ForumsNewsAPI 2.0

API 2.0
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 29, 2010
Score: 2 Reference
Our Developer's API has received a major update today, to version 2.0.

I realize that this may not be the most exciting announcement for most people, but it is exciting for us because we have been working hard on this for the last few months with a few key developers. We think that this update will enable new third-party apps, and enhance and improve existing apps.

With this update:

1) Batch Actions: Third-party apps will now be able to sync up to 25 times faster than previously by being able to send batch updates to Toodledo. Example: If you have 25 new tasks to add to the website, you can now do this with one action instead of 25 separate actions.

2) Locations: It is now possible to sync Locations between Toodledo and your third-party app.

3) Meta-data: Each third-party application can now store private data along with each user's tasks. This will enable apps to sync custom data to Toodledo without sticking it somewhere visible, like in the task's note. Each third-party app will get its own private hidden field, so you can sync multiple apps with your account without them getting in each others way.

4) Dates and Times: All dates and times are now sent in computer readable GMT unix timestamps. No more converting for different timezones.

5) Error Codes: All errors now have proper error codes that are documented and consistent.

6) Bandwidth Savings: It is now possible to select which fields you want returned from the API. If you are only interested in task title and priority, then you can have the API return only these fields. This will save considerable bandwidth (up to 80%), which reduces sync time and saves the user money (if the user is on a metered connection).

7) JSON: The API now supports JSON in addition to XML.

Documentation: http://api.toodledo.com

The old 1.0 API will continue to function as-is for the foreseeable future, but developers should migrate to take advantage of all the improvements.
weslly

Score: 0 Reference
Awesome update, keep up the great work!
Levi Wallach

Score: 1 Reference
Thanks. My main issue is that you seem to have left out the one big missing piece (that's been missing for a while) from the API: custom searches! Are you going to add this anytime soon or do we have to wait for 3.0 sometime in the distant future?
TaskJot

Score: 1 Reference
Kudos for the awesome update!

All of the features added were truly needed and its great that they were added. I know a lot of work went into doing this. Thanks!

+1 for the custom searches
I'd also like to see collaboration added to the API :)
ttorimoto

Honestly, seriously - the private meta-data is awesome.
Andrew A

Posted by ttorimoto:
Honestly, seriously - the private meta-data is awesome.

It's one of the reasons I avoided other third-party apps (not that I don't like Toodledo's), but it seemed to me that that was the last thing I wanted considering how much I use the web interface...
Technocrap

Today is a bright day.

This message was edited Oct 30, 2010.
benny

I know there are a lot of nice things in this update and I'm a huge TD fan, but no support for custom searches in the API is a fail. It should've been in the API all along and it really baffles me as to why it's not there. Trust me - I get the great additions in this update and 2.0 is definitely a huge improvement, but I'm bitterly disappointed that searches aren't there as they could add so much flexibility to custom apps and commercial apps.
Technocrap

Posted: Oct 30, 2010
Posted by benny:
... no support for custom searches ...

I have to agree that custom searches is one of toodledo most powerfull feature.

But I don't see what stops 3rd party from doing their own custom search.
Dave

I know that Pocket Informant is working on custom filters for an upcoming version. Maybe that is what you are looking for.
DarylGriffiths

Great news which, while it won't directly benefit me immediately, tells me that Toodledo is being not only developed but also with a very wise eye to how it can grow and continue to be a fabulous product.

Keep it up!

This message was edited Oct 30, 2010.
benny

Of course you can implement your own saved/custom search functionality - I've done it for multiple applications that sync with TD. The point is that I shouldn't have to. It means that there are a set of saved searches in TD that are completely inaccessible to clients - you have to re-implement the entire functionality or a subset of it and define your own searches. It also means that for multiple platforms you have to implement the functionality - again and again. It means that if you tweak your system you have to make sure to tweak ALL your custom/saved searches or tasks won't show up and get done.

Saved searches are so powerful - I use them for 100% of my work on the TD site. A simple use case for them is to be able to access those searches via another client. If their business case for not doing it is so that 3rd party clients are somewhat crippled then that's their choice - I don't know since they've never stated a reason for it and I wouldn't expect them to do so given their policy on discussing the TD roadmap (which is still LIGHT years ahead of RTM and others). I would be surprised if you went to a forum/group devoted to any client/app that syncs with TD and weren't able to find multiple posts that were feature requests for adding support for saved searches. I know I've seen them over and over for multiple products through the last 2 - 2 1/2 years or so - however long it's been since I migrated to TD. I know that my current choice for my mobile app, Got To Do for Android, has definitely had them numerous times on their group. I know it's the first thing that I was really disappointed about when I started writing my first app that used the TD API when I first started using TD.

Again, this isn't bashing TD - I can't stress enough that I love the product and haven't even tried alternatives (except for one dalliance with another product when I moved to my Android phone because they have an Android app - I wish I could take back those couple of horrible months). I know resources are thin - as an architect I've led many large and small teams over the years and there have been many times where we've had to cut scope when the team was small and the things that were cut were like our kids - it just didn't make sense except that the numbers didn't lie when you crunched them. That doesn't mean that I didn't expect some very disappointed (or angry) people when they heard the news.

In this case, I expect to be in the very small minority as most everyone will not care much about this. However, there are those who do - and we'll hang in there.
Technocrap

Posted: Oct 31, 2010
Completely agree with you Benny.

I personally have springboard icons that link directly to my customs searches. And that help.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 01, 2010
When we started working on API 2.0, we polled our top developers and asked them what they wanted, and this is what we came up with together. Saved searches wasn't a top priority for them. Our top developers are very pleased with API 2.0. Saved searches are still on our to-do list, and we plan to add them in the future.
Levi Wallach

Glad they are still on the to-do list.

As far as why they are needed, many people use them in order to filter their todo's according to their own needs. Having to recreate these searches (as a user) for every different client that I go to is a huge pain. I'm sure creating the functionality is a huge pain for the developer as well. Likewise the two implementations I've seen for other clients out there don't implement them in the same way or as powerfully as Toodledo does. I realize doing som might have taken some more resources, but I'm pretty dissapointed that a very new feature within Toodledo (locations) got its functionality added to the API before this long-standing one did - been waiting for it for a while...
benny

@ToodleDo - thanks for the info. I look forward to the announcement of support for them as that will be a happy day. I'll be up all night that night adding support for them in my apps :)

benster
piyush_soni

Posted: Nov 03, 2010
@Topic:
Congratulations! These are some really nice enhancements.
will.sargent

Posted: Nov 21, 2010
YAY!
OmniSwift

Posted: Dec 05, 2010
2.0 is only Too Cool! Kudos!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.