ForumsQuestionsSearch for Parent without any INCOMPLETE subtasks

Search for Parent without any INCOMPLETE subtasks
Glenn Huther

Posted: Sep 20, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
Hi!

I use a GTD model (with projects as parent tasks).

A very important step in the GTD system is to make sure all projects have at lease one "Next Action".

I've searched and searched and cannot find a way to do this, (I've only found really old - 1-2 years old - forums posts asking for the same thing eg http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/6797/-35627/search-for-parent-tasks-based-on-subtasks.html )

Is it yet possible to search for projects that:
- Have ZERO incomplete subtasks (Ie subtasks that are not NOT "checked off" ... or even those with a particular status)

If this is not yet possible... I encourage you to escalate it given it's such an important part of the GTD system.

Even if it's a single custom written criteria (I.e "Is Parent without active subtasks")... at least that would get us by.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 20, 2012
Unfortunately, this isn't possible, but it is on our to-do list. However, we do not comment on timeframes for implementation.

Thanks
Glenn Huther

Posted: Sep 21, 2012
Ok, glad to hear it's on the to-do list.

In case it helps anyone one with the same query that comes across this discussion, here's my current two-step process that seems to achieve the desired result, manually.

== Saved Search 1 - Projects without ANY subtasks ==
Context is .Projects
Checked off is NO
Has Subtasks is NO

Might as well catch these easy ones first.
@ All these need a "next action" subtask added

== Saved Search 2 - All projects ==
Context is .Projects
Checked off is NO

@ Set ^Show to "Indented"
@ Use your browser to find the text "old completed" and add a "next action" subtask to these as well.
JPR

Posted: Sep 21, 2012
I use a single saved search that looks up all projects and only shows subtasks that are next actions. It's pretty easy to scan this list and quickly identify projects without next actions. I identify projects and next actions a little differently than you... adapting to your fields, I think yours would look like this:

Match ANY of the following critera (Make sure you change this from the default ALL)

Checked Off is NO
AND
Context is .Projects

OR

Checked Off is NO
AND
Is Subtask YES
AND
Status is Next Action

* you need to have subtasks indented. BTW, I try to keep my search tab always set to indented, (along with the global setting "Indented mode shows loose subtasks"). I use the permanent link feature constantly to isolate parent/subtasks, and it opens in the search tab, so indented is best. That setting plays nice with my other custom searches. YMMV.
Glenn Huther

Posted: Sep 24, 2012
Thanks JPR!

I've got 80 "Active" projects and 105 "planning" projects so this method presents a fairly daunting list.

HOWEVER it's probably the best option I've got so perhaps it's my system needs to change!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.