ForumsQuestionsI want to print my tasks like a normal person

I want to print my tasks like a normal person
ben

Posted: Oct 30, 2013
Score: 1 Reference
So I got all moved over to Toodledo this morning and so far so good. Its got all the features I was looking for--especially the whole email-a-task feature which only you do right. But...

Then I go to print a list of tasks. I delegate a lot of my tasks to people who don't have/need accounts or phones or tablets--just a piece of paper telling them what to do that day. Its the simplest solution. But the task list is tiny. REALLY TINY. Like 4 or 5 point tiny. Really? "Ok, there must be a way to solve this", I figure.

So I start digging around, here and on the web. I get a few solutions that not only don't work, but are actually insane:

1. Use the browser functions to change the print size. So this means I have to dig three layers deep in chrome to change the font size--which also changes the screen font size--print my list and then change it back so I'm not staring at huge letters on my screen. But this doesn't change the column widths, which are fixed, so you can't read half the task anymore. Dumb.

2. Export your tasks to a csv file and use Excel to print them. (this one actually came from a Toodledo employee). Ok, fine. Since its going to be ugly anyway (until now, that was Toodledo's only failure) I'll try it. But you can't export just a subset of your tasks, you have to do all of them. Which means I have to start over each time filtering out what I don't need and then formatting the page. And I have to do this every day? @#$% that!

I just don't understand how this is not something that TD hasn't budged on for 5 years! Why can you go to the trouble of making a foldable booklet but you can't print out a task list that anyone over the age of 25 can read?

I apologize for the ranting. I appreciate this software and think you guys are at least the functional best. But paper isn't going away anytime soon, and some of your users NEED TO PRINT THEIR TASK LISTS.

Here's what a printed list should look like:
1. Font size that at least matches the screen font size, not 1/3 the size. Adjustable preferably.
2. Auto-adjusting column widths. Because our paper isn't the same width as our screen and you're just wasting it. Also, I shouldn't have to see ellipses when there's 2 inches of white space in the next column.
3. Option to hide columns. Not essential, but since I have your attention, it would be nice.

Thank you.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 30, 2013
Score: 0 Reference
Thanks for the feedback. Since Toodledo is designed to replace the paper to-do list, we haven't put a lot of effort into making beautiful prints. We realized that some people need to do this, so we plan to improve this in the future.
ben

Posted: Oct 31, 2013
Thanks. Sorry again for the rant. I wrote that after trying to solve the problem on my own for about 3 hours, so I was a little frustrated.
kbryant

Posted: Nov 27, 2013
Score: 2 Reference
Ben, You might need to apologize for your rant, but what you say is right on. This is a ridiculous problem. Their response to you that they are geared towards a paperless user only add fuel to my fire. - Kenny
kleimon

Posted: Dec 15, 2013
I agree. At 66 wearing trifocals when I go to edit a task I can't see. I love Toodledo but an now learning One Note so I can at least see what I'm typing!
DSM_2

Posted: Dec 18, 2013
At the very worst, they should turn off the print capability if it is not working and only turn it on when it is. I can't imagine anyone finding 4 point font easy to read, so I can't imagine this feature is being used. If they haven't got time to make`it work now (which is understandable), they should at least not confuse the customers (as they apparently have) by offering it up as a working feature.
JPR

Posted: Dec 19, 2013
Try printing from the mobile site using your browser print function. (Ctrl+P) It's not perfect, but you may be pleasantly surprised.

m.toodledo.com
Joyce

Posted: Dec 24, 2013
I had an issue with this and solved it with brute force. I print my tasks (in my case with the notes for each task displayed) then I take the printed copy and photocopy at 150%. It comes out very legibly and at a normal print size. Due to restrictions where I work toodledo collaboration isn't an option.

When I was preparing a records review I did this again, (150% enlarge)turning the paper to landscape and had a very accessible and manageable worksheet.

I usually work online, but many of my co-workers need to know what items I'm looking for, so lists get printed fairly frequently. I may yet have to buy a sub, but so far I've been making it work without.
ekspain

Posted: May 09, 2014
I solved it by changing the "scale" in the print dialog.
DSM_2

Posted: May 12, 2014
Is this still a problem?? I did printouts recently in landscape and the font size seemed good. I thought that they had fixed the font size, but now I wonder.
jos.geerts

Posted: Jun 30, 2014
I print to A4 size in PDF, open the PDF in Nitro Reader, change the paper size to A3, and scale to 'Expand to fill printable area'.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.