ForumsQuestionsNotifications Do Not Work on iOS 7.0.3

Notifications Do Not Work on iOS 7.0.3
AA

Posted: Nov 02, 2013
Score: 1 Reference
Please help me with this urgent issue. Since upgrading to iOS 7.0.3 on both my iPad and iPhone, and running the latest Toodledo app version, Toodledo notifications no longer work for me. Notifications from other apps work fine. I have set them up as alerts, that is: to be dismissed manually from center of the screen.

What happens if the iPad/iPhone is in active use, is that the notification pop-up window appears for a split second and instantly disappears. I don't even have the time to register what the window says. The window should remain visible until I push a button to open Toodledo (view the task), or to dismiss the pop-up window. Then, when I pull down the iOS notifications pane, there is nothing from Toodledo there. I have no way to find out what that notification was about!

Even worse: when the iPad/iPhone is *not* in use, I will *never* get to see the notification. It may appear for a split second while the iDevice is in sleep mode, lighting up the screen temporarily, but it instantly auto-dismisses. I will *not* find the notification later on when consulting the iOS notifications screen. Toodledo notifications are *nowhere* to be found: neither in the "All" section, nor in the "Missed" section. This despite them being enabled in iOS notifications settings.

I also possess an old iPad 1 running (of course) iOS 5, where Toodledo notifications continue working properly.

Please help. Thank you.
AA

Score: 0 Reference
Notifications have now started arriving on my iPhone (I have no idea why), but they are still not arriving on my iPad 3. I have taken every precaution imaginable, but nothing helps. I found the following thread in Apple user forums:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23012166#23012166

I tried everything suggested there, including factory-resetting the iPad 3 and restoring it from an iCloud backup, but everything remains as before:

* If a Toodledo notification arrives while the iPad is in use, it only appears for a split second and instantly disappears. It is *not* stored among notifications.

* If a Toodledo notification arrives while the iPad is in sleep mode, the iPad's lock-screen lights up for a few seconds, but remains empty. Neither the notification appears on the lock-screen, nor is it stored among notifications for later reference. I have correctly set all permissions for Toodledo notifications to appear as alerts and to remain stored on the lock-screen (up until 20 recent items), but nothing is ever stored there. My notifications arrive from the server to all 3 iDevices simultaneously.

Thank you for your help, if possible. Not receiving notifications from PIM software is a dealbreaker. It appears that some other apps on the iPad might also have the same issue; not all apps, though, because notifications from a number of apps do appear on that iPad.
AA

Without having touched any setting since my previous post, out of the next batch of test notifications, *some* arrived on the problematic iPad, but some were skipped as before. The process seems completely random and unpredictable = unreliable. Any assistance from you will be appreciated. (This issue is no longer as urgent now that at least the *phone* seems to be receiving all notifications, but I also rely on my iPad notifications.) Thank you.
AA

Posted: Nov 03, 2013
Hello,

The crisis continues, in "reversed mode". I received my most recent work-related Toodledo notification only on the iPad. On the iPhone in sleep mode, the screen only lit up for a few seconds, without displaying anything. The notification was nowhere to be found (neither under "All", nor under "Missed"). This makes Toodledo's notifications practically worthless. If I'm in the street and the iPhone doesn't alert me to a notification, it doesn't help that the same notification pops up on the iPad somewhere in the office or at home. I need to be receiving the notifications *both* on the iPad and iPhone. Under iOS 6, iOS 5, iOS 4, iOS 3, this was never an issue. My iPad 1 running iOS 5 still displays all notifications just as it should. I wish I could downgrade to iOS 6 on both iPad and iPhone to bring this nightmare to an end. But that's not possible, I gather, not even via jailbreak.

Any assistance from you will be appreciated. It is very difficult to accept that I have a Toodledo Gold subscription, but have basically lost the notifications functionality. If I cannot rely on notifications to be received, I might as well not even bother to set them up.

Thank you.

This message was edited Nov 03, 2013.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
I have noticed this too and we have been trying to figure out what is going wrong. It is a very difficult problem to find because it happens randomly and as soon as we start looking at it, it starts working correctly. We will keep investigating this.

In the meantime, switching the alarms to come from the device instead of the website may help, and you can set yourself an email alarm, or SMS alarm also if you wish. Sorry for the inconvenience.
AA

Thank you, Jake. I realize that Apple most likely screwed up here. iOS 7 has been a nightmare for me in all kinds of other respects, too. I'll never again upgrade to another major iOS version, unless upgrading will be 100% unavoidable. As soon as my mission-critical apps (including Toodledo) are available on Android, I'm likely to make the switch, because I'm totally fed up with iOS at this point.

Local notifications aren't quite practicable for me, and as you say, they might not get displayed properly, either. I may give it a try, but... they would be very frustrating to use. I typically set up my Toodledo alarms on a desktop or notebook computer, or on an iPad, for that matter. (I use Toodledo on 3 iDevices.) Now, should I forget to sync the Toodledo app manually on all other iDevices every time after setting up/editing an alert on another device or computer, I would (as happens now) not get notified about the alarm at all. In effect, local alarms might turn out to be just as unreliable as the non-delivered server-side alerts are now. :(

If you find out a way to resolve this, please let me know. All kinds of unimportant and trivial notifications seem to be working fine for me on iOS 7... but the one alert type I had been relying on most on an everyday basis for the last few years -- Toodledo notifications -- iOS 7 pretty much destroyed them.

This message was edited Nov 03, 2013.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 04, 2013
Ok. It took me all day, but I have figured out what was happening here. It does appear to be an iOS 7 bug and I have reported it to Apple. Here is what was happening. If your phone was locked (not on) AND a remote alert arrived AND the badge on the Toodledo app was set to a non-zero value AND the badge needed to be updated to be zero, then the alert would not be displayed.

I have worked around this bug by never sending a badge of zero. What this means is that if your app badge is supposed to be zero, it may display a stale non-zero number until you launch the app. However, all messages should now arrive and be displayed in the notification center. When apple fixes this bug we will resume sending badges=0. So, it is fixed now.
AA

Posted: Nov 06, 2013
Many thanks, Jake. It does appear to be fixed, at least based on my most recent notifcations -- they were all delivered correctly to all 3 iDevices.

The symptoms on my devices were different, though. For one thing, I have my badges set up to show the number of today's + overdue tasks so that, by definition, when a notification arrives notifying me about today's event (almost all of my notifications do that), the badge could not have been set to zero nor was it supposed to be updated to zero. I don't use remote badge updates. I never experimented with badge settings while troubleshooting the notifications issue, as it never occurred to me there could be a connection.

Further, there was that weird bug of when the iPad was in active use, the alert would only appear for a split second (not even long enough to read the alert), and auto-dismiss. This appears to be fixed now as well: the alert stays visible now, waiting for user input.

Thank you again!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.