item, for that matter). That's useful screen real estate; put that as another cell, at the bottom of the view... people can scroll down to see it if they need it.
- Since you don't have rich text editing for your notes online, I personally have used basic HTML in my notes to make basic headers and stuff. This makes some sense online when "viewing" and "editing" are two different views, but on the iPod where it's all one view I just see raw HTML. I'm not sure how you should handle that.
- I'm missing the "sync" button from the main taskbar. I know it's still there in the "settings" menu, but you didn't list that in the ChangeLog, and I use that button regularly to force updates (such as after I make a change when not in connected to a wireless network, which is pretty often).

All in all, though, a good addition. Thanks!
Claudio

Posted by Toodledo:
This was probably our number one feature request. We are happy to announce the addition of notebook functionality.
You can now keep track of notes as well as tasks and sync them seemlessly to Toodledo.com. This initial release contains all the basic functionality needed to manage your notebooks. Missing features that will be coming in a future release are notebook sorting and notebook searching.
I realize that this is a big improvement, having gone from no sync to full sync of notebook entries, but there are some features I need before I switch from Google Docs to Toodledo for storing my notes.

1. Ability to change a Task to a Note. (If I'm going to copy, then create a Note, then paste, then edit the title, then save, I might as well do this in Google Docs, which offers much more functionality.)
2. Choice to have separate folders for Tasks and Notes. (Or the ability to hide folders.)
3. Tags, and the ability to use the same tags as are used with tasks.
4. Direct links to individual notes.
5. Rich text formatting without using HTML tags.
6. Import by email.
7. Attachments. (For Pro Plus users.)

djembe1

Thank you for the notebook addition, though the 2.0 version hasn't pushed Appigo's Notebook off my home page, I expect that the .1 or .2 will, just as their ToDo app was gradually replaced by 1.x of Toodledo.

Basically the suggestions I have all have to do with seeing more of the note. Working from bottom to top...

I agree with eykanal that the black bar is a good idea, and that it shouldn't be on the detail view, either for tasks or notes.

I do like having the dates available, but I agree that putting them at the (scrollable) bottom of the note would make them available on the rare occasions I want them, but out of the way otherwise. I'd rather do without them than lose note-reading space to them.

My key dislike is losing 1/4 the note's available space to let me change the note title and folder. Please, please, please find a way to make them only show up once I've touched "Edit". When I'm reading a note, I don't need a constant reminder of title and folder - and if I did, the folder is above, in the "Back" button, And the first word or two could be displayed instead of "Notebook Details". I'd rather the complete title be bolded and placed at the top of the scrollable note area, so like the dates, it would be gone from the screen most of the time. If you can make the title and folder edit areas scroll along with the note text, that would be fine.

I like the addition. And because I've seen how you are always listening, and continually improving Toodledo, both the web and the iPhone app, I'm sure there are even better things ahead. Thanks again.
PeterW 

Hi,

Thanks for the update. A few comments follow:

1. I'm seeing the same issue with the labels/icons on the home screen. It appears to be a problem with the way the home screen slides in (iPhone 3GS 16gig).

2. I have some html tags in a few notebooks which works fine on the website but of course doesn't look great on the iPhone.

3. Not a big deal but removal of the sync button on the main screen is a minor issue for those who like to sync manually.

Cheers,
Peter.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

We have found and fixed the left-right jiggle problem. It will be in the next update, which we will submit to Apple soon.

As for the sync button. It has been moved into the settings section. You can get there with 1 click on the tab at the bottom of the screen. This is actually more efficient than it was before, where it sometimes required tapping the back button 3 or more times.
Transisto

Score: -3 Reference
I'm speechless,

can I revert to the previous version ?

What is notebook for ? like a piece of paper but it's not?...
(my view is small enough without that 3 button bar (useless to me).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2479243/WEBIMG/IMG_0107.PNG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2479243/WEBIMG/IMG_0108.PNG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2479243/WEBIMG/IMG_0109.PNG

Are updates being tested or we're all be putting our productivity on the line to find obvious bugs ?

Ps: This happen when I turn the iPhone from vertical to horizontal...

Jake

Toodledo Founder
We do test our apps quite a bit before releasing them. Beta testers also help. The left-right jiggle bug only appears on 3rd generation devices (3GS and iPod touch 3) running OS 3.1.3. This happens to be a device that we don't have (our 3GS has been upgraded to 4.0 for testing, and our remaining 3.1.3 devices are 2nd generation). None of our beta testers reported this bug either. We have already fixed it and will submit it to Apple in a few days after we do some more testing to make sure we fixed it properly. It is just a temporary display bug, so it shouldn't be anything more than a slight nuisance. But in any case, we do apologize. As Apple is introducing more and more devices, it is becoming more difficult to test on all of them, especially when you have to account for all the different OS versions as well.
Transisto

Score: 1 Reference
sorry I didn't knew there could be such a difference between 3.1.2 and 3.1.3

As for the notebook, now that it's here I might learn to use it.
Unfortunately as an old user I felt it being imposed on me given the prominence of the black stripe.
Peter S...

Posted: Jun 15, 2010
It is a shame we have lost screen space for this. In the next release, I hope you will consider a way to provide a notebook/task toggle button without sacrificing so much viewing area.

Maybe have that bar on the main (tasks) screen only? It is usually only one step away.

Thanks.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2010.
Davide.Salomoni

Thanks for the update. I live in Italy, and I appreciate that you are now providing an Italian translation. However, I'd rather not have the Toodledo app in Italian. Is there / will there be a way to revert the app language back to English?

Cheers,
Davide

PS regardless of my request above, here are some quirks with the Italian translation:

- main view, typo: "Cantrassegnata" is wrong, should be "Contrassegnate".

- In "settings -> general -> preferences": not all items are translated. (e.g., "makes scrolling a little slower" and "groups items in a list" are still in English)

- the text of some settings is not entirely visible, e.g. in settings -> synchronization, the second on/off switch is labeled "Sincronizza ad ogni modific" --> should be "Sincronizza ad ogni modifica". Ditto in "preferences".

- "Cartello applicazione" (application badge) is a literal translation which sounds quite funny. I doubt many would use this expression in real life; the word "badge" is found in Italian dictionaries since the early 80's and is commonly used untranslated.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2010.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
The language off the app is controlled by the language settings on your iPhone. Apple does not provide a way for the language to be selected on a per-app basis.

If you want to help us improve the Italian translation, please contribute your ideas here: http://www.toodledo.com/translate
jogo2

Some issues that I've seen (using a 3GS, ver 3.1.3):

- start page setting doesn't always stay at "hotlist," rather it has reset for me a couple of times to "tasks home."

- fields seem to appear in a fixed order when viewing a task, regardless of the order chosen in task "fields and defaults"

- moving any field from the "used" to the "unused" group removes the bottom field from the task display, regardless of which field was designated "unused."

- there is no "remind me" field to re-order or designate as unused in "fields and defaults." It seems to be coupled with due date, but I'd prefer it to be independent.

Thanks.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
John, I have not been able to replicate your first bug.

Bugs 2 and 3 are the same. You need to refresh the task page after changing the settings to have them take effect. We'll see if we can have it refresh automatically, but for now, just press the back button and then click the task again.

Bug 4 is the intended behavior right now. "remind me" is coupled with due-date, because it requires due-date to be enabled.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.